What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

Built WALL-E today - he looks awesome and I like the orange/yellow brick colors.  As previous reviews have stated the neck IS a problem and mine will crash forward with slight touch.  Thankfully LEGO is sending replacement parts for the forward leaning part.  Unfortunately his head still swings around so I created a fix for my model - I know it won't be popular and I am not suggesting others do this - but it worked great for me: I put a tiny piece of scotch tape around the end of the technic pin which creates much more friction and now the head can look to the side and up without turning and facing backwards.  In the end I am a little disppointed the set was released like this but in the end I am OK with my fix and the new parts coming will be interesting to see....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by runormal
  • Like 4

I've got a Midi MF that I got off an eBay auction and I'm only missing 4 of the landing gear. Annoyed and won't build it until I have those pieces. Lol

I'm missing the blue hose. there was a grey one in the box

I built Rey's speeder today. It's a cute little build. Nothing really stands out about it.

Edited by thoroakenfelder

Built Vader last night after a long SW flipping day.  Nice build, lots of big molded / angled parts making the cost seem worth it.  Vaders head is prebagged and its a large nice quality cape.  Lots of poses and movements with the ball joints.  Not your typical LEGO build at all but still pretty cool.  Might do Grievous out of the line as well. 

IMG_104127.JPG

IMG_104128.JPG

IMG_104129.JPG

IMG_104130.JPG

• Like 6

Built the new Millennium Falcon today.  The previous version of the ship 7965 was the set that brought me out of my dark ages and I LOVE that set.  Although I thoroughly enjoyed building this newer version it is so close to the previous version that it left me wanting more from the set in building technique variation or a more detailed interior to really set it apart from its predecessor.  However, the figure selection is excellent and I do like the newly designed front areas of the ship.  I also had a great time at the midnight TRU when I purchased the ship and this will make a great souvenir for that evening.  I am looking forward to building Kylo Ren's shuttle later this week which will hopefully feel more "new" as a set.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Built the new Millennium Falcon today.  The previous version of the ship 7965 was the set that brought me out of my dark ages and I LOVE that set.  Although I thoroughly enjoyed building this newer version it is so close to the previous version that it left me wanting more from the set in building technique variation or a more detailed interior to really set it apart from its predecessor.  However, the figure selection is excellent and I do like the newly designed front areas of the ship.  I also had a great time at the midnight TRU when I purchased the ship and this will make a great souvenir for that evening.  I am looking forward to building Kylo Ren's shuttle later this week which will hopefully feel more "new" as a set.

Do you have 7965 built also? If so, can you photograph them side by side?

Do you have 7965 built also? If so, can you photograph them side by side?

Unfortunately I don't have 7965 built at the moment.  I can tell you the builds are nearly identical in concept and a review video I watched stated the base of the ships are the same in plate placement.  The biggest noticeable difference to me (other than the color scheme) is that the top of the new Millennium Falcon is much flatter overall and the area where the two front sections connect to the ship look better.  If I do end up rebuilding 7965 over the weekend I will certainly take some photos!!

• Like 1

I built the new episode VII TIE fighter last night/early this morning and I gotta say, I really like this set.  I don't have any of the previous TIEs to compare it with but it was a fun build, it's solid, and l really like the look of it--the red on black really pops.  The price per piece on this set is out of whack, as many have pointed out, but it was the one that really jumped out at me when I saw the new sets and to me, the hoses on the pilot helmets and the translucent/printed fuselage pieces are worth the extra coin.  That said, if you're more patient than I am I'm sure you'll be able to pick it up on sale at some point.

Edited by Caltrops
  • Like 2

76019 Starblaster Showdown. Now if I am honest, I primarily wanted the set for the parts (the dark blue cockpit is only available here plus the dark blue long hinge plates & curved slopes also extremely limited) and guns. However I was curious how the Starblaster spaceship would look in real life and its looks pretty darn good.

I actually built the set backwards beginning with bag #2 containing Star Lord, the Sakaaran and his (?) pint-sized craft which turned out to be decent considering the size and low count of pieces. The wings can swivel about but unfortunately I do not recall what way they properly went in the film. Star Lord is one kickass figure. His signature helmet is very well done (fits perfectly without making his head seem large) and exclusive to the set attire printing is sweet with potential in cyberpunk MOCs I think. The Sakaaran soldier is amazing in detail and clever of LEGO making the two faces completely different which will add some variety should one acquire a sizable platoon of these. It is definitely going on my personal list of favorite minifigures and I really want to find something grand to put him in.

