What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

• 2 weeks later...
"With my children" -- let's be honest, how many of you are popping out kids to solely justify the addiction? Or worse, "investing"... 
ps: love the Mickey and Minnie one, and I'm not even close to a Disney fan
In my defense we had our youngest shortly before the Lego bug took a strong hold. Lol.

But I have definitely bought sets "to build with my kids". Lol
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Found this at Kohl's today and had some rewards to use. Fun little build with a great minifigure. I wish they had gone with different knee and elbow joints to allow for more articulation. They had a bunch of other August 1st release sets out.

20230722_215633.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Ecto said:

Started working on a compilation of the 40593 builds tonight. Here's the crab emoji886.png

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

That music set to that crab being built was just great! Nice short video.  I'm using Stop Motion Studio (paid version) on my phone and building set with my daughter.  I also have it on my Windows laptop.  For having some attention challenges I'm surprised my daughter was able to focus for a couple hours straight piece by piece taking pictures.  Some people are surprised when they learn how painstaking the process is and controlling light/shadows consistently is hard (we mistakenly were on the kitchen table by the window as the sun was going down, we don't have a stop motion studio yet).  What do you use for taking photos and editing?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MusiKyle said:

That music set to that crab being built was just great! Nice short video.  I'm using Stop Motion Studio (paid version) on my phone and building set with my daughter.  I also have it on my Windows laptop.  For having some attention challenges I'm surprised my daughter was able to focus for a couple hours straight piece by piece taking pictures.  Some people are surprised when they learn how painstaking the process is and controlling light/shadows consistently is hard (we mistakenly were on the kitchen table by the window as the sun was going down, we don't have a stop motion studio yet).  What do you use for taking photos and editing?

The biggest challenge I find is getting the right angle for specific parts of the build without making the video so motion heavy that it detracts from it.  I’m using Dragonframe and Premiere Pro.  I started out with Pinnacle because it didn’t require a subscription, but you get what you pay for…Premiere is so much faster.

1 hour ago, redcell said:

I’m using Dragonframe and Premiere Pro.

I just Googled each of these and they both appear to be able to do Stop Motion videos on their own.  What do you use each for?  Dragon frame for certain aspects and Premiere Pro for others?  How do you split tasks between these two software titles?

1 hour ago, MusiKyle said:

I just Googled each of these and they both appear to be able to do Stop Motion videos on their own.  What do you use each for?  Dragon frame for certain aspects and Premiere Pro for others?  How do you split tasks between these two software titles?

I use Dragonframe for the shooting.  It lets me take pictures from multiple cameras at the same time, allows me to playback a sequence as I’m shooting it, and a bunch of other handy things during the shooting process.  I use Premiere Pro for everything after the shooting.  I import the image sequences, edit out mistakes, create transitions between different shots, add music, etc.  It’s a pretty daunting program to learn, but I got an online course and taught myself to use it during a transatlantic cruise I did with my wife earlier this year.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, MusiKyle said:

Hey thanks for saying that, appreciate it!

I actually do everything with Stop Motion Studio & CapCut. The light, shadows, and flickering are certainly some of the first challenges. Recommend avoiding natural light and only use one light source. Also make sure to lock your exposure and white balance in stop motion studio. After exporting your video, clean it up in CapCut, using the stabilize video tool, then add whatever effects and filters you want. 

You don't need much to get going, or a studio. A table, a tripod and a single ring light is all I use for the majority of my stop motion content. I tape the baseplate down to the desk to further stabilize things. Here's a quick shot of what it looks like. 

desk.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you built the original no real need for this one. There was only 2 places with new build techniques that were neat. They did change how you build the turrets but if you have built the Saturn V, which came out a year after the original castle, they used the exact same build which is fine but the same exact color elements although not visible they don’t blend in with this build. Those pieces are available in this color scheme so that seemed lazy to me. It was surprisingly missing a 1X4 Sand Blue brick that I had to build around until the replacement came, there was an extra gold dish piece that is used in the set but not in that bag, never had that happen before. 

I like the sand blue castle build but overall prefer the original visually. 

IMG_3153.jpeg

IMG_4041.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dennugsmello said:

Finished this last night. This is a 10/10 build for me. Absolutely no repetition, great building techniques, and looks outstanding in person. 

The buildings were the best part to build. Each had its own unique build style. Hats off to the designer for this one. A homerun. 

Sorry for the bad picture, just snapped a quick one as I came in the office. 

Hog.jpg

This is my next up build allegedly. You can swap out the 1x4 black jumper tiles and sell the minifigure since it really doesn't fit the scale of the set if that works for you.