What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

I built this on the ferry this afternoon. I haven't figured out where a few pieces go but this is good for now.

​Huh, interesting, those don't seem proportional at all. I believe the simpsons house was around 75% higher than the kwik-e-mart in the series, which was more flat and had a larger surface area. I guess it's all for the sake of piece count, but too bad. Looks cool anyway I just wouldn't put em side by side.

Edited by Brickson

Tantive IV - fun build, typical minifgure scale issues, but a good set nonetheless.

Listed it Monday, sold in less than a day - $234.99 shipped. Shocked at how quickly it sold. If there's a take away, it's that Star Wars Lego is sizzling HOT right now.

It is a great build and displays nicely for a non-UCS set.  

I Build inconsistently (whenever I fell like it) I Built 10246 detective office which I've been building since I've got it in January lol. Right after I started building my half sealed 10184 town hall (I built the cinema when I got it in 2009)  I built the gas station and vehicle (1 and 2 bags) in a Few hours.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by MrEverything1987
  • Like 2

Metalbeard's Duel. I mean, steampunk pirate cyborg/mech. With specific parts of his "virile young body" included (hurr hurr, bone & sausage). Standing on Spaceship space ship SPACESHIP like in TLM. The Micromanager mech walker thing is quite something, also.

th_P1040157_zps1yt455p6.jpg

th_P1040158_zpsmw20eufa.jpg

Edited by steliosk

First let me preempt this brief (ha) review by stating over the past couple of weeks, I have played the heck out of the Minecraft video game on my PC. I mined like a madman, punched trees as if my life depended on it (well it did), and took on hordes of zombies (sometimes adorning armor) aside annoyingly accurate skeletons and randomly appearing creepers with a few spiders on the side. I made things from houses to automatic farms to portal temples for the Nether and just about everything in-between. In short, I know a lot about Minecraft now.

Moving onwards to building 21113 The Cave, it was small speedy build of a scene I think would not make sense had I not played the game prior to putting this together. This little diorama reminded me well one of those first days in mining through a corner of some hillside desperately searching for coal (not realizing at the time I could also get charcoal from trees burnt in a furnace but then again that item would require some cobblestone which needed me to mine in the first place). Anywho, I liked how the scene is laid out with a bit of the outside curving in to a little nook that features a back wall composed of 'mineable' blocks just like in the game. Getting the classic treasure chest part in a new color from the standard brown was nice for a change of pace. Funny how by game rules it would be considered a large chest which can hold a lot but in reality the thing can barely contain the included loaf of bread. Ha. The area does seem a bit cramped mainly because of the lava fall in my opinion which kind of leads me to my only possible gripe.

While I find the additional aspect with Steve making obsidian (having a water source block touch a lava source block) fun, here he is carrying an iron pickaxe when only a diamond one can actually mine the mineral and even so it takes a while to break still. It's a minor quibble of details but who cares. I already have his diamond pickaxe exclusive to the Crafting Box set and getting a tool in a different color is always great.

Well anyway, it is a fun scene filled with plenty of ores to 'mine' (2 coal, 1 iron, 2 gold, & 1 redstone if I remember correctly) and the Zombie with Spider help to sell it. Speaking of the Spider, the critter is cool with a place to 'seat' a Skeleton behind the head to recreate the rare Skeleton Jockey. (I have not encountered one of those in the game yet but did fight a Baby Zombie riding a chicken and a Baby Zombie Pigman also atop a chicken.)

On a side note if you don’t mind getting yet another Steve or ending up with a bunch of iron pickaxes, this set feels like a good one to purchase a few of for the ores, enemies, and basic blocks. At $20 it does offer a decent amount to start with in making a larger cave to mine through.

• Like 2

Another Minecraft build and my shelf is starting to look like the overworld from the game. Haha. Anywho, I just assembled 21114 The Farm which pretty much is exactly that; a farm. Albeit not a very safe one considering the Skeleton being a sneaky snook under the birch tree which has a nice simple texture in my opinion. I kind of wish there were more birch trees in these sets but I get they are typically rare (depending on the area).

Moving along to the rest of the build, the livestock of a cow and sheep are as they should be, the fencing with a gate looks and works just fine, and the actual land for crops is nice with my favorite detail being the usage of dark brown 2x2 round plates marking the tilled soil whereas the Crafting Box simply used some 2x2 jumper tiles instead. The latter makes moving the harvest pieces around easier but the plates are more appealing to me.

