What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

Looks great! Question on the roads did you cut them so they are flush with the sidewalks?

No I didn't cut them, the modulars are built partly (six studs wide part of the pavement) on the road baseplates. Which has as a downside that it is a little bit unpractical if you want to rearrange them.

Also I don't like the 6 studs wide red 'backyard' the Palace Cinema now has, will probably look to cover that with something. With green or sand colored baseplates I don't concider that a problem.

I built 3 Bionicle and 2 Hero Factory sets for my son.

I just rebuilt Onua at lunch time after my son destroyed it at daycare this morning.

The new Bionicles are overly complicated with the moving arms. The kids could care less about them after the initial novelty wears off.

A friend and I built two architecture sets last night:  I built the 21016 Sungnyemun and my friend built the 21011 Brandenburg gate (her first ever build). I will add a picture later tonight but both builds were very simple, vertical builds.  Both models look great when completed and I especially like the inner parts of both the gate and the Sungnyemun (underneath the pagoda-like roof)

I built all Legend Beasts from Legends of Chima except the gorilla. What truly awesome organic designs. I dig how each look very much like the creature it is meant to represent well as being quite poseable in a number of ways. Trying to find enough display space for the Eagle was the toughest since that wingspan takes up so much area. The Lion and Wolf are exceptional but my personal favorite of the lot is without a shadow of a doubt the Wolf Legend Beast. She is totally bitchin'. I can say that because the build was exactly that and she is a girl wolf. :blum:

In other news, I finally tackled in building my very first Mixel mech design using the Series 1 Infernites. It took at least three hours I believe to design and build but the results are smoking. I used just about all the pieces the three critters in the tribe gave me leaving maybe ten parts I didn't have a use for. I even managed to make a small scout vehicle to go with the mech so that was cool. Hopefully I can take some photos in the next few days of my Mixel mech with scouter and while at it get a few shots of my spite cottage too.

• Like 1

Over the last week 21000 - 21010. All but JHC, FW, RC, and RH were from an AFOL bulk lot with box/instructions. It kinda sucked opening my only sealed FW and RH. Had I built RH before it retired I would have picked up double digits. The parts alone screamed secondary market.

But let's talk about building the RH. You may be wondering if this build is for you. Luckily I have identified a quick and easy test to self-administer. Punch your junk. If you'll enjoy that feeling for 4 hours than you'll love the RH build. I am now convinced hell is never-ending mountains of 1x1 plates which must be constructed into perfectly aligned 3-high columns. In all seriousness though, the final product is a true work of art and worth the pain and horrible build process.

Edited by tonysbricks
  • Like 2

Well I said I was going to build Mixels Series 4 soon as I found them so ....yeah I pretty much did just that. :) I won't go into too much detail other than pointing out a few things I enjoyed. Starting with the Orbitons, I liked their choice of "Buzz Lightyear" colors and variety in pieces. (To Mixel and beyond! :lol:) Picking a favorite character from that tribe was a little tricky but I think it is Rokit with Niksput at a close second. (It might have been the big dome head that won me over.) The new additions to the Infernite clan were a fun return to the tribe of flame and I found each to be quite unique. Meltus won my favorite pick there.

Finally moving on to the Glowkies was a mixed bag for me as they basically were two bats and a spider dog ....thing. I loved the colors used a lot and they are a fun bunch but the character diversity seemed minimal here. Globert reminded me an enemy from Final Fantasy (Ahriman) which is kind of cool however the build basically is just a big eye with wings. Vampos had more interesting detail and for me was a better build between him and Globert. My personal favorite easily is Boogly. The build felt robust, character was fun, and one of the best names I've heard that sounds goofy and cool at the same time. Also you know he's a punk wearing that knit cap on his eye. Haha.

Well, that was what I built officially anyway. I am already tackling yet another Mixel Mech using the Cragsters. I kind of have something tossed together but it still needs tweaking. In the meantime I might be tempted to take out that Crafting Box set from Minecraft and go all 'freestyle' on it or something. I don't know really until I get there. I am just that sporadic. Ha.

• Like 1

Working on bag #3 of the Detective's Office with my son tonight...so far love the look of the build.  Noticed a single missing piece that holds the barber shop pole to the exterior wall, oh well, will finish the build first to see if there's anything else missing before chatting with Lego customer service. 

Cinema Palace is already sitting at my door from my latest order (can't wait to head home lol).  After CP will be getting the PR, than that's it for modulars until the next release.  Gives me time to work on a little neighbourhood layout.          

• Like 1

Does anybody have any tips for building outside? If I build something in the sun, how long can I build before the pieces are getting damaged? Is there some sort of net or something that's a good idea when doing that? Lets say if I wanted to go to the park and build on the grass. Cheers!

