BRICK CLASSIFIEDS ***OPEN BETA***

Jeff Mack

I know there are many priority things to do right now, but the photo upload needs to be addressed at some point.  Unless we specifically set a photo to a particular scale, it gets cut off when it is uploaded.  It would be great if it is automatically scale it for us.  Thanks.

There is really nothing to address.  It is set that way.  If people view your listing and click on the image, they see the full uncropped image.  I think i mentioned that if i want to resize everything, then i have bunch of redesign work to do and that isn't going to happen right now.  

There is really nothing to address.  It is set that way.  If people view your listing and click on the image, they see the full uncropped image.  I think i mentioned that if i want to resize everything, then i have bunch of redesign work to do and that isn't going to happen right now.  

As of now, one can easily see the photos in the ad without having to click for the full size image.  What if we assume many people don't make the extra click to view the full image?  Then we have a bunch of listings with cut off photos by default.  

I'm not a programmer, so don't know the amount of effort it will take to implement the feature similar to ebay or craigslist where no matter what kind of scale your photos are, it loads and displays them as intended.

Edited by Dkc

As of now, one can easily see the photos in the ad without having to click for the full size image.  What if we assume many people don't make the extra click to view the full image?  Then we have a bunch of listings with cut off photos by default.  

I'm not a programmer, so don't know the amount of effort it will take to implement the feature similar to ebay or craigslist where no matter what kind of scale your photos are, it loads and displays them as intended.

Since the programing is set to crop the photo, I always upload one photo that is cropped exactly how I want it for the first photo.  I don't like the photos cropped in the center, so I adjust my crop to include the set number and name.  The other photos I leave uncropped, so the thumbnails show a center crop, but I think users can figure out to click on the photo to see it larger and uncropped.  I don't think this is ideal either, but it works for now while other issues are more important.

While I don't think people would never have been massively bailing on sales because of a small portion of a cropped photo and there was a message there to click on to see the full size image.  I made a change to the way the photo is done.  If you want to delete your photos and upload them again, people will see your full image though it will be a little smaller.

Also, Bricklink and Brickowl crop their images so much you can't even see them :)

While I don't think people would never have been massively bailing on sales because of a small portion of a cropped photo and there was a message there to click on to see the full size image.  I made a change to the way the photo is done.  If you want to delete your photos and upload them again, people will see your full image though it will be a little smaller.

Also, Bricklink and Brickowl crop their images so much you can't even see them :)

I believe that this is the recent trend (thinking Mobile devices). I don't care for the cropping either, but if I was shopping on a phone - I might.

I don't know how hard it would be to set up - but having an option where someone can choose between a mobile device view or desktop view might help.

Edited by KShine

With all honesty, when a potential buyer clicks on the image to enlarge it, the image that appears is the best I have ever seen on any LEGO auction site.  They are gorgeous.  While the picture on the original listing page might be a little cropped or cut off, I would hope that the buyer would spend the extra 2 SECONDS to click on the picture to enlarge it.  Many sellers have adapted to the photo requirements.  How has Bricklink sold so many sets over the years with garbage photos?

Besides eBay, none of these other sites have a large and beautiful image like ours.  I am sure Jeff can tweak this with time, but for now, I would really like to see the buyers click on the images to enlarge them.  Buyers need to see what they are buying.  They also need to read the listing information as well.  There should be some effort put into a listing from both parties.  

• Like 1

It's amazing what some people find to be an issue.  It's also amazing that Jeff cares enough to go out of his way and change what he did to accommodate it so easily. Even if he cropped the images 50% off its still a heck of a lot more than you see at Brickowl and Bricklink. 

I already stop by the Classifieds several times a day to see what is new.  I also have made one purchase so far and it went very well.  I think as time goes on I already have a very good feeling that this site will capture a chunk of the market.

Ed, from my experience selling on eBay, the typical buyers are too lazy to spend 3 seconds to browse pictures and read the descriptions.  BrickClassified looks good and all but if you expect typical buyers to work then about 50% of them will leave without buying anything.  First impression is everything, IMHO

• Like 1

Iv'e been trying to make a listing with variations but when I go to preview I get this, "Oh snap! Wait! You need to fix the following problems with your item:"

Which tells me nothing. I have went trough everything over and over but get the same results. I have no clue what I need to fix. Is there a way to save a listing you're working on so you may come back later and finish it up? If not then I just lose everything I've done and have to start over from scratch?

Ed, from my experience selling on eBay, the typical buyers are too lazy to spend 3 seconds to browse pictures and read the descriptions.  BrickClassified looks good and all but if you expect typical buyers to work then about 50% of them will leave without buying anything.  First impression is everything, IMHO

With all due respect, what the Hell are people looking at on Bricklink?  How can they sell thousands of LEGO sets a year with generic photos and poor descriptions?  Their current listing page sucks.  

With all due respect, what the Hell are people looking at on Bricklink?  How can they sell thousands of LEGO sets a year with generic photos and poor descriptions?  Their current listing page sucks.  

My understanding is Bricklink cater to specific LEGO fans who do not mind going through interface from mid 90s to look for a particular 1x1 tile they want.  If this is the market BrickClassified is trying to attract, then what we have is more than adequate.

