What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

On 11/29/2023 at 7:54 AM, bigfanofnu said:

I saw a YouTube video from Bricksie where he accidently kicked his Eiffel tower that was sitting on the ground and was dreading putting it back together because the build was so boring and repetitive.

It took me parts of 4 days to build it.  I'd pay someone to build it the second time.  It's massive and awesome, just not fun to build, which is unfortunate, but it is what it is with these realistic buildings.  I got a feeling Avengers Tower will be a bit repetitive as well, but not to this extent.

Finished the most recent UCS X-wing. Overall it makes a good addition to my UCS collection (8 built with the Razor Crest still to build). The wing mechanism is pretty cool, but the wings are so heavy that they droop a little especially when they are in the closed position. R2 also looks a little off. Now to find a place to display it.

20231203_212534.jpg

• Like 5

Worst AFOL set of 2023 nominee. Horrible build they break it up into 4 instruction books so friends and family can partake in the misery. The element choices are subpar especially the omission of 1x1 black bricks for the ones with holes, oh and the Technic 1x12 beams X 8 are ridiculous to apply. The instructions even with color guidelines are not easy to follow due to printing and at the END of the rocket launch subset they give you 3 alternative constellation builds from the default Big Dipper that would require you to breakdown half the build. Hopefully they display nice on the wall the reason I bought them. The reviews are great on this set but I would avoid it at all cost, well 50% off would be nice, to build and definitely hard pass to invest in.  

FullSizeRender.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Worst AFOL set of 2023 nominee. Horrible build they break it up into 4 instruction books so friends and family can partake in the misery. The element choices are subpar especially the omission of 1x1 black bricks for the ones with holes, oh and the Technic 1x12 beams X 8 are ridiculous to apply. The instructions even with color guidelines are not easy to follow due to printing and at the END of the rocket launch subset they give you 3 alternative constellation builds from the default Big Dipper that would require you to breakdown half the build. Hopefully they display nice on the wall the reason I bought them. The reviews are great on this set but I would avoid it at all cost, well 50% off would be nice, to build and definitely hard pass to invest in.  

FullSizeRender.jpeg

so I like most everything you get and I probably will get one of these

I am a big lego space fan and have absolutely no excitement over this set

what are these ?

from left to right

Star Trek Enterprise
Moon Patrol
Galaxian (the beam)
Alderaan

46 minutes ago, starwarsxpress said:

so I like most everything you get and I probably will get one of these

I am a big lego space fan and have absolutely no excitement over this set

what are these ?

from left to right

Star Trek Enterprise
Moon Patrol
Galaxian (the beam)
Alderaan

There is a 5th instruction book that explains it: “inspired by 1980s sci-fi myths, movies, books and posters”.

Star Trek Enterprise = observatory for viewing comets and shooting stars

Moon Patrol = moon base and lunar eclipse

Galaxian (the beam) = space shuttle

Alderaan = black hole

49 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

Speaking of stickers - I saw this bit of advice attached to a review in which the buyer complained about the stickers in a set:

Has anyone given this a shot? @Pseudoty I know you build a lot of Speed Champions sets, so maybe you've heard of this before?

I haven't tried window cleaner, but I imagine something like Rapid Tac would work well.  It's what's used to apply those clear door edge/ sill protectors on autos.  I used it when I applied those to our new vehicle and worked awesome.  Haven't tried it on a set as I rarely apply stickers but perhaps I will give it a go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BillyBricks said:

Speaking of stickers - I saw this bit of advice attached to a review in which the buyer complained about the stickers in a set:

image.thumb.png.bf537f6b505b07c6569775c3a538f19c.png

Has anyone given this a shot? @Pseudoty I know you build a lot of Speed Champions sets, so maybe you've heard of this before?

Yes, when I build the Speed champions and want them to look perfect I wear nitrile gloves to avoid any finger prints, if the stickers and/or the element are Trans, like the Supra, I will clean the element first with eye glass cleaning solution because any smudges or fingerprints from handling the element  will show through.  I use a small bottle of eye glass cleaning solution and spray a fine mist from about 8 inches away on the element that I am applying it to then use the eyeglass no scratch cloth to absorb any excess and use a weighted exacto knife to remove, align, and place the sticker keeping placement with adjoining stickers in mind as you don't always want the sticker centered for the overall build to look its best. I will then use the cloth and the rounded edge of a brick separator to remove any air bubbles. 

Trans stickers are not as thick as white/colored back stickers and placing them is more difficult especially on trans elements. I remember before I used the above technique I totally botched the cockpit elements on the original tumbler and most of my bigger builds I would not even apply the stickers too, but those speed champions sets look amazing when done properly. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Thanos75 said:

I found a case of the new minifigs at my local Walmart. It was missing the front 6 packs but I bought the rest of the case. After opening them all up I was missing 2 figures The Detective and the Olympian. So whoever grabbed them will have 3 copies of each.

It wasn’t register locked? I got denied on Wednesday am

Just now, Elkkthunder said:

It wasn’t register locked? I got denied on Wednesday am

My store the upc wouldn’t scan and they wouldn’t sell.  In Live free or die NH no less.  I didn’t feel like I was livin free when they took them away from the basket.  Same thing with Disney 100.  

• Haha 1

Working on Viking Village, and hung the Great Wave. GF built the Taj, she said it was repetitive as most sections are built X4 and some X16 but loved the detail especially the build that is not visible once the set is completed and looks amazing when done, also she did Cat & Mouse. She is going to do the Grand Piano next and I may finally break open the Titanic if we can get a few days with some snow. 

IMG_4389.jpeg

IMG_4403.jpeg

IMG_6762.jpeg

72573287325__3D264A60-0599-4CE8-82C4-4338ABE2E3A2.jpeg

• Like 3

On 12/17/2023 at 8:11 PM, Pseudoty said:

FullSizeRender.jpeg

I like this set but it falls into the “neat, but being built with Lego doesn’t add value” category that a lot of Ideas sets are falling into. Whereas the Indiana Jones Temple set I just built is pure Lego goodness. Combination of building techniques, playability and displayable all make it a 10/10 set. 

• Like 3

Finished Viking Village it is a good build, display and play set but not great in any one of those three areas. Also, a good PPP value with no stickers, but the minifigures are severely lacking it could have used 6 but if we got just one more that was done really well with arm printing and a unique weapon that would have been nice. 

If it goes on sale at Target even for 10% off I would grab it  

Up next is Starry Night. 

IMG_4428.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Finished Viking Village it is a good build, display and play set but not great in any one of those three areas. Also, a good PPP value with no stickers, but the minifigures are severely lacking it could have used 6 but if we got just one more that was done really well with arm printing and a unique weapon that would have been nice. 

If it goes on sale at Target even for 10% off I would grab it  

Up next is Starry Night. 

IMG_4428.jpeg

It needed a boat. Or some marauders attacking. Like you said it is only good. But not interesting enough for me to want to display. 

• Like 1