What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

Built the F40 last night. I know that it appears many here dislike it but it is a very nicely thought out build. Lots of clever use of clips to connect panels and pieces and building in multiple directions; made me think of paneling techniques used in the Blue Power set's jet. The air ducts on the hood are cleverly designed - they are clipped on to a horizontal bar inside the section after being built inwards facing each other

Agreed - the F40 is the cleverest, tightest build I've ever assembled from Lego.  It is pure magic the way the designer has aligned so many separate surfaces that are adjacent yet connected to different parts of the set.  And this set looks so much better than the box art.  All around, a beautiful model and a great build.  The designers should be proud.

I reckon they need to come up with another carousel set (just like they did with the Ferris Wheel) so that financially challenged AFOLs like me can build one too.

Agreed - this needs to happen.

• Like 2

yeah, 8097 is  also one of my fav builds.  My son now has it resting on the UCS S1 stand.

I'm just going to say it. I hate 8097. But that's because I was building one from a bulk build. And I misinventoried what I had. So I'd get 3 steps in and have to stop and make a BL order. Then I'd get a little further and have it happen again. I think I stopped about 5 times. I still haven't finished it. I *think* I finally have all the parts I just need to finish it.

30256 Iceklaw's Mech. I tremendously needed a 'brick fix', some little escape, and this quick build did exactly that. A total of 35 parts (after subtracting the ones used in the cool bear minifigure) and each had a purpose used to full extent without waste.

With polybags the norm has always been a bike or a car or a helicopter or....another helicopter. Therefore right out of the gate getting something like a small mecha was already a nice change of pace. Anyway what impressed me the most was the well-done execution on the overall appearance, functionality, and parts usage within such limited means. For the most part it is decently poseable although difficult to make any real dynamic stances. However the couple of Mixel joints for the feet work as they should and the relatively simple hinged arms are quite good. Also the long spider legs working as a harness keep Iceklaw snug in the cockpit well as giving a nice touch in the looks department. (They easily swivel outward to 'seat' the pilot too.)

Of any polybag ever built, this one was great. For so few pieces all of which utilized to max effort without any one seeming pointlessly tossed in, it really is an amazing job of a small hardsuit design that features a decent amount of flexibility and indeed looks the part. I can see a battalion of these swarming the opposition across the scarred battlefield. Yes it is all rather high praise for something so small but in the end it honestly surprised me and to think this was only $4.

• Like 1

30256 Iceklaw's Mech. I tremendously needed a 'brick fix', some little escape, and this quick build did exactly that. A total of 35 parts (after subtracting the ones used in the cool bear minifigure) and each had a purpose used to full extent without waste.

With polybags the norm has always been a bike or a car or a helicopter or....another helicopter. Therefore right out of the gate getting something like a small mecha was already a nice change of pace. Anyway what impressed me the most was the well-done execution on the overall appearance, functionality, and parts usage within such limited means. For the most part it is decently poseable although difficult to make any real dynamic stances. However the couple of Mixel joints for the feet work as they should and the relatively simple hinged arms are quite good. Also the long spider legs working as a harness keep Iceklaw snug in the cockpit well as giving a nice touch in the looks department. (They easily swivel outward to 'seat' the pilot too.)

Of any polybag ever built, this one was great. For so few pieces all of which utilized to max effort without any one seeming pointlessly tossed in, it really is an amazing job of a small hardsuit design that features a decent amount of flexibility and indeed looks the part. I can see a battalion of these swarming the opposition across the scarred battlefield. Yes it is all rather high praise for something so small but in the end it honestly surprised me and to think this was only $4.

I'll echo your comments. It's a fun little build, and makes a nice little Easter Egg in my Winter Village.

This was from the tub I bought last weekend. Took forever to find all the pieces in the tub but I finally finished it tonight. It was worth it, much cooler than I expected. I ordered a manual off bricklink to make it easier to sell but I kind of want to keep it now :derisive:

That is a marvelous set! 

I would keep it. They ain't making more of these!

• Like 1

Built the Shuttle Tydirium last week, and it's now my new favorite non-exclusive Star Wars kit. All it needed was a stand, so I bricklinked the parts I needed so the stand is as new and shiny as the rest of it.

Beautiful kit for those of you (like me) who do not have the UCS version.

IMG_1116.JPG

• Like 7

Was my son's birthday and he bought some Bionicle and Chima with his birthday money.

- Mask Maker vs Skull Grinder (70795)
- Skull Warrior (70791)
- Sir Fangar's Ice Fortress (70147)

70794 comes with the mask of creation, but I have to say the baddies in the new bionicle wave are top notch builds. Very cool and some new pieces that add to their "skeletal" look.

