Toys "R" Us - 50% scraps are all that's left

jsteele

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

My kids still get excited about going to Toys R Us, as I did when I was a kid.  That's what I'll miss most.  I just can't come to terms with big box toy stores being no more.

I still get excited going to Toys R' Us.  It never gets old.  They have a certain look and smell that I will never forget.  Sucks.

• Like 7

Guest TabbyBoy

The previous Reading branch did have a "Charity Shop" fragrance to it with a hint of "Old People's Home". It may have been the rotting stock sat on shelves due to RRP+ pricing.

Guest TabbyBoy
23 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Went to my local shop today to use up my points before it is too late.

It´s never good when a shop has more staff than customers inside.

I'd expect any open branch to be rammed to the gunwales with all the greedy chancers picking the decaying carcass. Unless they're all like me who've simply had enough of TRU?

2 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I'd expect any open branch to be rammed to the gunwales with all the greedy chancers picking the decaying carcass. Unless they're all like me who've simply had enough of TRU?

They haven´t announced they are closing here - yet. I just don´t want to take an chances.

I won’t be surprised if Australia is next, I visited the store in Waurn Ponds (vic) on a Saturday the other week and there was more staff than customers. As always the boys and girls toys were seperate but couldn’t find any Lego for girls.. maybe just me looking in the wrong places, but I gave up after a few minutes and left.
My last visit to a store in the UK was (Harlow) and it was to collect come imperial hotels, both came out damaged from the reservations counter so I didn’t buy them.

Goodbye TRU, you were relevant once but no longer.

As promised latest update.

Moorfields said discounts of up to 25% were now available on all products at Toys R Us and stock levels were high.

"Some stores in the portfolio may be subject to closure in the coming days, and so customers are encouraged to take advantage of the heavy discounting as soon as possible," the administrator said.

It added that gift cards and vouchers would continue to be honored while stores continue to trade, and confirmed that deposits paid by customers under Take Time To Pay agreements for larger purchases would also be honoured.

Dont get too excited its only 10 per cent off Lego products have already checked with all my locals, the stores closing soon are the ones already earmarked for closure which have no Lego anyway.

• Like 1

TRU not honouring £10 off vouchers that's £70 worth down the drain of course that's not what they are telling the Newspapers etc.

The Lego going  back to Lego.com is also a lie to get us to rush in and buy it before they have to reduce the price too much.

Do not trust a word they say.

6 minutes ago, grabbitfast said:

TRU not honouring £10 off vouchers that's £70 worth down the drain of course that's not what they are telling the Newspapers etc.

The Lego going  back to Lego.com is also a lie to get us to rush in and buy it before they have to reduce the price too much.

Do not trust a word they say.

I guess they will argue the vouchers are not stackable with other promos e.g. 10% off.

Anyway, it´s better to sit it out and wait, apart from the few retired or well discounted sets like 70618, which should be getting armswept at 67 pounds.

Just in-case anyone is interested, I visited the Oldbury store for a leisurely browse. Most items still 20% off, LEGO 10%. Pretty much still fully stocked in all departments. Busiest I've ever seen the store! Still didn't find anything worth buying. Thought about getting a few of the little Toys R Us giraffe sets as they're down to a fiver before discount and may be a novelty item in future. Decided against it though. Also had my eye on one of those little Power Rails sets for my niece and nephew which would have been £16, but didn't splash out lol. Will wait to see if they increase the discounts any more.

8 minutes ago, BarryZola said:

Just in-case anyone is interested, I visited the Oldbury store for a leisurely browse. Most items still 20% off, LEGO 10%. Pretty much still fully stocked in all departments. Busiest I've ever seen the store! Still didn't find anything worth buying. Thought about getting a few of the little Toys R Us giraffe sets as they're down to a fiver before discount and may be a novelty item in future. Decided against it though. Also had my eye on one of those little Power Rails sets for my niece and nephew which would have been £16, but didn't splash out lol. Will wait to see if they increase the discounts any more.

They had them for 1.99 here last month. Only 301 left in warehouse....

• Like 1

Was talking to the Local Toys R Us supervisor, big sell off is the end of March ,Which makes sense to me as the Tax man will really hammer them if they are caught holding a pile of stock and HRMC are going to be first in the queue for payment.

Also said stock has been shipped out to some stores from warehouses but could not say if Lego was included.

Workers deserved better.

• Like 1

Yep. Nearing the end .  all because morons are running the company plus competition.  The US stores are next.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/03/08/toys-r-us-preparing-liquidation-sources-say/408975002/

Toys R Us preparing for liquidation, sources say

Toys R Us has gone into administration in the UK leaving 3,000 jobs at risk. The U.S. toy chain failed to find a buyer after struggling for months to compete with online retailers. Newslook

After scrambling to keep its bankruptcy reorganization plan alive, Toys R Us is preparing for liquidation, people who weren't authorized to speak publicly about the matter confirmed Thursday.

The toy retailing giant appears to be running out of time, and money -- pushing closer to having to close the doors of the entire chain. Its leaders have failed to find a buyer or reach a new debt financing deal with its lenders.

As word spread, shares of Mattel and Hasbro, two of the world's largest toymakers, fell in after-hours trading. 

The company in recent weeks has told workers at its going-out-of-business sales that it doesn't have enough money to pay severance. Its United Kingdom division has been placed under administration — the U.K. version of bankruptcy — after falling behind on debt payments. It also reportedly is in talks to sell its Asian European divisions.

A hearing scheduled for bankruptcy court has been postponed three time this week, signaling that the company's reorganization plan could be collapsing.

Sources expect the company to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy liquidation next week. Toys R Us declined to comment.

Toys still could get a last-minute reprieve if a deep-pocket investor or lender steps up.

Toys R Us failed to pull off the juggling act needed to balance a massive debt load while attempting to upgrade its out-of-date stores and improve its e-commerce offerings.

• Like 1