Toys "R" Us - 50% scraps are all that's left

jsteele

my family is really bummed about it.  we enjoy going to our toys r us all the time.

it is fun for us.

I agree with the news reports saying that 10 to 15 percent of sales will never come back.  I think it may be more.

The ability to browse and shop for toys at Walmart target and other places is just not the same.

the fact is without Mattel and hasbro having toys r us as a physical place everyone can see all the toys the toy industry is going to suffer.  it is already suffering when you look at Star Wars toy sales for example unrelated to toys r us.  yes many toys will be bought online but people will not go window shopping to find every hasbro Mattel or lego set online that they would in store.

it is a sad day for the toy industry.  I think this only helps cement the loss of toy sales in general on a permanent basis to the new digital age where children don't even want as many toys.

those who wish toys r us would go may in fact regret if it does.  with Walmart limiting purchases target banning resellers and toys r us disappearing the options for acquiring significant inventory also becomes more difficult

you may have a different opinion thats fine ..... this is mine ..... very sad about what is to happen

• Like 3

Just been to my local toys r us in lincoln and I have to say that it was a big let down. I have never seen it so busy and its quite surprising how people will jump at naff discounts, I swear the store actually had worse discounts than online states. The store itself was not in good state either things were just chucked everywhere. My 5 year old wanted to leave after around 5 minutes of entering and she normally loves toy stores. I did however manage to have a look at the lego but there wasn't much there at all which was very disappointing. Even if I wanted to purchase something I wasn't going to wait in the massive queue that only had one person serving. I used to love toys r us when I was younger but for quite a while now it just seems as if there whole customer service has gone out the window and the fact that my 5 year old wants to leave as she's bored sums it all up really.  Pretty ridiculous the whole experience to be honest.

Edited by raulaco

Went to both of my local TRU store closings to use my GCs. One store was completely barren of Lego except for the "yellow dotted " City, Technic and Batman movie sets (and the dreaded SH high school and Harley Quinn sets) which there were cases of in the back and stacked high on the shelves. These are going to be had for a song soon. There was a liquidator in the store and I asked him where all the Lego is and he said it all sold this past week even though it was never discounted. Hard to believe. I got the sense he may have been making side deals.

I then drove 20 miles to the other one closing to see if I could burn my gift cards on the Porsche sets that they had discounted for $221. They had 20 of them a week ago and they were all gone except two that look like someone dropped them off the top shelf. This store still had a lot of yellow dotted Lego was not discounted at all, yet a lot of the good stuff was gone including a huge 20K piece MOC that I was told was not for sale. I think you can make any deal now if you find the right person.

Absolutely no indicators of operations ending at my local TRU. Store is busy and only the usual suspects are on clearance. Almost bought an RRP City of Stiix but passed. Getting a couple captain phasma brickheadz at 20% off.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum

Typical TRU the other day. Most everything was marked full price, but a lot was 20% off online. I had to price match them in store.

That’s fine with me, I’m a savvy shopper with gift cars to burn.

But they were the same price as Amazon. I could have just as easily said screw it and bought on Amazon instead.

On 3/9/2018 at 7:31 PM, BrickLegacy said:

I spent my remaining rewards online earlier this week - order status is “awaiting fulfillment” so I’m a little concerned it will get cancelled and I’ll be SOL on the rewards.

I asked the live chat-based CS about the very same thing, the rep said that this was their lingo for an online order going to the warehouse to be fulfilled. I guess it's just different terms for the process than what we might be used to with LEGO SAH, for example.  She indicated that the estimated delivery window should still be valid.  I worried that they were waiting for the vendor to fulfill the inventory so that they could ship it out.  I'll keep holding my breath until I actually get a shipping confirmation.

I did complain once to CS about losing $50 of rewards dollars on an order that they cancelled and she gave me $100 as an apology. Of course, that assumes that there would be anything left to use them on or anyone available to help.

On 3/11/2018 at 10:28 AM, Ed Mack said:

Pretty soon, there will be no more showrooms.

Might be cyclical.  If Amazon benefits from other brick & mortar businesses being their showroom, then when they disappear and the cost of business goes up because of all of the free returns or free returns goes away, I can imagine a market opportunity for "catalog showrooms" and try-before-you-buy opportunities to make a comeback, especially as one-day or same-day delivery gets perfected. Also, as the brick & mortars go away, the loss of revenue will drive governments to find ways of taxing e-commerce and warehouses more and more, as that cost goes up, a brick-and-mortar might become viable again.  Will probably also make a difference how much revenue is lost through credit card fraud versus shoplifting + credit card fraud at a physical store.