The Chima set is fantastic... feels light on minifigs (you get five) and the gorilla vehicle is kind of cheesy, but the ice fortress is absolutely brilliant with a bunch of play features _that are usefull_ which is nice. We have the flying pheonix fortress as well and even though it's lovely to look at, it's far too fragile and large for little hands. The play features aren't all that great either. The ice fortress is a very nice play set!

This was from the tub I bought last weekend. Took forever to find all the pieces in the tub but I finally finished it tonight. It was worth it, much cooler than I expected. I ordered a manual off bricklink to make it easier to sell but I kind of want to keep it now :derisive:

very cool.  I allow picked one up recently (last month). Opened box / sealed bags,  I'm debating on what to do with it.  

Fairground mixer. This set is an engineering marvel. There is a WOW factor that took me all the way back to Space Lock-up Isolation Base. If sleepers still exist, this may be it for 2015.

Off topic but I wanted to add to this. When I was at my local B&M last week, I mentioned to the manager how many of these I noticed walking out the door within the 20min I was there. She replied "We received 30 in todays shipment and we will probably be sold out at the end of the day". Edit: ignore what I posted, just reread your post tony and thought you were referring to the Ferris wheel, my bad :(

This is actually about a week or maybe two old now, so not 'built today' but built recently! I'd mentioned plans of doing this in a few other threads during the spring. Finally finished my first iteration.

This is my modular Bike Shop & Cafe, comprised of 3 copies of the 31026, plus a tiny handful of extra bricks from my own collection. I googled other people's variations on this set, and I think mine came out quite unique; I was going for the older building look that fits the early 1900s (and other modulars) for the shops on the ground floor, but wanted to do a 'new reno' flat on the upper floor. I managed to keep a handful of the original set's features present on the ground floor, but went full custom on the next floor. The modernized hipster flat is complete with an eco-friendly green-roof, providing fresh produce for the chef next door at Chez Albert. One may also note the owner of the flat has purchased some of the abstract art from the painter that lives next door too... [did I go too far? lol]

IMG_1706.thumb.JPG.3d5204155430fe6039d2d

IMG_1708.thumb.JPG.a30b312c504653bff64c6

My images are too large to fit in one post... 

Edit: and now I can't upload any more? Guess this is all you get. I have a whole wack of shots of the inside, everything is fully furnished. Aw well.

Edited by Zelgazra
  • Like 7

Completed the TB yesterday, took about 9 hours total.  This set is very large when completed and looks amazing.

I found this to be the most challenging/annoying build thus far....not because of the difficulty, but the sorting involved!  Over 4000 pieces, and the bags were not numbered!  I guess they didn't bother numbering bags for the older sets, there didn't seem to be much logic with the various pieces in the bags.  Stopping every few minutes to look for that "one" piece was annoying.

lego.jpg

Here is a better pic.

TB lego.jpg

Edited by Vader888
  • Like 7

They are!  Good eyes.  I think they were $130 CDN each.....cheapest way I could think of to display them.

Exact same ones I have!   Was asking because I just built the SOH and was going to do the TB next but it is very long!  I thought I could put them on the same shelf, but seems impossible.  Do you think the TB is strong enough to have it overhang to get both to fit on same shelf?

Exact same ones I have!   Was asking because I just built the SOH and was going to do the TB next but it is very long!  I thought I could put them on the same shelf, but seems impossible.  Do you think the TB is strong enough to have it overhang to get both to fit on same shelf?

I don't think that is a good idea.  You are best to have the TB on one shelf all by itself.  This was the widest version of the shelf I got and it fits perfectly.  There is no way you will be able to put the SOH beside it.  Oh, the TB is a lot more flimsy and difficult to transport than SOH.  You will need someone to help you move TB.  Have fun with TB, I found it very annoying LOL.

I don't think that is a good idea.  You are best to have the TB on one shelf all by itself.  This was the widest version of the shelf I got and it fits perfectly.  There is no way you will be able to put the SOH beside it.  Oh, the TB is a lot more flimsy and difficult to transport than SOH.  You will need someone to help you move TB.  Have fun with TB, I found it very annoying LOL.

I have been building the set back up from a lot I bought on the suspicion it was TB. It is a bit of an annoying build, I agree, especially when you need to keep stopping to buy missing pieces from Bricklink. I'll be glad when it is complete and sold off, frankly.

That one is on my list! I completely ignored FM until I saw the FW and then suddenly had to have them. I think this will continue to happen after FM retires and FW is in stock. This series, even though the content isn't my thing, is incredible.

Edited by tonysbricks
  • Like 1