Toys "R" Us - 50% scraps are all that's left

jsteele

There will be a few Harvard Business School case studies written on this. 

I'm in the camp like Ed, just makes me sad overall. I have very vivid memories of how exciting it was to go to Toys R Us as a kid. I can remember the exact layout of the Southcenter store - Seattle folks who are old enough will remember the spot, it's a Value Village now. One of my strongest memories was the excitement of having like $12 and being able to buy four different G.I. Joe figures in a single trip, my biggest haul at that time. 

I would continue to short stock in Mattel and Hasbro as well. My kids' generation is just growing up differently with more screens as part of their daily life - when I walk into a Toys R Us now I see aisle and aisle of overproduced stuff my kids just completely pass on by...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, nolanfan34 said:

There will be a few Harvard Business School case studies written on this. 

I'm in the camp like Ed, just makes me sad overall. I have very vivid memories of how exciting it was to go to Toys R Us as a kid. I can remember the exact layout of the Southcenter store - Seattle folks who are old enough will remember the spot, it's a Value Village now. One of my strongest memories was the excitement of having like $12 and being able to buy four different G.I. Joe figures in a single trip, my biggest haul at that time. 

I would continue to short stock in Mattel and Hasbro as well. My kids' generation is just growing up differently with more screens as part of their daily life - when I walk into a Toys R Us now I see aisle and aisle of overproduced stuff my kids just completely pass on by...

Toys will make a comeback one day, but it will be too late for TRU.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Why buy the real thing when you can access the simulated feelings via VR ???  The next generation (our grandchildren) is going to have a really tough time telling what's real vs not

The next generation won't really care what's real or not since they'll be so immersed in vr from the start.

too bad, it's just not the same feeling when whacking your friend with a smart phone (that'll break) as it was with a good solid Tonka truck.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Thumper said:

The next generation won't really care what's real or not since they'll be so immersed in vr from the start.

too bad, it's just not the same feeling when whacking your friend with a smart phone (that'll break) as it was with a good solid Tonka truck.

Tonkas were tough...No doubt.  One day, LEGO sets will be considered "vintage" toys.

used all my rewards, discount GC today.
Then was told by the worker that he was told the store I shopped at is safe and  isn't closing. 
we will see come Monday

Yes, uh-huh, they are going to tell “some worker” their bankrupcy plans first, before they announce it to the market.....
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Elkkthunder said:

used all my rewards, discount GC today.

Then was told by the worker that he was told the store I shopped at is safe and  isn't closing. 

we will see come Monday

I did the same today.  Overheard a cashier at customer service reassuring someone on the phone that it wasn't *this* location that was closing, but another one (one that was on the previous list).  

Just now, Phil B said:

Yes, uh-huh, they are going to tell “some worker” their bankrupcy plans first, before they announce it to the market.....

I used mine yesterday. the store manager who knows me all too well asked me if I have heard anything since he said people have been asking him all day long about store closing ( he was oblivious ) . I showed him the article posted on BP, he went kinda pale . 

I didn’t make it out yesterday so I ended up burning my gift cards today. Thankfully they had a few sets on sale. It almost felt like free lego ...

I spent my remaining rewards online earlier this week - order status is “awaiting fulfillment” so I’m a little concerned it will get cancelled and I’ll be SOL on the rewards.

Could be worse ... could be one of the countless employees oblivious to what might happen

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ravenb99 said:

I spent $0 in store last year.  So guess I won't miss them much.  

I know you're just a cynical reseller but the toy store experience is about to die with TRU going under.  Yes, there will be the small mom and pop shops that specialize in Melissa and Doug stuff but they in no way can re-create the epic size and ambiance.   As a kid my toy store of choice was "Toy Chest".  It was a slightly smaller variation of TRU or Children's Palace but it had the same smell and ambiance.  I vividly remember it and and will never forget it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mathew said:

I know you're just a cynical reseller but the toy store experience is about to die with TRU going under.  Yes, there will be the small mom and pop shops that specialize in Melissa and Doug stuff but they in no way can re-create the epic size and ambiance.   As a kid my toy store of choice was "Toy Chest".  It was a slightly smaller variation of TRU or Children's Palace but it had the same smell and ambiance.  I vividly remember it and and will never forget it.  

Sure I resell but I have a kid and I grew up with Geoffrey and Lionel.  Heck I worked for KB toys and opened a few stores in the Tampa area which was a great experience.   I remember it as something grand but like most experiences as you grow older they are not as impressive. My daughter has outgrown the store and hasn't been interested in awhile. Hasn't mentioned anything about being sad it is closing either.  Times do change and patterns evolve.  Unfortunately what I see when I go into most TRU is rude employees and a dirty store.   I know some do well with deals and stacking from there but I found other avenues I enjoy more.  Sure it hurts some buying aspects but as retail evolves so does my business.  Point is in any business nowadays you can't expect to make it and not offer something special which toys r us has not done in a long time.