What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

Finished up the DS last night.

I started it 6-8 weeks ago, shortly after I finished Robbie House. I did box 1 over a week, and box 2 over the next week. I was hugely disappointed and eventually stopped building completely. Last night I moved my desk and decided to trudge through the build over the next 2 weeks and get it done. Box 3 ... "wait, this isn't so bad". "Well, this is a cool feature". "Neat!" "WOW what a cool technique" (prison). Go to box 4. "OMG ITS ALIVE" "DEATH RAY!" "TRENCH RUN GUNS!" "That was a great build!"

And then I realized something. Robbie House was such a soul sucking experience for a builder with OCD that is completely burned me out. Wish I had waited to start DS and I would have probably enjoyed the whole thing. O-well, I will always have floors 3 and 4 to remember fondly. I still think SSD has more WOW factor displayed, but DS is a great finished product.

(No, I still wouldn't invest much into it)

​It's been a few years since I built our DS, but yeah, I do remember it being pretty boring in the beginning when you're building the bottom rooms and there's not much going on but the upper levels are definitely better.  The forced perspective they used in the stickers for the hallway for the prison area was cool. 

image.thumb.jpg.31250b863b3df381d79b107aAs we don't have a "What set did you take apart today" thread I'll put this here, today I disassembled and cleaned a 75% built QAR from a recent bulk lot, the rest of it is already sorted out. So I will put it back together tomorrow, take a few pictures, then take it apart again. I think this will be my eighth or ninth QAR, at this point I can nearly build it without the instructions. This is probably my favorite set that I have built, just a very well designed ship.

Edited by Migration
Forgot picture.
  • Like 3

Built nearly all of the 2012'Dino sets with my son.  We never bought that helicopter with the t-Rex set because it looks kinda d’oh. 

Also built many jurassic world sets. Just have 3 left (for his upcoming birthday) : Walmart exclusive, the huge I-Rex one and the t-Rex capture set.  

Ao far, Dino is the better theme hands-down. More to build (hence, more bang for the buck), more bricks / size per set and design.   The dinos are the same exact molds for both themes.  I did hearthe t-rex tail tip changed but csn't confirm yet.

built 40158 Pirates chess set today.  I made a small mod since I did not like the "fix" LEGO used to correct their error about the wrong color orientation to the board.  Their fix was to simply rotate the grid pieces by 90 degrees but I felt like that ruined the clean edge line the designer originally intented so I kept the original brick placements but swapped the colors myself.  I have included a photo to help illustrate.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Lego Shuttle Expedition. 

A very strange build experience. I took this one on a business trip and quickly realized that the bags were not numbered. I scoured my room for ANYTHING to sort the colors in to, the ice cup (did you know there is the cup and then also a liner cup? Bonus!), the tray for the ice cup, the coffee pot tray, the ice cup liner...

the build itself is very different and jumps around a bit to keep the techniques fresh. The landing gear was tedious but works nicely. The bay of mine for some reason does not open and close smoothly, you kind of have to manipulate the edges a bit, but it's mostly for display anyways.

I don't get how both astronauts are supposed to fit in the cockpit with the roof closed so if any of you can explain that one to me...

Stickers were scary, mainly because they are transparent and fingerprints came in to play. I think they came out alright though and this set is not going away any time soon.

End result is great. New conversation piece for the work desk and can fiddle with it while on long meeting calls!

Trying to convince my son that this was an actual space ship. He is trying to figure out where the lasers are!

image.jpg

• Like 8

Lego Shuttle Expedition. 

A very strange build experience. I took this one on a business trip and quickly realized that the bags were not numbered. I scoured my room for ANYTHING to sort the colors in to, the ice cup (did you know there is the cup and then also a liner cup? Bonus!), the tray for the ice cup, the coffee pot tray, the ice cup liner...

the build itself is very different and jumps around a bit to keep the techniques fresh. The landing gear was tedious but works nicely. The bay of mine for some reason does not open and close smoothly, you kind of have to manipulate the edges a bit, but it's mostly for display anyways.

I don't get how both astronauts are supposed to fit in the cockpit with the roof closed so if any of you can explain that one to me...

Stickers were scary, mainly because they are transparent and fingerprints came in to play. I think they came out alright though and this set is not going away any time soon.

End result is great. New conversation piece for the work desk and can fiddle with it while on long meeting calls!

Trying to convince my son that this was an actual space ship. He is trying to figure out where the lasers are!

That looks great. I have both 10213 and 10231 sitting in bulk lots, I've been chomping at the bit to get at them, but need to do the sets I'm selling first.

EV. Build was just OK but it looks really nice displayed.

Personally, I found assembling the trees a little bit repetitive but it wasn't too bad. The only thing that I really disliked about the build of the EV were the handrails. That was really nerve-racking.

Today I built Friends set 41026 (Sunshine Harvest). It's a nice set although I dismantled the tree almost immediately as I found it to be lacking something. Also, the lavender and pink parts of the tractor were replaced with grey pieces and a red seat for minifigs was added.