What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

Mixels Series 5 Frosticons. They were already built a couple weeks ago but now I can go gab on about them. Ha.

Krog is literally just a big mouth but with some good parts and matches his animated counterpart. Chilbo may be tied with Krog as my personal pick for those goofy 'Groucho Marx eyebrows' (neat technique by the way). Unfortunately they always make him look grouchy. I am not a fan the way how his head is connected as though it 'floats' there plus the area behind his noggin downward to his torso appears empty and incomplete. The last one of Snoof has a trippy head dwarfing the rest of his bony body frame which does not help the fact his feet do very little when it comes to standing as they make him rock the same way as the vintage wooden horse toy.

Well of all the crazy critters I have put together up to this point, I am compelled to state this trio are possible some of my least favorites especially compared to the prior Frosticons. Now there are a few spots of intriguing techniques about however they simply do not feel near solid as they could be perhaps. It is strange since looking at the drawing that was the base for each ones' design is good yet they did not quite translate over into the physical form well it seems.

• Like 1

I built the MKII today. It was my first technic set ever, and chose the biggie. It's very impressive, but Technic just isn't my bag. Building it felt a bit like a chore to me, not the same relaxing enjoyment that I get from regular brick builds. Mistakes made building on a set like this, are super costly too. I missed a small gear in one spot, and didn't realize until further in the build. It took me an hour to get it apart far enough to insert the gear, and get it back together. The set seems like an engineering marvel, just not a "fun" building experience in my book. 

IMG_7423.JPG

• Like 2

I built the MKII today. It was my first technic set ever, and chose the biggie. It's very impressive, but Technic just isn't my bag. Building it felt a bit like a chore to me, not the same relaxing enjoyment that I get from regular brick builds. Mistakes made building on a set like this, are super costly too. I missed a small gear in one spot, and didn't realize until further in the build. It took me an hour to get it apart far enough to insert the gear, and get it back together. The set seems like an engineering marvel, just not a "fun" building experience in my book. 

I have a couple and hope to build one soon. Technic sets like these are for a different type of Lego builder. Gears and other pieces have to be put together with a little slack to prevent friction, etc. I find it very technical (pun intended :derisive:) and love it but I do see how building this compared to modulars, for example, can provide a different experience.

• Like 2

6271 - Imperial Flagship. I realized during this build how spoiled I've become with the super-detailed instructions that come with sets these days. Those that haven't blocked it out remember a series of pictures with pieces randomly appearing in various places and you had to figure out what was "new" from one picture to the next. Needless to say, I did my fair share of building, rebuilding, and cursing under my breath. Love the ships though...my latest obsession is working on a display of square-rigged ship evolution through the LEGO ages.

• Like 2

I have a couple and hope to build one soon. Technic sets like these are for a different type of Lego builder. Gears and other pieces have to be put together with a little slack to prevent friction, etc. I find it very technical (pun intended :derisive:) and love it but I do see how building this compared to modulars, for example, can provide a different experience.

Agree. After putting together the 42009 I then assembled "Jurgen's Ultimate 42009" (improved version of the stock one with full remote controls and improved functions); seeing the mechanical functions slowly come together is a big part of it. On the other hand, I have just finished putting together a Tower Bridge from a lot on eBay and I did not enjoy the experience. Far too many repetitive steps, felt like a chore (stropping to find missing parts from Bricklink didn't help).

70411 - Treasure Island

This is a rather unique build for today. Everything was very simple to put together, from the figures to the dock, all the way to the skull-door castle. I love how I could use either emotion face on a girl pirate. The illustrated instruction guide was well-detailed, and thank goodness the Lego company makes these kinds of manuals. In my opinion, the crocodile mouth was the toughest to snap together because I was afraid of either snapping together or breaking apart a piece. Needless to say, it took me about an hour to complete the 180-part set. Gun off ship works perfectly, skull door opens great, but cannon does not fire anything. Perhaps the cannon is just for display.

