TRU Canada Sales and Clearance

tacsniper

27 minutes ago, ChristopherJB said:

Supraboy was smarter than most on this board. He was the first one to talk about buying up hot items before the sale, then going back to TRU to get price guarantee next day. Since then, I've been doing that consistently.

I'm not sure about smarter than most on this board ... maybe smarter than the people at TRU who allow that kind of buying tactic, but then again they're bankrupt in the US and the Canadian company filed for creditor protection to "protect itself from the fallout" except it's been losing the battle to Amazon and their true money maker (Babies R Us) is struggling.

I've found their recent sales uninspiring ... unless you've got a shot with direct to the US from the US shipping, it's just way too much work for me to make a few dollars for the amount of work. Luckily, we've got other options as a family for secondary income that are a lot more stable.

13 minutes ago, gregpj said:

I'm not sure about smarter than most on this board ... maybe smarter than the people at TRU who allow that kind of buying tactic, but then again they're bankrupt in the US and the Canadian company filed for creditor protection to "protect itself from the fallout" except it's been losing the battle to Amazon and their true money maker (Babies R Us) is struggling.

I've found their recent sales uninspiring ... unless you've got a shot with direct to the US from the US shipping, it's just way too much work for me to make a few dollars for the amount of work. Luckily, we've got other options as a family for secondary income that are a lot more stable.

That buying tactic is within the rules.

Their recent sales isn't that uninspiring. That's only if you focus on Lego. There were some nice transformers and monster high deals. A lot of BOGO 50% on some sales items with monster high, halo, marvel legends, etc......you just need to search hard and you can really find insane deals. I saw a bunch of hotwheels with BOGO 50% clearance today. I see lots of people go to TRU with their phones, then dig around for lego deals, and I shake my heads and giggle hard. These people are penny pinchers trying to squeeze 5 bucks off a $25 set. A few years back, they had some insane TMNT deals for figures and you can get an easy double off those. Playmobil also have some good deals. There's a few sets where you can make decent money on right now if you slap on that $15 GC on top of the current deal.

6 hours ago, lobo1969 said:

Anybody like anything from the current sale? The only sets hitting 30% off seem to be Duplo. Bunch of Star Wars/City/Friends are at 25% off

I'm holding out for better. I used the 10% RClub discount during the BOGO Black Friday sale to get things I wanted. If no one buys at 25% off they'll be more clearance stock in three weeks :)

• Like 1

Interesting indeed. I wasn't convinced on Dr. Who, never been a follower of the show and the numbers weren't convincing me it was the best use of my money at the time. The other goodies I have listed myself, have had some watchers but no bites on Wall E, and I've only manged 2 of 6 BBTs so far. Either I'm priced too high, or all the buyers are further east and shipping from Van is killing it for them. Nice margins on the 2 of 6 though! 

4 minutes ago, Sandwraith said:

Looks like 31 or so, i have some TRU Gcards to burn, so i think i'll pick one up ;) 

Where was this stock when they were 30% off? lol...

Looks like you'll get that coupon if you ship to store, too. Doesn't say only valid on reg. price merchandise so could be good to use on a 25% off item or two. I thought I was done with you KEM, but I am tempted...

19 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

Interesting indeed. I wasn't convinced on Dr. Who, never been a follower of the show and the numbers weren't convincing me it was the best use of my money at the time. The other goodies I have listed myself, have had some watchers but no bites on Wall E, and I've only manged 2 of 6 BBTs so far. Either I'm priced too high, or all the buyers are further east and shipping from Van is killing it for them. Nice margins on the 2 of 6 though! 

My Walle's were listed at $100, which I didn't get a lot of bites either. Sold them both within the last couple months. I had Big Bang Theory listed at $60 for the better part of the year and still not too much interest earlier in the year but it started taking off early summer. Raised my price to $80 for the last couple, didn't slow the rate I sold them at. It seemed like all 3 sets needed a little time before people cared and realized they weren't in stores anymore. My Doctor Who's still haven't gotten much attention (also had it listed at $60 with BBT). I raised the price along with BBT to $80 probably in August as I thought it may have been picking up speed as well, but nahh. lol
Wish I hadn't had my BBT price that low!

Also, I sell exclusively on Kijiji, so no shipping costs.

Edited by jimmajenga

9 hours ago, Veegs said:

Kwik E Mart back in stock, limit 2. Hopefully not too many in stock.

a couple Simpsons Houses popped up on Amazon a few days ago at RRP. I couldn't resist those but cringed a little buying at rrp haha
My KEM's aren't getting any bites compared to the SH so I'll leave them all for you guys :P

37 minutes ago, ChristopherJB said:

Ferrari F40 back in stock, only way to get to it is if you have purchased it before or if you enter the product ID in the URL. Going for over 160USD on ebay shipped now.

Thanks for the heads up. Looks out of stock again. Here's the link http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=57855786&prodFindSrc=oi 

1 hour ago, Shneebs said:

Starts Friday... excludes xx.94 and clearance... not that great...

B7C0D205-CA78-4DC4-8453-DCE75528485B.jpeg

I think Amazon has honestly been actively trying to squeeze TRU in Canada (they showed their weakness!). I've never seen Amazon so aggressive in discounts and they've consistently been 25% or better, including lots of 35+ percent discounts. Hopefully it results in lots of post Xmas clearance for us to scoop up...

1 hour ago, Veegs said:

Hopefully it results in lots of post Xmas clearance for us to scoop up...

LOL I think we've been squeezed pretty hard since Black Friday from Amazon, TRU and LEGO for our money.

Honestly though, TRU and LEGO is not doing themselves a favor by all these discounts. Now who on earth will pay retail price when they have been brain washed with constant discounts of 25%+ in the last 6 weeks and more coming as we approach boxing week and whatever desperate measures TRU is gonna pull to pay vendors and restructure.

• Like 1

Just now, tacsniper said:

LOL I think we've been squeezed pretty hard since Black Friday from Amazon, TRU and LEGO for our money.

Honestly though, TRU and LEGO is not doing themselves a favor by all these discounts. Now who on earth will pay retail price when they have been brain washed with constant discounts of 25%+ in the last 6 weeks and more coming as we approach boxing week and whatever desperate measures TRU is gonna pull to pay vendors and restructure.

Hopefully the same people willing to pay $300 CAD for a Bwing when you could have nabbed it for $129 from SaH (and I think Walmart matched them if I remember correctly...might have been TRU). In a few months or even a year who will comb back through sales this year to see what we paid?

16 hours ago, tacsniper said:

I think Amazon is hurting Lego. I used to work at tru and I remember maybe 5-6 years ago a Lego rep gave us **** for our like 25-30% sales, hence why it's almost never over 20% there and Amazon is discounting some sets so heavy, it's exactly like you said, after seeing prices like these, who in their right mind would pay retail or even near retail price!? It's kind of awesome... but it's also definitely hurting Lego long term, and if not mistaken, did I not read on here that Lego has had some financial troubles lately too? Amazon is slaying everybody down!