What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

31039 Creator Blue Power Jet.

This was a brilliant building experience. The little details, like using the 1x1 slopes to make the seats are clever. But the wings are ingenious. A hinge is used to connect the two main pieces together which are then filled in with angled plates.

Love it, highly recommended. I think this set will be a winner.

P1040170.JPG

• Like 7

31039 Creator Blue Power Jet.

This was a brilliant building experience. The little details, like using the 1x1 slopes to make the seats are clever. But the wings are ingenious. A hinge is used to connect the two main pieces together which are then filled in with angled plates.

Love it, highly recommended. I think this set will be a winner.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Built the TMNT Shellraiser Street Chase set today with my son.  Love the little pizza truck and the big wheels on the Shellraiser...but the vehicle itself was not great.  Minifigs are good, got Leo and Mikey to complete the brotherhood :)  

Also built the Demolition Starter Set, very nice set for the price...4 minifigs and the mini-dozzer - can't go wrong.  

Built 75094 Shuttle Tydirium: lots of technic and small pieces, building the top fin was favorite part.  The set looks cool with the wings folded down, however, in landed mode this set doesn't look so good.  So much so that I haven't found a place to display it where it looks decent and so I will likely take apart soon.  Set also has far back center of gravity and does not balance well in landed position as the landing gear are too far forward, kinda surprised this passed Lego standards.  The figures are great - there was no doubt I'd purchase the set - but after building just lukewarm on the ship.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Built 75094 Shuttle Tydirium: lots of technic and small pieces, building the top fin was favorite part.  The set looks cool with the wings folded down, however, in landed mode this set doesn't look so good.  So much so that I haven't found a place to display it where it looks decent and so I will likely take apart soon.  Set also has far back center of gravity and does not balance well in landed position as the landing gear are too far forward, kinda surprised this passed Lego standards.  The figures are great - there was no doubt I'd purchase the set - but after building just lukewarm on the ship.

​I know it can never compete with the UCS Shuttle Version, but you get a decent model for displaying it if you have the space (less space than for the ucs ;-) ).

For the landing mode you might need Darth Vader or the Emperor walking out and some stoormtroopers standing in two rows to welcome them.

(to improve balance I think you can add just a couple of bricks so it will be more stable)

For the flying mode you might want to add some transparent bricks, which gives the shuttle a cooler look if you display it.

Since the set is meant to be for children I have to say that it is pretty great.

There have been two older sets of this model, both featuring the emperor, both not being so great, especially since the grey bricks have been out of place and really did destroy the overall look.

This model sacrifices some of the detail als realism for more durability and a better playability (also an easier built). So this is just perfect for kids and still okay for adults.

Compared to the UCS Version I can understand your disappointment when it comes to displayability though. But for kids or people who want to create scences of star wars and don't have that much space to display it is the better choice. (Or for people who don't have the money to buy the UCS version ;-) )

• Like 1

For the landing mode you might need Darth Vader or the Emperor walking out and some stoormtroopers standing in two rows to welcome them.

(to improve balance I think you can add just a couple of bricks so it will be more stable)

For the flying mode you might want to add some transparent bricks, which gives the shuttle a cooler look if you display it.

Both are great suggestions - I am going to play around with some of those tomorrow.  In the few hours since I first posted the set has been growing on me after swooshed it around my living room (never too old to do this once and a while) after watching the Belmont Stakes race.  It really does look good in flight mode.

• Like 3

Built this little R2-D2 buddy. Very quality build, the head was definitely most satisfaction. Wish I could bring him everywhere with me. 

He's a noisy little guy. Constantly beeping sarcastic quips at our television. Also has a tendency to save the day.

Meep!

2015-05-31 18.13.11.jpg

• Like 9

Jumping on the 75094 bandwagon I finished mine today. Sorry for the cheapo stand but I will make something out of either clear or blue, to mach the engines, translucents. I agree with PP a lot of technic that IMO does not make this a $100 set. The cockpit was a nice build and as stated so is the top fin. The wings seem like an after thought then the ones on the $60 75051 Jedi Scout are far superior. If this is a play set I could not see spending that much perhaps if you can pick it up at TRUT in the low 60s. 

Guess  I am still going to have to pop the seals on my 10212

image.jpgTha

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 5

Today I had a chance to sit back and put together a couple of sets from a lot I bought recently, 6243 Brickbeard's Bounty and 7623 Indiana Jones Temple Escape. Enjoyed building the ship, although it is very similar to the current Brick Bounty set. The Temple Escape recreates the scene from the movie well, but lacks the WOW factor for me...

