What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

Imperial Flagship. Huge ship, great build techniques. I thought this was going to be the center piece of the armada, but much to my surprise next to the QAR and BP it shrinks quite a bit and QAR steals the show.

I think it's the coloration on QAR, just really pops. The blue on the flagship just doesn't do it for me, I still want one though.

Rebuilding the Technic Indy racer. My son originally built it, tried to motorized it but dropped the project and left it in a partially rebuilt condition. After seeing it laying around like that for several months I took it away and completely disassembled it.

Now I'm putting it back together in its original state.

21117 The Ender Dragon. I actually had built the main area a couple months ago but just recently put the Ender Dragon itself together. There were reasons of time and wanting to enjoy every minute of assembling the flying beast plus I wished to wait until reaching The End in the game myself. Man, that battle was intense ....and to tell the truth scared the crap out of me. Haha.

Anywho, the main landscape made from a lot of tan to represent the endstone blocks in the game was a generally simple build with the most interesting part being the obsidian towers. The little single studs in purple helped to break up the monotonous process going up each of the three towers well as gave some nice details to look at and the way how the ender crystals were designed (can slide in & out of the tower) went with the original game mechanic of destroying them. The light up feature on the tallest is fun even though the color does not match the source.

Now moving onto the obvious centerpiece of the set (aside from the Endermen which were really cool), the Ender Dragon. Holy mother of everything retro and awesome, he/she/it is, well, awesome. I do have a couple of things to point out like the stiff joints making it difficult to create some dynamic poses and although neat seeing the UCS Batmobile wings make a return they do seem bland compared to the rest of the body. I might try to redesign the wings to better match the game and tweak the joints for smoother articulation (maybe get rid of the mechanical ‘flapping’ function too) but aside from that, the Ender Dragon is a kickass brick-built beast and will be sticking around on display in my room for a good while terrorizing what few houses I have. Ha.

Well anyway, I can understand the many statements said comparing this set of the Minecraft line to the others as "dull", "uninspired", "not as exciting", you know the usual compliments of disapproval but honestly it is what is based on the source material. The End is an empty void with nothing but a floating island sparsely covered with dark pillars born of obsidian each having a spinning cube powering the sole soaring sauron you had to defeat in order for safe passage home. The set here LEGO designed is pretty much exactly that (except for the whole void and floating part). Of course everything is not completely 100% perfect but for what LEGO is and what can be done, I think they balanced the two worlds of LEGO and Minecraft quite well once again.

I almost forgot. The 'flying platform' seen on the box, I think is supposed to be the obsidian platform where you spawn in The End so it is not actually flying but just 'floating'. Also the side build of the Ender Dragon egg pillar was okay but the base with the portal did seem a bit small. Still getting that new dome part in black is fantastic I think.

What do all these young kids call it, TBT.

6195 Neptune Discovery Lab (picked up for $30US)

I have this set in one of my many childhood memory lego boxes ;-)

Don't really want to build it though ^.^ The diving suits together with white torso (mostly from LEGO pirates french or english troops with the front part turned to the back covered by the diving suit served as "stormtrooper" armor before LEGO released LEGO Star Wars ^.^

They are still in active service though! (Even though not as stormtroopers anymore ^.^)

Built the F40 last night. I know that it appears many here dislike it but it is a very nicely thought out build. Lots of clever use of clips to connect panels and pieces and building in multiple directions; made me think of paneling techniques used in the Blue Power set's jet. The air ducts on the hood are cleverly designed - they are clipped on to a horizontal bar inside the section after being built inwards facing each other

• Like 2