What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

Well pretty funny Jaylay posted 9493 right before what I am posting as I had those questions.  I wondered how long the build was and size differential for the 2.  I love the way 10240 looks completed but I just don't see the value for it hitting a high dollar amount after retirement.  Took right around 4 hours.  For a UCS set I just don't think that is challenging enough.  Like I said in my Red 5 post the other day I built the Imperial Shuttle right before this so I might be a little skewed but another member said he built Slave 1 and then this and felt the same way as far as the challenge of the build.  I still see it hitting $300-350 but after building it I don't see it being a $400+ set.  I wouldn't shell out that amount of money for it.  I had no problem putting out aftermarket money for the shuttle and it delivered.   Now that 9493 is around $100 for about 1/3 the pieces I think the value is right for that set.  This set is 3x the pieces and roughly 3x the price so I guess they are on par with the exception of the build time.   Well here are the pics. 

post-40002-0-51785600-1425086206_thumb.j

post-40002-0-45642700-1425086208_thumb.j

post-40002-0-33238600-1425086211_thumb.j

post-40002-0-01712400-1425086214_thumb.j

post-40002-0-23689000-1425086216_thumb.j

• Like 3

10234- Sydney Opera House

The SOH replaces the TB as the new living room centerpiece, so expectations were high from the entire family. Jury is still out on this one, but it is starting to grow on me.

Pro's:

• Lots of unique pieces including a ton of dark tan, several hundred dark translucent windows, and a ton of white shells
  • End result is stunning, and looks great from all angles.
  • Speaking of angles, the geometry to do the shells is simply astounding
  • challenging, unique, if not somewhat strange build'
  • more transportable than the TB, with easily separated sections.
Cons
  • While I mention that it looks great from all angles, our table will only all to display it from the side. Going to have to work on a new spot
  • shell build gets a little redundant, but how they all come together is remarkable
  • Speaking of the shells, I am not certain I like the layered shell look (instead of on smooth shell), but it is growing on me.
  • missing two piece (no big deal) but some of the white shell pieces have a bit of a weird distortion on a few of them.
Overall worth the time. I will definitely stash another one of these away should it decide to retire early (ya never know!). I think this will be an EOL winner.

post-39513-0-54132600-1425266428_thumb.j

Edited by Yinchuan
  • Like 2

Looks awesome! I really have to pick up one of those shuttle polys...

I think I have all versions of the shuttle from 10212 down to the polys and the advent calander. When the new 1,000 piece shuttle comes out this fall I think it will be time to build and display them.

Nice job Raven!

• Like 2

Wife, daughter and I built 70804 Lego Movie Ice Cream Truck today.  We opted for the Ice Cream Truck build.

It's a fun little build, and neat little vehicle.  Sometime this year, I'm going to start a Fairground MOC (for display at non-holiday times), and the Ice Cream Truck will go well in there.

Wife, daughter and I built 70804 Lego Movie Ice Cream Truck today.  We opted for the Ice Cream Truck build.

It's a fun little build, and neat little vehicle.  Sometime this year, I'm going to start a Fairground MOC (for display at non-holiday times), and the Ice Cream Truck will go well in there.

Is the size appropriate for a modular street display? Was thinking of picking one up for that reason.

Is the size appropriate for a modular street display? Was thinking of picking one up for that reason.

Not sure.  I don't have any modulars built to compare it too.  If I had to guess I'd guess it's probably similar in length to the limo in the PC, but don't quote me on that.

The ice cream truck well as the other 2-in-1 vehicles stand a bit tall and could use some modifying to make them shorter to the ground but they work fine overall. Main flaw with this one is the customer counter is a brick too high making regular minifigures barely able to be served properly as the counter stops right at the top of their heads. Anyway here is a mod to remedy that using only the included pieces. An LDD file is up to download in the main post there.
  • Like 3

My normal method of building is to sit down and build a set until it's finished, marathon building if you will. I've decided to take a different approach when I started the Parisian restaurant. I've been building a little bit at a time and I think I'm enjoying this style more. I've been at it for about a week and I just finished the bottom floor. I'm impressed so far.

• Like 3

My normal method of building is to sit down and build a set until it's finished, marathon building if you will. I've decided to take a different approach when I started the Parisian restaurant. I've been building a little bit at a time and I think I'm enjoying this style more. I've been at it for about a week and I just finished the bottom floor. I'm impressed so far.

Parisian Restaurant is the only modular that I have built so far. When I finished up the kitchen on the first floor I realized just why these types of sets are so special.

I built this little Technic set tonight to test my shoulder.. Yep, Slave I is in my sights!

post-8090-14263029966924_thumb.jpg

Aside from absolutely hating assembling those little black tracks, it was a fun little build - about 45 minutes while watching TF Dark of the Moon. Some creative angles and the tracks "roll" easier than I thought they would.

Edited by gregpj

Finished up Green Grocer this morning. This is only my second modular build and it sucked me in just as much as PR did. Not a ton of interior details but display value is amazing. Love it!

My wife says it looks like a haunted house, which is also bonus because the one actual haunted house I have is nowhere near coming out of its box, ever.

Edited by Yinchuan

I am actually rather impressed with how clever the 75912 set is. And the two porkers are much better renditions of the real cars than the other sports cars of the Speed Champions series. I especially love the starting light mechanism where the lights drop as you pull the Technic axle.

Yes, the old baseplate is too narrow, this would never qualify as a FIA approved track...

P.s. sorry for the rotated pic - typical Samsung EXIF data problems...

post-49737-0-04532100-1426442658_thumb.j

Edited by steliosk