IMG_20150607_232025243.jpg

IMG_20150607_230507309.jpg

• Like 6

Built this little R2-D2 buddy. Very quality build, the head was definitely most satisfaction. Wish I could bring him everywhere with me. 

He's a noisy little guy. Constantly beeping sarcastic quips at our television. Also has a tendency to save the day.

Meep!

​I missed out on r2-d2 and really want one after seeing this.

​I missed out on r2-d2 and really want one after seeing this.

​There is always a way to get one you know ;-)

If you are situated close enough to Monroe, Michigan I even know a place where you could pick one up for a little less than ebay ^.^

Or you just use the bricktrader here and trade for other sets.

​There is always a way to get one you know ;-)

If you are situated close enough to Monroe, Michigan I even know a place where you could pick one up for a little less than ebay ^.^

Or you just use the bricktrader here and trade for other sets.

​Yeah, I have to prioritize. I have spent a ton on lego in the last 6 months and just traded for a 10221.

76040 Brainiac Attack Rare is it that I put together a set I bought two days ago. But, you've got understand - as a 42 year old man, who has always loved Superman , this set is the bomb. It's got Brainiac with an awesome looking ship. In person, this thing looks menacing. Then you have Superman. And more importantly to me, Supergirl. Supergirl! I never thought I see her as a mini figure. And add Martian Manhunter to the mix - another character I've loved forever. This set is pure gold to me. Can you tell I read a lot of Silver Age DC Comics when I was a wee lad? Anyway, a winner all the way around in my book. Tough to get a discount on this, as it's a Target exclusive. I'm thinking this standing next to the Lex Luthor Power Armor is going to look pretty cool.

• Like 3

76040 Brainiac Attack Rare is it that I put together a set I bought two days ago. But, you've got understand - as a 42 year old man, who has always loved Superman , this set is the bomb. It's got Brainiac with an awesome looking ship. In person, this thing looks menacing. Then you have Superman. And more importantly to me, Supergirl. Supergirl! I never thought I see her as a mini figure. And add Martian Manhunter to the mix - another character I've loved forever. This set is pure gold to me. Can you tell I read a lot of Silver Age DC Comics when I was a wee lad? Anyway, a winner all the way around in my book. Tough to get a discount on this, as it's a Target exclusive. I'm thinking this standing next to the Lex Luthor Power Armor is going to look pretty cool.

​I'm a little bit happy now that I've read your enthusiastic comment ;-) This is how I feel each time I buy a new LEGO set for myself *g* That's the "MAGIC" of LEGO I love. (Like being a kid again and it's christmas or your birthday!)

• Like 1

Have built dozens of sets so far from the lot I'm going through but just finished 5378 Hogwarts Castle last night (3rd edition).  Realized quickly just how superior 4842 is to all it's predecessors as I've now built all 4.  Was pretty underwhelmed by the set as it doesn't feel "finished".  Don't get me wrong, looking forward to selling it for the price it fetches, but the figures definitely are the prize of it.  Once the Bricklink orders come in, Indiana Jones sets are next.

• Like 1

Was fortunate to have the day off work today so I built the Ferris Wheel.  Enjoyed the build, was repetitive but knowing that going into it made it OK and learned some new techniques which were cool.  In real life the colors are more vibrant - especially the trans-clear yellow and orange pieces - and I am not bothered by the color scheme seeing it in real life.  Took about 4.5-5 hours to put together and really pleased overall.

image.jpg

• Like 8

Finished up the DS last night.

I started it 6-8 weeks ago, shortly after I finished Robbie House. I did box 1 over a week, and box 2 over the next week. I was hugely disappointed and eventually stopped building completely. Last night I moved my desk and decided to trudge through the build over the next 2 weeks and get it done. Box 3 ... "wait, this isn't so bad". "Well, this is a cool feature". "Neat!" "WOW what a cool technique" (prison). Go to box 4. "OMG ITS ALIVE" "DEATH RAY!" "TRENCH RUN GUNS!" "That was a great build!"

And then I realized something. Robbie House was such a soul sucking experience for a builder with OCD that is completely burned me out. Wish I had waited to start DS and I would have probably enjoyed the whole thing. O-well, I will always have floors 3 and 4 to remember fondly. I still think SSD has more WOW factor displayed, but DS is a great finished product.

(No, I still wouldn't invest much into it)

• Like 2