What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

Finally completed my Winter Village collection (ok, I don't have 10199, but I have the re-release). Built 10216 Bakery and 10222 Post Office after grabbing a partial lot for 10222 and bricklinking/borrowing from personal collection for the rest of the pieces. Still waiting for 1 sticker to arrive (for the pretzel sign) and need to change out the horse for the correct version, but this is now built with no substitutions from the original kit (even the tiles with clip and the 1x2 jumpers are the correct versions).

I have to admit it is quite nerve-wrecking to put together a set when you know that the piece you are holding is going for $5-$10 used on BL. I'm looking at you, 8x8 plates in Trans-Blue, and you, brick arch 1x8x2 in Medium Nougat, and you, 8 plate 1x2 with handle on side in Tan.

Total across EBay and BL (including the aforementioned expensive pieces, all stickers and manuals) will have set me back ~$230. Not cheap, but cheaper than picking them up second hand complete (each go for ~$200 used complete on EBay currently). I figured now was a better time than closer to the holidays to finish this project.

Used the opportunity to try out my new lightbox for taking pictures, but ran out of space displaying both at the same time :)

20200607_153134 (Medium).jpg

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 7

I BL’d 10199 before the rerelease happened. Wife had me pick up the rerelease anyway. The rerelease has been built, and 10199 sits there waiting for me to figure out what to do with it - do I need two in my Winter Village or should I just sell it off.

Congrats on finishing up. I still need the last two (Fire Station, Gingerbread House)

14 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I BL’d 10199 before the rerelease happened. Wife had me pick up the rerelease anyway. The rerelease has been built, and 10199 sits there waiting for me to figure out what to do with it - do I need two in my Winter Village or should I just sell it off.

Used complete 10199's with manual, but no box go for ~$100 shipped on EBay, with outliers down towards $70 as well as up just over $130. Still nice, but what holds this one back is:

a) The re-release competing with this set

b) The fact that Bricklinking every piece for this set only costs you ~$95 (Brickstock Used pieces after removing extras and all alternatives)

c) There are no out-of-production part/color combinations in this set, at least none that are commanding big dollars. Unless you consider the $2 cat ....

But, should still give you a bit over RRP back after fees and shipping. Depending what you spent on Bricklinking this, could be worth it, or just worth it for extra cash in your pocket.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 7:26 PM, TacoCat said:

Kinda felt like I was building a giant brickheadz.

I just built the Tie Fighter Helmet yesterday and today. I feel the same way. The Tie Fighter is unique, it has some complex builds for each of the sides and the tube technique is also interesting...But i just cant get into this set, even after it's complete.

Not sure what to do with it. It was cool to build, but not sure ill get any more of these unless there is a theme/bust that I really like.

• Like 2

7019 Vikings Fafnir Dragon Fortress

This set had been on my list for eons, and I finally found a decently priced one a few weeks ago. Missing a few pieces, nearly complete. Build was pretty basic, tons of stacking, but the overall product looks great, especially on the castle shelf. Overall, I really like it. I generally like bigger sets that don't use tons of tiny pieces, and this one has a certain classic feel to it.

Can't believe this thing was a cool 70 bucks at retail, considering the size, features, and dragon. Oh yeah, and the box flips

IMG_9033.JPG

• Like 8

2 hours ago, t_mafia said:

Can't believe this thing was a cool 70 bucks at retail, considering the size, features, and dragon. 

Even more shocking: the Vikings theme sat at shop-at-home for weeks at 50% when EOL came (except for the ship, that went quick).  QFLL wasn't yet a thing back then.  One of my big regerts is not picking up any at the time, having just come out of my dark ages.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, t_mafia said:

7019 Vikings Fafnir Dragon Fortress

Nice, that looks good, its been one that I've thought about starting a hunt for but haven't, may need to now! I was starting to enter my brief dark age around the time Vikings came out and only had a couple of the smallest sets. I pieced together the ship from two bulk lots last year, but now I may need to secure a home for Crew! 

I'd love to see a new Viking line using the parts from the new Viking CMF, that's a great looking mini figure! 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 4:06 PM, Phil B said:

Finally completed my Winter Village collection (ok, I don't have 10199, but I have the re-release). Built 10216 Bakery and 10222 Post Office after grabbing a partial lot for 10222 and bricklinking/borrowing from personal collection for the rest of the pieces. Still waiting for 1 sticker to arrive (for the pretzel sign) and need to change out the horse for the correct version, but this is now built with no substitutions from the original kit (even the tiles with clip and the 1x2 jumpers are the correct versions).

Total across EBay and BL (including the aforementioned expensive pieces, all stickers and manuals) will have set me back ~$230. Not cheap, but cheaper than picking them up second hand complete (each go for ~$200 used complete on EBay currently). I figured now was a better time than closer to the holidays to finish this project.

Funny, I did the same.  The winter sets have been going for cheep during the pandemic.  I recently completed my collection (also minus 10199, but I too have the re-release) with the PO, Cottage, and Market for about 20-30% lower than normal.  Missing about 20 total pieces, two batteries for a light brick (target had a multi-pack 25% off), two stickers for the PO and the PO instructions.  In the end, I BL'd the PO instructions and a few pieces I didn't have in my inventory.

It is interesting comparing the cottage and PO to the most recent fire house - not near as snowy.  Very different looks. 

Fire house should be going away this year.  I've been told it is not a popular set.  Hasn't even gone backorder during the pandemic while the gingerbread house went oos at least once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exracer327 said:

Fire house should be going away this year.  I've been told it is not a popular set.  Hasn't even gone backorder during the pandemic while the gingerbread house went oos at least once.

Fire House is also 2 years old this year, and usually, LEGO only has two Winter sets out at a time.  Which tells me it's really time for me to pick it up.

• Like 2

Built the extreme offroader 42099 few weeks back. While it's nice, it's torque and power seemed lacking and its ability to climb and clear obstacles is not satisfactory. So I got parts for and finished the Efferman mod from rebrickable, what a difference! It will climb any obstacles in front of it now! Very pleased with the results. The drawbacks were lower max speed and I think a larger turning radius (both from memory not proven). Very worthwhile upgrade for $40 of parts from BL. If anyone is planning on building one, make sure you manually calibrate the wheels when you insert the motor controlling the steering (connect to hub and have the motor rest in neutral position, then insert the motor while the steering bar is dead center). I didn't do this and had to take apart and rebuild the entire front section.

Edited by locidm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, part of the challenge when you work intermittently on a build, you might make a mistake. Yesterday I found out I was one peg over too far in the Porsche build, having to teardown and rebuild the gearing. Here is an image.

0623201949_HDR.thumb.jpg.9f6d3f42ecbe4fae86f6305ba63e0e40.jpg

I didn't mind it as much though, I had sorted the parts previously since this was a used set. So far, the only thing I am missing is the secondary sticker showing the track layout. Id really like that, but otherwise, this build IS very awesome and I am glad I purchased it. Next will be to get the Bugatti and then the Lambo. I might even have to rebuild my 42000 Set from storage. Ive really been on a Technic kick lately.

• Like 6

So, part of the challenge when you work intermittently on a build, you might make a mistake. Yesterday I found out I was one peg over too far in the Porsche build, having to teardown and rebuild the gearing. Here is an image.
I didn't mind it as much though, I had sorted the parts previously since this was a used set. So far, the only thing I am missing is the secondary sticker showing the track layout. Id really like that, but otherwise, this build IS very awesome and I am glad I purchased it. Next will be to get the Bugatti and then the Lambo. I might even have to rebuild my 42000 Set from storage. Ive really been on a Technic kick lately.

That’s what scares me about Technic sets. All those gears just look intimidating to me.

33 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

That’s what scares me about Technic sets. All those gears just look intimidating to me.

the gears are what makes it awesome for me...my jaw dropped when I heard the Bugatti has actually paddle shifters that work...simply nuts.

1 hour ago, CosmicSpeed said:

what's your take on building this set used?  I avoided this specifically for these types of Technic sets because the pieces are curved so re-building used may affect fit.

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

what's your take on building this set used?  I avoided this specifically for these types of Technic sets because the pieces are curved so re-building used may affect fit.

This was superb. I got the box and it was disassembled inside, but not 100%. So I spent the time to sort and disassemble everything and now Im going through building. So far, Ive put together the front suspension and i think the engine is next. Its a slow build that Im taking over the dining room table with (NO GUESTS!)

The previous builder placed the stickers straight, which was my biggest concern. The parts seem relatively perfect and 100% Lego, which was also a concern in getting a TECHNICS fake. Ill keep you posted, but I believe that most users build this once and then display, only then to disassemble and then sell or store, so curving of parts is seemingly minimal.

The porsche gt3 rs is my favorite car build.  It's just awesome...I truly think it's one of the sickest builds.  I'm jealous you get to build it for the first time.

Today I broke down and decided to build the UCS 10240 red5 x-wing.  I was saving it but decided what the heck....its one of the few ucs set I haven't built and I wanted to see how the wings function compared to the small versions.  I forgot how much I enjoy building these more intricate sets.