Does anybody have any tips for building outside? If I build something in the sun, how long can I build before the pieces are getting damaged? Is there some sort of net or something that's a good idea when doing that? Lets say if I wanted to go to the park and build on the grass. Cheers!

​I haven't built any sets outside, but I do know that it takes a while for the pieces to get damaged from the sun. Usually you have to let a set sit by a sunny window for months before it starts getting damaged. If you built a set outside and in one day, I don't think they will get damaged at all.

​A large lid from a storage bin would be a good idea, maybe one that's white or clear to see the colours better.

And yeah it will take months/years to get sun damage from my experience

Working on bag #3 of the Detective's Office with my son tonight...so far love the look of the build.  Noticed a single missing piece that holds the barber shop pole to the exterior wall, oh well, will finish the build first to see if there's anything else missing before chatting with Lego customer service. 

Cinema Palace is already sitting at my door from my latest order (can't wait to head home lol).  After CP will be getting the PR, than that's it for modulars until the next release.  Gives me time to work on a little neighbourhood layout.          

​Nice to hear you PC shipped! And grats on the DO purchase :)

Still working on my HD extension with the Uruk Army, waiting for a few pieces i ordered on bricklink to make a few more ladders, but will certainly show you when done ;)

​Nice to hear you PC shipped! And grats on the DO purchase :)

Still working on my HD extension with the Uruk Army, waiting for a few pieces i ordered on bricklink to make a few more ladders, but will certainly show you when done ;)

​yes, PC is in my basement now along with some new road plates...probably start on the PC maybe next week once DO is done.  Our local Discovery Centre is restocked with modulars again (DO, PC, PR), don't remember seeing the PS however.   One lonely Death Star and a few ToO were sitting on the shelves too.  

Good luck the rest of the way with the HD extension, more ladders will look awesome.  If you need anymore Uruk Army or various LOTR sets just let me know ;)

I pulled out the Crafting Box (21116) to put together my very first Minecraft anything really. I wasn't sure what to expect other than what I can see from glancing across the box and the various reviews already out on the web that these include mainly the most basic blocks of LEGO with a couple of simple styled characters in gaming. The instructions came off a little confusing but eventually I understood the layout. The first manual has you build the characters and some small staples that become part of the scenery you later get to. Then there were eight different scenes you can put together and each is composed of separate sections that the second booklet tells you how to construct. While you cannot create everything at once, it was interesting how all the small areas came together to form the big picture.

I didn't build any of the included 'designs' of the main manual (which were simply compilations of the smaller builds in the second one) but instead picked the areas I liked in general out of the second manual then placed them altogether to create my own scene. A couple sections were modified a bit due to using some parts in other areas or getting everything to fit. It's a little messy I suppose in a few spots but this diorama turned out rather nifty. There is a little house fort thingy on the left side with a chimney on top and a small waterfall garden next to one wall, in the middle is a small full tree and lake that flows outward, and then on the other side is some ruin/cave/tower with bits of lava seeping through the floor and around the structure out to some desert sand. Steve is ready to mine as usual, the Mooshroom grazes, and the Skeleton Archer, well, arching atop the tower of ruin.

Overall that was really fun and I actually like the blocky nature in appearance the set goes for. The experience and included pieces remind me of how haphazard with carefree tendencies I used to be when building whatever I wanted as a kid. This set did give me more focus than say one of the old style brick buckets yet I still had such a degree of freedom. I must say that I think LEGO truly managed to capture the essential feel & look of the Minecraft video game very well with these minifigure scale sets. The method of placing bricks in spots beneath all the plates that make up 'the ground' seemed strange but now I understand why since in the game you can mine or tunnel underground to explore or create caverns this allows your scene to be multi-tiered in a number of ways. It's simply brilliant if you plan to go in that direction as it does allow for different levels otherwise it can be a waste of bricks that could be used better elsewhere on the ground itself if everything (the plates) is sitting flat.

Anyway I am glad to have purchased this one first especially when Amazon had it for $10 off online so I price matched at Target just as they restocked and managed to keep a couple in before selling out once again. (I noticed that deal is gone now.) This set offers an amazing assortment of good parts with a handful being rare or just difficult to acquire in one spot. Even if you are not a fan of the game or theme, I would get the set for the versatile pieces. You could just sell off the few actual Minecraft elements and keep the rest which is quite good.

• Like 2

I built two of the Star Wars Microfighters - the Star Destroyer and TIE Interceptor.  I've got a whole set of them, and I'm planning on taking those, a few of the planets from the Planets series, and maybe 8099 ISD and hanging them from my 3 year old's ceiling to compliment his Star Wars bedroom.  I'll take some photos when I'm done.

• Like 3

Just finished the Kwik-E-Mart last weekend.  Here it is next to my Simpsons house:

img]bRohobo.jpg

Great, fun build.  Apart from the stickers.  Might get round to writing up a decent build review at some stage as I took heaps of pics along the way.

• Like 5