Bricklink's AFOL Designer Program 2019

1 minute ago, Graham Bailey said:

Bare in mind its a $3000 minimum purchase

i think that stopped a lot of sellers from buying in at first. with the results of the secondary market sales showing up i think they will move faster. i hope i don't miss another opportunity ?‍♂️

5 minutes ago, isawred said:

i think that stopped a lot of sellers from buying in at first. with the results of the secondary market sales showing up i think they will move faster. i hope i don't miss another opportunity ?‍♂️

I looked at the "what if" worst case scenario, most all of the sets are around the 0.10 per part margin (less at wholesale) and there are quite a few HTF parts. So I see absolute worse case is break even, I don't see it as a gamble if ya can't loose other than the time to part them out, which won't be too bad once the inventories show up.

At the moment Bricklink is sending members to the resellers on the home page, which is likely getting the high price sales.

IF they do this again, that would help.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Graham Bailey said:

I looked at the "what if" worst case scenario, most all of the sets are around the 0.10 per part margin (less at wholesale) and there are quite a few HTF parts. So I see absolute worse case is break even, I don't see it as a gamble if ya can't loose other than the time to part them out, which won't be too bad once the inventories show up.

At the moment Bricklink is sending members to the resellers on the home page, which is likely getting the high price sales.

IF they do this again, that would help.

sounds to be spoken from a veteran! the parts/part-out business is still something i am learning about. you're right, no loss at those #'s but a potential long wait for return. speaking of long wait... lol... december shipment may miss the x-mas shopping season.... 

7 minutes ago, isawred said:

sounds to be spoken from a veteran! the parts/part-out business is still something i am learning about. you're right, no loss at those #'s but a potential long wait for return. speaking of long wait... lol... december shipment may miss the x-mas shopping season.... 

Even if you wait  a year and sell the sets bought wholsale at regular price 7% goes to fees, at 15% off you make 8% and at 20% off you make 13% - not a fortune but better than money sitting in the bank at what 2% or 3%... at least that's how i justified the purchase

I don't see these going "Café Corner" price wise, but that didn't sell in huge numbers in the beginning, enough to begat "Green Grocer" then modular's went hot!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Graham Bailey said:

I don't see these going "Café Corner" price wise, but that didn't sell in huge numbers in the beginning, enough to begat "Green Grocer" then modular's went hot!

fun thought: This concept "ADP" continues for years! the original sets turn out just like the above mentioned because no one could buy that many ... after all most people could only buy 3 max. most sellers are staying away. recipe for value i say! 

pipe dream/fantasy - likely 

14 minutes ago, isawred said:

fun thought: This concept "ADP" continues for years! the original sets turn out just like the above mentioned because no one could buy that many ... after all most people could only buy 3 max. most sellers are staying away. recipe for value i say! 

pipe dream/fantasy - likely 

The difference is, these really aren't modular. Some of them are pretty cool, but just don't have a tremendous amount of expandability, which is what made the modulars so valuable. I do think there are some pretty unique ones that could become classics (Fire Truck, which I'm really surprised is still hanging around).

8 minutes ago, spener90 said:

The difference is, these really aren't modular. Some of them are pretty cool, but just don't have a tremendous amount of expandability, which is what made the modulars so valuable. I do think there are some pretty unique ones that could become classics (Fire Truck, which I'm really surprised is still hanging around).

i thought it was the rarity? I am just coming out of the dark ages so I am still learning. 

12 minutes ago, isawred said:

i thought it was the rarity? I am just coming out of the dark ages so I am still learning. 

Rarity helps, but it isn't everything. Let's go with the hypothetical that they do this again next year and do a continuation to the Wild West Saloon, that would undoubtedly raise the demand for this by so much. It helps when people are trying to collect a whole bunch of something and missed an initial, important set from years ago.

3 hours ago, spener90 said:

My thing about the fire truck is that...it doesn't look like LEGO...like at all...so the simplistic look may appear too plain from afar....for any AFoL...knowing it's LEGO and being so huge are real appeals for me...I basically had it in and out and in and out of my basket a few times before I finally left it out.

3 hours ago, Belac said:

Couple of monorails showed up today:) Everything received so far has been packed with excellence. Totally Happy I pulled trigger on a few of most of these sets.

from a collector or seller view?

I absolutely love my Eight-Studs but I can’t wait to list my castle!! although I will happily keep it for less than $599 lol heck I may list at $799... $800 unbelievable!!!!  

1 hour ago, isawred said:

from a collector or seller view?

I absolutely love my Eight-Studs but I can’t wait to list my castle!! although I will happily keep it for less than $599 lol heck I may list at $799... $800 unbelievable!!!!  

Both,  I've learned that being a collector kind of leads to reselling.  Bought some to build, extra to sell. I don't get much time to do personal LEGO builds until Fall/Winter.  Looks like I won"t use second castle for expansion, way more sense to just order extra pieces needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iahawks550 said:

Prices will have to come down on these once they are actually shipped (all of them..... whenever that is) and in the hands of the consumers, won't they? I can't imagine the castle selling long term for much more than $300.

I don't see the castle dropping tremendously, only 2500 of them will ever be made, and it's an awesome looking set!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

Prices will have to come down on these once they are actually shipped (all of them..... whenever that is) and in the hands of the consumers, won't they? I can't imagine the castle selling long term for much more than $300.

I do think ‘first to have’ drives prices up. however, with the castle I don’t see the price for sealed sets dropping below $400 

3 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

I guess if people are buying to build, it may come down to the price ( and hassle)  of Bricklinking parts and instructions.

agreed, if only to build sourcing the parts will be the way. I believe the instructions are available online.?.? I think I read somewhere print instructions may become available. 

4 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

What is the number? Is it after the BL19? If so I got Science Tower 007. Kinda cool and makes me not want to open it, but I was looking forward to the build.

No, it's handwritten on the front of the box sleeve.   BL19007 is the set number.

I just finished building Science Tower, and it's a great build.   My favorite build so far.  Lots of interesting, creative build techniques.  Great little details to keep the build entertaining.  Kudos to the set designer on that one.

Edited by DadsAFOL
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My sets I ordered on the last day have shipped. 

I also just built the vintage roadster and was very pleased! However, I did have some spares and from what I understand, I didn't think there was supposed to be any. It was a 4x1 gray plate, and about 5 silver 1x1 dots and some random 1x's I scoured back through the instructions but didn't appear to miss anything.

• Like 1