Toys "R" Us - 50% scraps are all that's left

jsteele

1 hour ago, Mos_Eisley said:

My favorite part of the store closings is that they won't sell stuff like the big Funko Freddy or the LEGO set displays because they belong to the vendors. You guys have about $32 million dollars that belongs to TLG and you're worried about returning the displays?

I have a feeling Big Funko Freddy will be walking right out the back door and into some caring person's car!

I might just over to my local TRU and ask them if they would sell them to me.  F it...it's not like they have a future there!

• Like 2

Looks like the fat lady is about to sing on this one, and I am stuck with £70 worth of vouchers which dont kick in to March 3rd, they think its all over it will be tomorrow.

No big surprise closing in UK is a cert no buyer found.

Toys R Us could plunge into administration tomorrow after talks broke down with potential buyers.

The toy chain’s UK arm - which employs 3,000 people at 105 stores - is desperately scrambling to find the cash for a £15million VAT bill due to the taxman on Tuesday.

But after last-ditch discussions with potential buyers broke down last week, a rescue looks increasingly unlikely and bosses are thought to be braced for collapse.

Edited by grabbitfast

Guest TabbyBoy
27 minutes ago, grabbitfast said:

Looks like the fat lady is about to sing on this one, and I am stuck with £70 worth of vouchers which dont kick in to March 3rd, they think its all over it will be tomorrow.

No big surprise closing in UK is a cert no buyer found.

Toys R Us could plunge into administration tomorrow after talks broke down with potential buyers.

The toy chain’s UK arm - which employs 3,000 people at 105 stores - is desperately scrambling to find the cash for a £15million VAT bill due to the taxman on Tuesday.

But after last-ditch discussions with potential buyers broke down last week, a rescue looks increasingly unlikely and bosses are thought to be braced for collapse.

Would it me more economical to return the items that generated the vouchers? Or, put them on eBay for some numbnut to buy them? ;-) Are the vouchers exclusive to you!

Guest TabbyBoy

Keep an eye out on Amazon an SaH as the TRU stock needs to be offloaded somehow. I went past the Reading branch 30min ago and there were hardly any cars parked outside, it's normally half-full at this time. Has it already happened?

Good riddance TRU, you had it coming!

21 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Would it me more economical to return the items that generated the vouchers? Or, put them on eBay for some numbnut to buy them? ;-) Are the vouchers exclusive to you!

Not to worried about vouchers as picked them all up in a local closing down sale and was already on a winner with the stuff I picked up, realized when the girl at the checkout was giving out £10 vouchers for everything even items at £2 or £3 the likelihood of cashing in after March 3rd was pretty remote.

Only downside is if the receivers get in the door tomorrow you might not see a closing down sale they may just flog it all to the highest bidder.

Receivers first priority is to make sure they get paid , and pay off the debtors that suits them, once they get in the door their only real concern is as said getting paid and the best scenario for them is to end the business permanently.

Edited by grabbitfast

Guest TabbyBoy
24 minutes ago, John82 said:

Sad news, i'd rather it was Argos that were closing. 

Argos deserve it too, I agree. Moving to Sainsbury's is the first step ;-)

Even sadder news is the customers that haven't taken delivery yet, especially if they used PayPal. I'll go past the Reading branch later to see if it's actually open yet and look at what's going on. It's funny as it's only based at the new site for a couple of months. It's sad for the some of that staff as I did meet somebody helpful once.

The question remains... where will their stock end up? I'd expect the liquidators to want to shift it asap as the rents much be astromical.

Time for F5 on HUKD?

Edited by TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy
26 minutes ago, richiej1979 said:

The branch near my work (Hayes) sent all their stock to Reading when they announced they were closing.

I'll probably not bother than as I'd expect even more mishandling and damage during the move ;-)

10 minutes ago, Gary81 said:

Now officially in administration.

probably best to clarify it´s only the UK branch.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43225248

Administrators have been appointed to begin "an orderly wind-down" of the UK's biggest toy retailer following the failure to find a buyer.

They said that all 105 Toys R Us stores will remain open until further notice.

What does this mean for shoppers?

A large sale of remaining products at Toys R Us is expected. The administrators said this would happen in stores only, as the online service and click-and-collect will be closed immediately.

Shoppers who have ordered an item already on click-and-collect can still pick it up, but only if that item is still available in stock.

Anyone with Toys R Us gift cards and vouchers should spend them in stores as soon as possible before the shops are closed down. No more gift cards will be sold.

The retailer had a "take time to pay" service, which allowed customers to reserve a product and then pay for it gradually for 12 weeks, before picking it up. The administrators said these reservations would be honoured, provided that the outstanding balance was paid and the goods collected by 11 March.

Alternatively, customers can use their deposits towards the cost of any other item bought in a store by 11 March.

Edited by Val-E

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

probably best to clarify it´s only the UK branch.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43225248

Administrators have been appointed to begin "an orderly wind-down" of the UK's biggest toy retailer following the failure to find a buyer.

They said that all 105 Toys R Us stores will remain open until further notice.

What does this mean for shoppers?

A large sale of remaining products at Toys R Us is expected. The administrators said this would happen in stores only, as the online service and click-and-collect will be closed immediately.

Shoppers who have ordered an item already on click-and-collect can still pick it up, but only if that item is still available in stock.

Anyone with Toys R Us gift cards and vouchers should spend them in stores as soon as possible before the shops are closed down. No more gift cards will be sold.

The retailer had a "take time to pay" service, which allowed customers to reserve a product and then pay for it gradually for 12 weeks, before picking it up. The administrators said these reservations would be honoured, provided that the outstanding balance was paid and the goods collected by 11 March.

Alternatively, customers can use their deposits towards the cost of any other item bought in a store by 11 March.

So 11th March looks like close down day.

Guest TabbyBoy
6 minutes ago, richiej1979 said:

where are they hiding the Lego?

Not with me as I want nothing to do with them no matter how big the discounts are. I'm so pleased that this inept company gets what it deserves. However, a small percentage of their staff don't deserve this.

Let's hope that this is a wake up call to other retailers so that they improve service and packing/shipping quality.

Guest TabbyBoy
4 minutes ago, grabbitfast said:

Yes makes you wonder if they close where all their Warehouse stock is going.

Probably back to LEGO if they had a "Sale or return" contract. Rather than see greedy LEGO offer another sale, I would expect more retired sets to be resurrected. Either that or they would dump it all on Amazon or just sell to big player that they already know. If we see the market flooded soon, we'll know where it all came from and what condition the boxes would be in.

8 minutes ago, richiej1979 said:

You can't buy from their ebay store now either.

Who'd want to anyway and risk non-delivery and wait ages for a PayPal case to be resolved?

50 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Probably back to LEGO if they had a "Sale or return" contract. Rather than see greedy LEGO offer another sale, I would expect more retired sets to be resurrected. Either that or they would dump it all on Amazon or just sell to big player that they already know. If we see the market flooded soon, we'll know where it all came from and what condition the boxes would be in.

The entertainer have been buying TRU stock, or buying ex TRU returned stock from Lego, or stock from Lego that was allocated to TRU, something like that.  They will probably be buying more ex tru warehouse stock, i.e. box fresh, not store stock. Although it may well be midyear before it makes its way into the stores.   

I don’t know what’s happening to any shelf stock, but the warehouse stock is going to other retailers.