In my relatively short time selling on eBay, the typical "overwork dad who promise little Timmy a rare set for his birthday" kind of buyers do not or cannot spare 3 seconds to see pictures and read all detailed descriptions.  First impression is everything.  Again, this is purely anecdotal as honestly I do not want to waste my time and energy creating crappy listings to test and back this up. :)  

Sure it is dated 20 years or so, but it also serves its purpose. I am pretty certain that whenever they get around to doing their face lift - I am not going to like it.

Edited by KShine

My understanding is Bricklink cater to specific LEGO fans who do not mind going through interface from mid 90s to look for a particular 1x1 tile they want.  If this is the market BrickClassified is trying to attract, then what we have is more than adequate.

In my relatively short time selling on eBay, the typical "overwork dad who promise little Timmy a rare set for his birthday" kind of buyers do not or cannot spare 3 seconds to see pictures and read all detailed descriptions.  First impression is everything.  Again, this is purely anecdotal as honestly I do not want to waste my time and energy creating crappy listings to test and back this up. :)

I will be happy getting a fraction of Bricklink business...

I am trying to attract people who are willing to put a little effort into a listing for very low fees and buyers that appreciate a real photo of an item and is willing to click on the image and read the description.  Basically, a somewhat educated LEGO buyer.  I know there is a faction of sellers that want to gouge the uninformed customers of the world.  I suggest you move on.  This is not eBay or Amazon...

Sure it is dated 20 years or so, but it also serves its purpose. I am pretty certain that whenever they get around to doing their face lift - I am not going to like it.

People won't like it because they will actually have to make an effort and post real photos.  Wow...what a bad idea!

Absolutely agree.  For the most part they are even to lazy to look at your main photo which is aggravating as heck but like you said first impression is everything and it just looks a lot better seeing the uncropped version.  

Haven't had the chance to list anything yet but watch it daily and read this board fully and am excited to start some listings.

I am trying to attract people who are willing to put a little effort into a listing for very low fees and buyers that appreciate a real photo of an item and is willing to click on the image and read the description.  Basically, a somewhat educated LEGO buyer.  I know there is a faction of sellers that want to gouge the uninformed customers of the world.  I suggest you move on.  This is not eBay or Amazon...

All for real photographs as well.  I photograph every single item I list that is feasible and it just eliminates a lot of issues in the long run.  Especially when you are selling some items that have defects but are still worth money etc.  

But at the same time the main photo is what draws people in to begin with.  The full image should definitely get more people to click on the listing and see the large real photos which is great.

With the low fees it will be nice to do some almost "wholesale" bulk set lots that are in demand by BPers that I wouldn't normally do on ebay.  1. Because the fees are higher on there making it less beneficial and 2. I don't want to compete against my individual set sales.    I don't mind taking less for the product as I'll save about $6-7 per $100 sold.  

Sold my first set(s) on BC today! Helms Deep + Uruk Hai army for $245. When I went to PayPal to ship, it wouldn't give me that option for some reason. I had to go to USPS.com. My bricklink transactions allow me to ship directly from PayPal.

Any thoughts?

Otherwise, good experience so far! I just need to take time to list more items. I have not tried to list an item on BC from my phone yet, but I want to try since that's what I do with ebay. Since I take all my pics with my phone, it's quickest to list them using the ebay app.

I can't seem to figure out out to edit a listing. Can anyone help?

Go to My Shop.  One the left bar click Display Products. It open a drop down for "In Stock Products".  Click on it to open the list of your items on the right window.  Click the orange "Edit" button (under Action)

EDIT by *JEFF* Adding Photo 

bp_1421422875__2015-01-16_10-39-10.png

• Like 1

Volume!   I suspect since Bricklink was first on the field it became the definitive standard & it's just they way the older marketeers are accustomed to doing things so it still feels natural to a large percentage of afols.   It's very little effort/time to post an item/lot & it will sell for pretty much the same as if you put much more effort into photos & descriptions & all the additionals.  even ebay has tried the generic database of items to reduce the effort to sellers.   changing the established culture is gonna take time & proof that it's worth the effort.

Bricklink buyers are not usually window shopping - They are searching for a specific set, minifig, or piece (they know what it looks like).

Bricklink sellers are mostly Lego fans and collectors - They are familiar enough with the normal concerns, to usually disclose any relevant info.

If Bricklink was being used by the general public - it would never work. But since it is mostly all AFOL (both buyers and sellers), it works.

Well my order from " Lego Man" arrived the other day to my parents house and today I verified the contents and conditions of the sets, and I'm very pleased to say the least.  As I stated before, the sets where $$$, but we agreed upon a price ( Best deal I found ) and made a deal. The communication was great throughout the whole process. Lego Man was worried about the condition( shelf ware) of the one set, so he emailed me pictures and waited for me to verify it was ok to complete the transaction. I bought these sets to eventually put together with my daughter, so minor shelf ware was ok with me, but being the true Professional he his, He also sent me two little LEGO sets for free. Thank you so much..  

So anyone looking to buy from the site and especially from LEGO MAN, do so without hesitation. I'm new to this site, and I made the plunge to give Brick Classifieds a chance, and I'm glad I did.   

If I should post my feedback somewhere else, please let me know where, or move my post. 

I think we should have a thread dedicated for feed back for buyers and sellers. One for the people to do business with, and another for people to stay away from.. Some other forums I'm member have something along these lines.. Just a thought..   

I don't know know his FORUM name, so if LEGO MAN can please stand up, so we all can :clapping:  :clapping:

• