What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

I love the juxtaposition of my 98 piece build and your 6785 piece build.

That’s roughly 69 Razor Crests.

• Haha 1

I found most of the pieces of the 2006 version of the Slave I (set 6209) in a bulk lot I got for free from a neighbor years ago (paid them $50 anyway and have more than recouped my money on selling parts of it) and bought the few missing pieces from BrickLink.  My quest to complete this started with finding the trans-black windscreen.

This one is a keeper!  Only the Boba Fett minifigure and the Han Solo in Carbonite brick are original, and the rest are from advent calendars or random buys over the years.

This set of is larger than I thought and was a fun build.  I am glad I had the instruction book since building it from a PDF is near impossible since it hard to differentiate the colors.  It was interesting not having each part on each page identified like it is now for each section of the build.  Lego has made us lazy, I guess.  LOL!  I will be interesting to see the size difference between the UCS version once I build it and this one.

The wings do rotate automatically as the ship flies.

1020298608_6209SlaveI_1.jpg.f3f898288ba81d51f05d9c2f1bbbe85d.jpg

1903937672_6209SlaveI_2.jpg.76b2814ab8895d1209919ac09ac9d7a0.jpg

980918669_6209SlaveI_3.jpg.7d0d5c4515e3afe6fa025d27bd667c5f.jpg

1347831953_6209SlaveI_4.jpg.3d0e3eb81ed27003f50ffd57d6a74358.jpg

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

also when applying difficult stickers do folks here try to line it up to an edge or throw caution to the wind and try to center?

I try to center it. Also, I've seen a lot of people have success with putting the sticker on the flat end of the brick removal tool to assist with applying it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

also when applying difficult stickers do folks here try to line it up to an edge or throw caution to the wind and try to center?

PXL_20220115_031622049_MP.thumb.jpg.10db8e0643d75c55daaa833b97b00e8d.jpg

Obviously a rectangle isn't the hardest piece, but this example shows my general strategy and also a pitfall of that strategy. These stickers would look best rammed right up to the center edge, but my default is to center side to side and then leave that much room at the end.

Screenshot_20220114-212620.thumb.png.e9b954479f40abdd4e50780e89e52461.png

Hopefully this diagram makes sense? Also there is a lot of dust in Apocalypseburg.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, keymomachine said:

Obviously a rectangle isn't the hardest piece, but this example shows my general strategy and also a pitfall of that strategy. These stickers would look best rammed right up to the center edge, but my default is to center side to side and then leave that much room at the end

I build the set and apply the stickers after using a weighted long tipped Xacto Knife. Sometimes I will have to disassemble a few pieces to reach and get things aligned up properly, but doing it this way you can place the stickers so they display best which is not always centered as seen above. If it is just 2 stickers I have them touching but when it is 3 in a row I try to center the middle and have the ones on the sides as close to the middle sticker as possible if that makes sense. For concave and convex elements I will use eyeglass spray cleaner to wet the element first and then align it. For translucent stickers I will always clean the elements first with the eyeglass spray as fingerprints show through, and for translucent stickers on translucent elements that are highly visible I will wear nitrile gloves and use the spray. 

If I am being my usual OCD self I will try and apply them as close to reality.  On the Ford GT lego uses 2 stickers for the front grille air intake with an orange gap in between.  Sometimes vehicles do have a splitter in the body color so you want that gap but looking at the real GT it is not there so I aligned the 2 stickers touching and along the bottom edge of the elements.  Lego shows them centered which looks nicely aligned but like arse to me.

Probably a lot more than you wanted to know, and this adds a lot of time to the build but the results are more realistic.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/X-Acto-No-1-Precision-Knife-Z-series-with-Safety-Cap/21778184

E2A38E3B-9F44-45F2-85ED-3E4CD974ED2B.jpeg

13C2F43E-10D8-4B58-9958-F1E49E513522.jpeg

E5D71483-C9C4-4773-9977-16CDC890C7C9.jpeg

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 4

I build the set and apply the stickers after using a weighted long tipped Xacto Knife. *snip*

That same Xacto knife is also a great tool (and so is a razor blade like the one building contractors use) to lift misaligned stickers and place them again. Even works with older stickers; I used it on my recent slate of 2nd hand Hobbit sets that needed adjustment.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Giant-Man from the Avengers Super Hero Airport Battle (Bricklinked)

0f38355291a89f718a27b2636c902a2e.jpg

2078154675_AntMan.thumb.jpg.8981605497b533b75e7d79233d244a1d.jpg

That is a cool little build. I was able to purchase just the ant man in it's sealed bag with instructions and sticker sheet from BrickLink in 2019. Once I finished the build I decided to add some extra stickers I made from cutting some of the remaining tidbits from the sticker sheet. (Yes I know the tiny ones are a bit crooked) Ill probably open a 76192 for an actual tiny one. Then I can build that sweet van too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tz6p06 said:

I havent started it yet, but I am planning on tearing down the tower bridge this afternoon and building it again.  Its been a couple years, but I liked the build.

In my "plans I have that will probably never happen," when I tear down my tower bridge, I am going to rebuild it into the MOC corner-modular version that is on Rebrickable.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

I build the set and apply the stickers after using a weighted long tipped Xacto Knife. Sometimes I will have to disassemble a few pieces to reach and get things aligned up properly, but doing it this way you can place the stickers so they display best which is not always centered as seen above. If it is just 2 stickers I have them touching but when it is 3 in a row I try to center the middle and have the ones on the sides as close to the middle sticker as possible if that makes sense. For concave and convex elements I will use eyeglass spray cleaner to wet the element first and then align it. For translucent stickers I will always clean the elements first with the eyeglass spray as fingerprints show through, and for translucent stickers on translucent elements that are highly visible I will wear nitrile gloves and use the spray. 

If I am being my usual OCD self I will try and apply them as close to reality.  On the Ford GT lego uses 2 stickers for the front grille air intake with an orange gap in between.  Sometimes vehicles do have a splitter in the body color so you want that gap but looking at the real GT it is not there so I aligned the 2 stickers touching and along the bottom edge of the elements.  Lego shows them centered which looks nicely aligned but like arse to me.

Probably a lot more than you wanted to know, and this adds a lot of time to the build but the results are more realistic.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/X-Acto-No-1-Precision-Knife-Z-series-with-Safety-Cap/21778184

E2A38E3B-9F44-45F2-85ED-3E4CD974ED2B.jpeg

13C2F43E-10D8-4B58-9958-F1E49E513522.jpeg

E5D71483-C9C4-4773-9977-16CDC890C7C9.jpeg

you are on the top of my list of a seller I would buy used sets from.

50 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

In my "plans I have that will probably never happen," when I tear down my tower bridge, I am going to rebuild it into the MOC corner-modular version that is on Rebrickable.

I've been hunting for a 2nd used Tower Set just for that plan