Edited by hockeyweasel
  • Like 6

This company just doesn't seem to get it. 

Anytime I go into a Toys R Us and I see things there that aren't in other store locations, you can bet 99% of the time, I can pull up target.com, walmart.com or toys r us.com on my phone, and find it cheaper online.  I then have to go to the dang register and price match it. 

The Toy's R Us tax is a big time hindrance, and they never seemed to get this.  This is why most mom and shop stops will go under as well if they either 1. don't sell online too to supplement their business income 2. don't try to compete with the free market (which is now a big influence online).

Because of their stupidity by forcing the "toys r' us" tax, even a 7 year old like my son knows that he can spend his money on amazon, even if he has to wait, and he will still have more money to spend, then if he bought the same item at TRU. 

It's sad to watch them go, but on the same token they were their own undoing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hockeyweasel said:

I asked the live chat-based CS about the very same thing, the rep said that this was their lingo for an online order going to the warehouse to be fulfilled. I guess it's just different terms for the process than what we might be used to with LEGO SAH, for example.  She indicated that the estimated delivery window should still be valid.  I worried that they were waiting for the vendor to fulfill the inventory so that they could ship it out.  I'll keep holding my breath until I actually get a shipping confirmation.

I did complain once to CS about losing $50 of rewards dollars on an order that they cancelled and she gave me $100 as an apology. Of course, that assumes that there would be anything left to use them on or anyone available to help.

Might be cyclical.  If Amazon benefits from other brick & mortar businesses being their showroom, then when they disappear and the cost of business goes up because of all of the free returns or free returns goes away, I can imagine a market opportunity for "catalog showrooms" and try-before-you-buy opportunities to make a comeback, especially as one-day or same-day delivery gets perfected. Also, as the brick & mortars go away, the loss of revenue will drive governments to find ways of taxing e-commerce and warehouses more and more, as that cost goes up, a brick-and-mortar might become viable again.  Will probably also make a difference how much revenue is lost through credit card fraud versus shoplifting + credit card fraud at a physical store.

I agree...Service Merchandise will make a comeback.  One day when Amazon falters, people will say, "Consumers want to see, hold and touch products before they buy!  Amazon didn't figure that out."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

This company just doesn't seem to get it. 

Anytime I go into a Toys R Us and I see things there that aren't in other store locations, you can bet 99% of the time, I can pull up target.com, walmart.com or toys r us.com on my phone, and find it cheaper online.  I then have to go to the dang register and price match it. 

The Toy's R Us tax is a big time hindrance, and they never seemed to get this.  This is why most mom and shop stops will go under as well if they either 1. don't sell online too to supplement their business income 2. don't try to compete with the free market (which is now a big influence online).

Because of their stupidity by forcing the "toys r' us" tax, even a 7 year old like my son knows that he can spend his money on amazon, even if he has to wait, and he will still have more money to spend, then if he bought the same item at TRU. 

It's sad to watch them go, but on the same token they were their own undoing.

This...Pigs get slaughtered.

Burned remaining rewards and a 10% off gift card bought from TRU the other day and got me a brick bank. Just got the shipping confirmation today.

As much as I am annoyed at the TRU tax and their inability or reluctance to innovate, this is the store that got me out of my dark ages twice. Back in 2002 when I purchased a 4x4 off roader and again in 2011 with space centre. I will always remember as a kid going with my friend to browse for hours at all the toys. It's sad but expected to see them go.

• Like 2

Just at Times Square TRU and shelves full of LEGO. absolutely no clearance items. New product like sanctum sanctorum showdown, the new milano, Shanghai, etc. Spoke w store manager and zero plans of shutting down.

Frankly I’m a little suspicious that news stories of pending OOB were floated to boost sales.

5 minutes ago, calmdahn said:

Just at Times Square TRU and shelves full of LEGO. absolutely no clearance items. New product like sanctum sanctorum showdown, the new milano, Shanghai, etc. Spoke w store manager and zero plans of shutting down.

Frankly I’m a little suspicious that news stories of pending OOB were floated to boost sales.

Even more curious as the Time Square location was supposed to be a pop up for the holidays. Might be a play more for tourists.

15 minutes ago, calmdahn said:

Being from the rural mid-west, I have trouble computing the ability to wake up and stroll down to Times Square to take a look.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1