Built the Temple of Airjitzu today: from the pictures I was concerned there were too many colors and it would look over the top but I am happy to say in person the color choices make sense.  The build was no too complex and I wished the Smuggler's Market section was a little more complex brick wise but the rest of the set was fun and I really enjoyed building the main temple section.  This was my first ever Ninjago purchase so I am happy about the selection of figures and think they look cool positioned running on the rooftops etc.  If I had to give an overall grade it would be B+

image.jpg

• Like 6

Hi guys,

does anyone of you, please, has experience with building the 21005 fallingwater? I sold some on ebay and one of my customers sent me message that 3 pieces were missing. The item was new and sealed, bought directly from shop. Also the customer said that little packages in box were sealed. May it happen, that lego makes a mistake puts on market failure item?

any answer appreciated

Hi guys,

does anyone of you, please, has experience with building the 21005 fallingwater? I sold some on ebay and one of my customers sent me message that 3 pieces were missing. The item was new and sealed, bought directly from shop. Also the customer said that little packages in box were sealed. May it happen, that lego makes a mistake puts on market failure item?

any answer appreciated

missing pieces are not that uncommon. You can contact Lego and they should be able to send you replacements but it takes a week or two. You can also Bricklink them for your costumer . 

just started on my last (third) 10030. I'm gonna try building this one without instructions...

Built the Temple of Airjitzu today: from the pictures I was concerned there were too many colors and it would look over the top but I am happy to say in person the color choices make sense.  The build was no too complex and I wished the Smuggler's Market section was a little more complex brick wise but the rest of the set was fun and I really enjoyed building the main temple section.  This was my first ever Ninjago purchase so I am happy about the selection of figures and think they look cool positioned running on the rooftops etc.  If I had to give an overall grade it would be B+

Looks like a fun build! I just got mine in today and may start building it this weekend. Can't wait!

With moving and a being in the busiest part of a seasonal occupation I haven't been able to build much lately, so with a couple hours of down time I figured I better pick a good set, I think I chose quite well.

I remember building this one. Great build!

I've been bitten by the building bug pretty bad and built a few sets in the past couple days but I will take it easy and start with 70817 Batman & Super Angry Kitty Attack.

Well there isn't much of a set to build really considering it is simply two minifigures, Angry Kitty, and another unique Micro-Manager. What is there was nice though. This classic Batman, despite having the same (most) everything from just a couple years back, could be my own favorite among the growing army of Batmen for the special facial expressions. The cheshire grin across one side cracks me up every time as I hear Will Arnett's voice giving the traditional "I'm Batman" line in the back of my mind. (His head is exclusive to the set by the way and so is the trans-black 1x1 circle tile used on his nifty yet bulky grapple gun.)

Super Angry Kitty is, well, super angry to the point of giving The Hulk a run for his money. The Robo Skeleton is awesome for more reasons than I could think of right now one of which droids are just awesome and I want an army. Another being it is quite possibly the closest we will ever get to see a Terminator esque character in LEGO form which just adds to the army building exercise.

That is more than enough jabbering on just the figures I think so on towards the Micro-Manager which turns out to be filled with play features between the decently flexible claw arms, a couple flick-fire missiles (that work well as any other), and at the push of a lever the thing blows it top literally. Okay a couple of plates shaping the head fly off basically.

Overall I found the set to yield a solid selection of parts (a handful are limited to exclusive) and the only deterrent with getting multiples would be ending up with a lot of Batmen which already was a problem with acquiring any one DC Super Heroes set. I can imagine a few creative uses with Super Angry Kitty's parts well as the Micro-Manager's and you already know where I stand on the Robo Skeleton. :)

• Like 4

The last set I built was the UCS Tumbler. It was a bit of a let down as I feel that it could have seen some improvements with a hundred or so more parts. It was also not a very intuitive build from my POV I currently have four sets at home waiting to be built. The Volvo, the Arocs, the UCS TIE, and the Death Star II... My favorite build was the ultimate 8043. My favorite completed set is a split between the 10129 and the MKII...