What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

I've just started gathering pieces from the bulk sets I have. So no "real" cost yet (other than my time to sort).

I haven't thought about the sound brick yet - I probably won't do that if it's too expensive. As for the canopies...they are generally $50 each, so I think it about $500 for those. Way to rich for my blood. Others have done paper canopies, and honestly, those look good. You could also cut material similar to the stuff LEGO uses for minfigure capes. I might do that. I'm considering MOC'ing that part, and making the canopies out of bricks, similar to the way the Millenium Falcon's roof opens up. I haven't sorted that part out yet.

I'll dig up the thread I started on Eurobricks because a few people chimed in with some good ideas.

Here's the Eurobricks thread on MOC'ing a Grand Carousel.

Here's the Eurobricks thread on MOC'ing a Grand Carousel.

Thanks for sharing.  I am about 75% done with my Grand Carousel project.  I am using the large gray baseplate ($15 at Lego store) instead of green.  I don't plan on getting sound brick since the current price is just too insane, and besides, I am still dreaming some day someone will come up a cheap programmable sound brick where I could load up my own music onto it (I think I remember someone posted a project on CUSSOO site).

I still don't have the white canopies yet.  I don't think I will ever drop a few hundreds just for a few pieces of paper.   

I am going to try out different types of paper and fabric to see how thing turns out.

Hoping to finish the project in the next couple of days.  I will post some pictures when I am done.

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing.  I am about 75% done with my Grand Carousel project.  I am using the large gray baseplate ($15 at Lego store) instead of green.  I don't plan on getting sound brick since the current price is just too insane, and besides, I am still dreaming some day someone will come up a cheap programmable sound brick where I could load up my own music onto it (I think I remember someone posted a project on CUSSOO site).

I still don't have the white canopies yet.  I don't think I will ever drop a few hundreds just for a few pieces of paper.   

I am going to try out different types of paper and fabric to see how thing turns out.

Hoping to finish the project in the next couple of days.  I will post some pictures when I am done.

Awesome!  Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Did you do any brick replacements?

For now, I'm sticking with the inventory, but I'm tempted to give that Friends looking one a go.  Since I have a 6 year old daughter is big into Friends, that would be a big hit.

But yesterday, I was at Legoland California for Star Wars Days, and after looking over the Star Wars MOCs, I got thinking....wouldn't a Star Wars carousel look kinda cool?  Imagine R2 and C3P0 heads along the top, etc.

In the middle of R2D2 - what a great build. IMO, every Lego SW collector needs to own this set. My only complaint is that it's a bit pricey for the final size of the model.

R2-D2 is a great display piece with nice extra features and I think it is worth the price, particularly compared to most $100 sets.

As for builds - I built the ghost train that I picked up for $35 used. It ended up missing 2 pieces to the plane but I only wanted the train set for Halloween and will get rid of the plan anyway. It was an interesting build and it was not what I expected.

Ex astris, scientia.

Built the Star Wars AT-TE last night.  It's actually a really great build, very cool.  My son has clones all over it. 

He has officially ran out of room on both of his LEGO tables.  Even though I just bought him the Shredder Lair, the TMNT stuff may get put away for a bit.  Too many themes, since he has all the Batman sets, a bunch of Chima, Star Wars, and TMNT currently.

7673-1 MagnaGuard Starfighter.

This is one of five sets out of a lot off eBay, with one still sealed and one only box open, but bags still intact. I only had time to check this one of the three open sets yet, and (as expected, and stated on eBay) a few minor pieces were missing. All essential parts are there though, the figs are there, their robes are pristine (never used apparently), and the stickers have also not been applied yet (new sheet included). According to BP prices, the used-value of this set alone is what I paid for the whole (small) lot inclusive shipping.

My dilemma is only that after building it I now rather like the ship. :)

By the way: how do you usually check if a set is complete? Do you build it, or do you check the inventory that can sometimes be found in the manual?

By the way: how do you usually check if a set is complete? Do you build it, or do you check the inventory that can sometimes be found in the manual?

The one time I needed to see if a set was all there, I checked the inventory page and went down the list by finding the proper amounts of each part. It does take a good while but not as much as trying to build the design with the possibility of missing pieces looming overhead.

I bought the Sea Cow for my sons 6th birthday. He just finished it tonight. He built 95% of it by himself! pretty impressive for a 6 year old, but he is a self appointed Master Builder. Haha! This is an incredible set! It's just huge and very detailed. I had to take a pic next to our other favorite set, the Haunted House, for size comparison.

post-5848-0-44662500-1396836004_thumb.jp

post-5848-0-88177400-1396836016_thumb.jp

• Like 4

I bought the Sea Cow for my sons 6th birthday. He just finished it tonight. He built 95% of it by himself! pretty impressive for a 6 year old, but he is a self appointed Master Builder. Haha! This is an incredible set! It's just huge and very detailed. I had to take a pic next to our other favorite set, the Haunted House, for size comparison.

haunted House looks small

SOOOOOOOO, we built the cragger command ship.  This was my first CHIMA set built with my daughter (4). They loved the mini figs and loved the playability of the set.  I will NOT be investing in this theme.  The build was boring, with too many large molded pieces.  This may or may not be a hit but I will  not allocate resources to it.  I will be buying a Lion Chi Temple on Mega clearance for them to build and play with.  No investment for me.

Dang, the ship is about as big as the kid! :blink:

haunted House looks small

No kidding and I thought the Haunted House was a large enough set. Sheesh.