71040 - Disney Castle

jaisonline

4 minutes ago, nolanfan34 said:

Interesting language on LEGO Shop at Home in the US. I think it was similar for the Tumbler at one point.

Due to high demand of the Disney Castle, this item will be in and out of stock both on the web and in LEGO brand retail stores for the remainder of 2016. Please continue to check back.

I saw it go out-of-stock in the Chicago Watertower LEGO Store this Sunday :) Was on the shelf in the City section when I came in, then got replaced by "normal" City sets during my visit, and saw someone later on (about an hour later) purchase it and leave. They must have called ahead to reserve.

4 hours ago, Bold-Arrow said:

If the decision makers at TLG didn't know that there will be a big demand for this , then someone needs to be fired . They have been dropping the ball a lot lately ( Porsche, DS, Caslte , ect.... ) 

The manager of my store told me this is the the best selling LEGO release in the history of the company.  FWIW.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bold-Arrow said:

If the decision makers at TLG didn't know that there will be a big demand for this , then someone needs to be fired . They have been dropping the ball a lot lately ( Porsche, DS, Caslte , ect.... ) 

I don't think I would lump all of those together. You have supply issues (Castle, Porsche), and creative issues (DS, AOH, Toy Shop). I think they are very aware of what they are doing on the former - especially being privately held. High tide lifts all boats, etc, and having a hard to get exclusive set can be a boost to the cache of the Lego brand to the general consumer. Now, sucks for people who can't get one, of course. 

The latter example is a different beast, and I am still undecided on that one. 

They have what 4 or 5 factories now? Are you trying to tell me that one of these factories can't shift what ever it has on its production schedule for the next month or two and crank this set out? If it's really the best selling initial launch of all time, don't you want it to be IN-STOCK during the busiest shopping and gift giving period of the year? I'd hate to have a shortage of Nexo Knights or whatever other sets that are destined to become Walmart's Feburary clearance fodder.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

They have what 4 or 5 factories now? Are you trying to tell me that one of these factories can't shift what ever it has on its production schedule for the next month or two and crank this set out? If it's really the best selling initial launch of all time, don't you want it to be IN-STOCK during the busiest shopping and gift giving period of the year? I'd hate to have a shortage of Nexo Knights or whatever other sets that are destined to become Walmart's Feburary clearance fodder.

If you've never worked in Supply Chain or Operations, they're are waaaaaay more potential issues than you can imagine.

And who's to say there aren't 10 containers of them being loaded right now? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

If you've never worked in Supply Chain or Operations, they're are waaaaaay more potential issues than you can imagine.

And who's to say there aren't 10 containers of them being loaded right now? 

I've worked logistics/supply chain, but not manufacturing per se, so I'm sure I am over simplifying the issue. On the flip side, I've planned and executed a number of complex military operations, and 1. you should have contingencies already planned for these scenarios and 2. Lack of prior planning produces poor results.

If we are to believe them **'cough cough ** the Lego shop at home website says it will be mostly unavailable online and in store for the rest of 2016. That suggests there aren't 10 containers full of them now, next week, or next month.

Unless these are stuck on a Hanjin container ship somewhere.....

I was just thinking that too.

But likely they are building up demand while they get all their pieces in the right place. It's not just Lego, it's Disney too. Disney has several movies coming out soon that they want to capitalize on. They probably picked a profitable number of castles to be made and then said 'that's enough, we can sell more of these the next 10 years. But who knows if people will want Pirates of the Caribbean 8 three months after the release. Capitalize on that stuff now.'

They have a lot of OT ships to remake with the new movie coming out. And don't forget about all of the Death Stars they are hoping to sell. I'm sure the factories are working over time. Remaking all those minifigs.

And the cheese slopes.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm this set can be added for purchase.  However I did not buy.  (All of the below commentary is opinion only)

My reasoning is simple.  371.xx after tax risking investment dollars for minimal $$$ gains when flipping.

The huge box is a risky shipment.  Can be easily damaged during transit causing a higher rate of returns.  Will it make money sure...but 40-50.00 is not worth the risk of 371.00 dollars in my strategy book.

I like the set.  I plan on owning a few.  But not this early in the cycle. 

• Like 2

Just now, brickelements said:

I can confirm this set can be added for purchase.  However I did not buy.  (All of the below commentary is opinion only)

My reasoning is simple.  371.xx after tax risking investment dollars for minimal $$$ gains when flipping.

The huge box is a risky shipment.  Can be easily damaged during transit causing a higher rate of returns.  Will it make money sure...but 40-50.00 is not worth the risk of 371.00 dollars in my strategy book.

I like the set.  I plan on owning a few.  But not this early in the cycle. 

Or u can just build it with the kids :) 

• Like 3