Toys "R" Us - 50% scraps are all that's left

jsteele

1 hour ago, OrangeChiliPeP said:

I have a TRU near to me and I asked the manager if the store will close in future? I know him for years and he knows about the problems in generally.

He told me that he has no information about any planned store shut down in Germany.

Just seen a huge billboard that there is a brand new TRU opening in my hometown at the end of February so it doesn't seem like they are closing shops in Germany....

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Haay said:

With TRU closing stores in the UK and Spain (amongst others), while opening new store(s) in Germany, it looks like TRU is concentrating their efforts on Germany. 

Damn! What is it with Germany that they keep getting special treatment when it's about LEGO ? :P 

To be fair they are still opening stores in the UK.  They seem to be concentrating on smaller stores though and closing the warehouse style stores. 

Got this email from TRU CEO this morning. Luckily gift cards still work:

Toysrus Dave Brandon

spacer.gif To Our Valued Customers,

I want to take a moment to thank you for your continued support of Toys"R"Us. As you may be aware, we launched a financial restructuring of our business last fall. As we begin the new year, I want to provide an update on our progress to date, as well as our plans for the future. 

Our primary focus is on reimagining our business with you in mind. We want to make it easier for you to shop with us, whether online or in our stores. This past season, we were successful in accomplishing this objective for millions of customers. However, there were also far too many transactions where this wasn't the case – due to our operational missteps. As the leader of this company, I want you to know that we can and will address the gaps in the experience that you may have had when shopping this holiday. My team is already hard at work to make the improvements necessary to ensure that we have the products you want, when, where and how you want them. 

In addition to convenience, we also recognize that you want fair and competitive prices and it is our job to deliver on that expectation. We recently relaunched our price match program to give you greater confidence when buying from us, and in 2018 we are taking additional steps to ensure that we provide greater overall value to you and your family. We will do this through compelling promotions and by providing an improved loyalty program and a more personalized way of communicating with you – in email, online and social media.  

The reinvention of our brands requires that we make tough decisions about our priorities and focus. To that end and following a top-to-bottom assessment of our business, we have decided to close a number of our U.S. stores. We also intend to convert a number of locations into co-branded Toys"R"Us and Babies"R"Us stores. The actions we are taking are necessary to give us the best chance to emerge from our bankruptcy proceedings as a more viable and competitive company that will provide the level of service and experience you should expect from a market leader.

We estimate store closing sales to begin in early February with the majority of locations closing in mid-April 2018. During this time, we welcome you to take full advantage of the deep discounts and deals available.

Here are a few things to keep in mind:

• We are open for business and ready to serve you. We will continue to operate stores in all major markets across the U.S. and around the world. And as always, you can also continue to shop online at www.toysrus.com and www.babiesrus.com.
  • We are honoring customer programs. Our customer, registry, credit, warranty and loyalty programs will continue as normal. We will continue to sell and accept gift cards as always.

While our store roster may be getting smaller, what is not changing is our desire or commitment to serving you. For the past 70 years, we have worked hard to earn your business and look forward to being champions of play and a best friend to parents everywhere for decades to come.  

Thank you for your support and for choosing to shop with us.  

Sincerely,

spacer.gif DAVE_signature.png 

Dave Brandon
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer 
Edited by southendsox

Three stores in San Diego are closing, two BRU, one Toys R Us.

I’m not surprised by the BRUs. They are in odd locations, a little difficult to get to.

The Toys R Us is actually also the same. It’s in this bizarre location. There is no other major retail around it. It sit alone in a parking lot.

I visit it occasionally and never come out of there with anything. I think it was the first (or oldest) Toys R Us in San Diego.

We go from 4 to 3 TRUs. The one closing is in a poor part of town, and a standalone store. Have good memories of the place though, it's where I picked up a long since retired X1 charger just to get a free Bionicle Quake Beast. X1 flipped quickly for profit, Quake Beast now going for $70+ on Amazon.
What surprises me is that the one single BRU we have, in a huge mall with only 2 remaining tenants, is not on the chopping block.

9 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

I'm honestly surprised to see mine will stay open.  It was a ghost town when I was there last week as far as the Lego aisle.  No stocking of new products at all.  

Our local store isn't stocking much either.  Lego end caps are full of big Furreal and True Heroes boxes.  The shelves have one set on the end to make it look more full.

3 minutes ago, Sandwraith said:

Surprised no locations in Canada are on the chopping block (yet). There are a couple outside of Toronto that always seem to be ghost towns. However the one local to me in a major shopping area is always busy.

Which ones are those? We lost one in the east end of Scarborough the other year already. I hit Scarborough and Newmarket fairly often and they seem alright. I get to Yonge and Eg, Dufferin Mall less often and the Steeles and Sherway hardly ever. That’s TRU for me

4 hours ago, southendsox said:

Got this email from TRU CEO this morning. Luckily gift cards still work:

Toysrus Dave Brandon

spacer.gif To Our Valued Customers,

I want to take a moment to thank you for your continued support of Toys"R"Us. As you may be aware, we launched a financial restructuring of our business last fall. As we begin the new year, I want to provide an update on our progress to date, as well as our plans for the future. 

Our primary focus is on reimagining our business with you in mind. We want to make it easier for you to shop with us, whether online or in our stores. This past season, we were successful in accomplishing this objective for millions of customers. However, there were also far too many transactions where this wasn't the case – due to our operational missteps. As the leader of this company, I want you to know that we can and will address the gaps in the experience that you may have had when shopping this holiday. My team is already hard at work to make the improvements necessary to ensure that we have the products you want, when, where and how you want them. 

In addition to convenience, we also recognize that you want fair and competitive prices and it is our job to deliver on that expectation. We recently relaunched our price match program to give you greater confidence when buying from us, and in 2018 we are taking additional steps to ensure that we provide greater overall value to you and your family. We will do this through compelling promotions and by providing an improved loyalty program and a more personalized way of communicating with you – in email, online and social media.  

The reinvention of our brands requires that we make tough decisions about our priorities and focus. To that end and following a top-to-bottom assessment of our business, we have decided to close a number of our U.S. stores. We also intend to convert a number of locations into co-branded Toys"R"Us and Babies"R"Us stores. The actions we are taking are necessary to give us the best chance to emerge from our bankruptcy proceedings as a more viable and competitive company that will provide the level of service and experience you should expect from a market leader.

We estimate store closing sales to begin in early February with the majority of locations closing in mid-April 2018. During this time, we welcome you to take full advantage of the deep discounts and deals available.

Here are a few things to keep in mind:

• We are open for business and ready to serve you. We will continue to operate stores in all major markets across the U.S. and around the world. And as always, you can also continue to shop online at www.toysrus.com and www.babiesrus.com.
  • We are honoring customer programs. Our customer, registry, credit, warranty and loyalty programs will continue as normal. We will continue to sell and accept gift cards as always.

While our store roster may be getting smaller, what is not changing is our desire or commitment to serving you. For the past 70 years, we have worked hard to earn your business and look forward to being champions of play and a best friend to parents everywhere for decades to come.  

Thank you for your support and for choosing to shop with us.  

Sincerely,

spacer.gif DAVE_signature.png 

Dave Brandon
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer 

Any predictions on how long it will take to rename their street to Bezos Drive?