Now onto the actual main centerpiece of the Starblaster and its Nova Corps Officer pilot in bag #1. Wow, this sucker looks ready for the sky between the nice choices of color and that superbly stylish profile. The cockpit itself is rather roomy and considerably barren with only a 1x2 slope on the floor as the monitor so detail inside is low but it does make pulling the pilot in & out easy. There are a couple standard flick missiles arming the bottom of the craft in this case though they do add some detail to an otherwise flat surface. Major highlight would be the engine area making excellent usage of all those hinged parts. Spread them wide like a flower for that energy net maneuver or whatever it was called in that one scene or close them up tight for super sleek soaring. Point short, this spaceship looks great from every angle.

Oh right, the Nova Corps Officer has great printing to go with the special headgear. It seems a shame that helmet may not see usage in the future. It might with a different color pattern I suppose but is particularly specific to the character similar to the X-Wing and its pilot's helmet.

Overall this was a nice set to build in a jiffy with a fair amount to offer. My only possible critique is I think LEGO did themselves a disservice by having you build the Starblaster then the Sakaaran and his ship because anything after the main course (Starblaster) would feel weak regardless. On that note I am glad I did things the way I had. While only the Starblaster is sizable of a craft easily dwarfing the Sakaaran's, both are fun to swoosh like crazy. Yeah that's right. I swooshed them like a little kid; even chased one of the cats for a bit. Ha. Anyway considering the parts such as getting two different canopy types in a cheap set and as I mentioned beforehand rare select dark blue parts to boot, cool characters (great for army building or creating custom figures), and one great spacecraft with a bonus 'dingy' (ha), I'm lovin' it.

• Like 3

Built the Volvo 350 yesterday, which should have been done the day before, but I forgot a piece and didn't realize until the end.  Ripped it apart and rebuilt it again.  I hate it when bags are not numbered!  Pretty straight forward to build, much easier than the MB Aroc.  Really enjoyed playing with all the functions with my daughter.  Also built the shuttle Tyderium, which was underwhelming.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

I built 75103 First Order Transport. I had hope that maybe the build would be better than the model looked. not a chance. This set is a box with little sections of greeblie attached to the outside by panels attached to the box. It's so boring, I lost interest in the new minifigures. If you have a chance to get this for full price, don't. Depending on how prominent this ship is in the film, I might get one on discount just to fill in a scene, but I am more likely to just wait for battlepacks.

I will say my son built the Kylo Ren command ship, and this thing blows away Darth Maul's ship.  The inner cabin could use a little more room to house all the minifigs they give you, but overall there's nothing much to complain about.  The way the wings fold down and is an awesome technic feature.  I'm definitely investing in this set, big time. 

So that gives me some hope for the movie!

• Like 1

Built 75104 Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle.  After putting it together I agree with Stephen's opinion from the Brick Show that the set feel like a UCS set when I was building the wing sections.  It is unfortunate that Lego got the angle of the wings wrong which might hurt the set's popularity once the movie comes out but the figures are great and I really like the Kylo Ren figure.  When I get home from work I will try and take a photo of this next to the Falcon - this set it much bigger than I expected.  Overall fun build - would rate the set a B+

image.jpg

I finished a 75054 AT-AT yesterday.

I've wanted an AT-AT since I was a kid ogling the Sears Christmas catalog. I watched other Lego iterations come and go, but this fulfilled a life-long quest for me. Now it's going to accompany me to my office, sit on a filing cabinet, and get hijacked by pirate zombies.

It's a very nice set indeed!

Looks great, compact enough, very stable and poseable, nice minifigs. Ended my quest as well ;-)

• Like 2

Built 75104 Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle.  After putting it together I agree with Stephen's opinion from the Brick Show that the set feel like a UCS set when I was building the wing sections.  It is unfortunate that Lego got the angle of the wings wrong which might hurt the set's popularity once the movie comes out but the figures are great and I really like the Kylo Ren figure.  When I get home from work I will try and take a photo of this next to the Falcon - this set it much bigger than I expected.  Overall fun build - would rate the set a B+

Maybe the building experience is great (and the minifigs really are great!) but why does it have to be that "ugly"... (maybe a question for the movie designers though...)

• Like 1