Same as The Cave having one small incorrect detail; this one has its own with the absence of a hoe. (That honestly isn't meant to be an immature joke.) Steve is carrying his wooden shovel used to dig up the dirt blocks but afterwards to till the soil he needs a hoe. For sake of simplicity (and reality) the shovel is enough really. I guess considering when LEGO has managed to incorporate all the other items and ideas so well into these sets like the sweet crafting table, swords, pickaxes, shovels, axes, and armor, it can seem strange to not include the single essential tool with making a farm.

The pumpkin is a cool bit that far as the planting part goes could also be considered not right and looking at the spot on the build where the plant has 'grown' does have a vacant block beside it making me wonder if the designers did try to implement the vine concept but could not do so successfully. In any case, I am glad just getting the pumpkin in the first place and maybe in some possible third wave of sets for the theme there could be a jack-o-lantern. (It would feature the same printing basically except with glowing eyes and mouth.)

In the end, I think this makes a nice playset that reminds me a little of those early days with learning to build up a farm in the game itself and comes across as one you actually need at least two of to make a decent sized ranch between the crops and cattle. You would end up with yet another Steve of course which has been the only detriment with the Minecraft theme but that hardly is a deal breaker to get worked up over.

I noticed a spot in the back of the manual displaying The Farm being connected to The First Night making for a complete scene. It is great to see how these separate sections can come together so well and should help the theme's overall collectability.

• Like 1

"The kids got Mom some Lego minfigures and an AT-AT walker for mother's day." (in quotes because yeah, I did :))

It looks awesome and looked like quite a complicated build for it's size, but I am very disappointed with how the head is attached to the next. I broke it this morning just trying to put the minifigs back in the seats.

Anybody ever reinforce the way it's attached? I have an idea using some technic liftarms to lock them together but not sure it'll work... also not sure I have the right liftarm in light or dark bluish gray. Yellow would look funny.

Built all Jurassic World sets this weekend except the T-Rex Tracker (not going to buy this one, will get T-Rex on ebay/BL), and it's mostly an overwhelming "meh" for me aside from the biggest set and the Dino's themselves. Indominus Rex breakout was all good except the silly small helicopter, waste of parts imo considering there is a Helicopter set in the line... which is actually a decent looking copter. Love the Dr.Wu figure and the amber piece.

Once i get the T-Rex i'll be working on displaying the dinos with the big set, and that's probably it. Big set opens up and you don't have to keep it in the same shape/layout as the box shows. Likewise with Raptor Escape, this is a great feature to add as you can open it up and cage all the dinos together.

Overall though the line just makes me really want JP1 sets :boredom:

"The kids got Mom some Lego minfigures and an AT-AT walker for mother's day." (in quotes because yeah, I did :))

It looks awesome and looked like quite a complicated build for it's size, but I am very disappointed with how the head is attached to the next. I broke it this morning just trying to put the minifigs back in the seats.

Anybody ever reinforce the way it's attached? I have an idea using some technic liftarms to lock them together but not sure it'll work... also not sure I have the right liftarm in light or dark bluish gray. Yellow would look funny.

​I've built the current version and the previous. Both have their pro's and cons. Current model i do agree has a worse head attachment. However it does have more range of movement, and the legs and body are so much more stable than the previous version.

Bit of a trade-off i suppose.

After finishing the build of 10236 Ewok Village just yesterday I started building 75020 Jabba's Sail Barge. This morning I was able to finish it, too. Overall the building experience was nice. Only the handrails of the Ewok village tree houses were bringing me close to having a nervous breakdown. And the sail barge had too many stickers for my liking.

Finished building the Cinema Palace with my son tonight.  Didn't have any expectations since it wasn't one of my favourite modular but overall pleased with the little details on the exterior...makes a cool corner building.  If there's one modular begging for an expert to MOC in some LED lighting in a few spots it might be this building, would look great.  The Cinema stands out for sure because of the various heights/points.  My 5yr old and I are still novice builders but liked the building techniques used for the theater seats, 'shingled' roof and also the marquee which looked perfect.  

Thought maybe the theater screen could be a little bigger haha.  Would be cool to slide a smart phone into the wall for a real movie interactive experience :)  My son loves TMNT and his favourite is Raphael so he loved the dark grey minifig sai's used on the peaks!  There were extras so perfect.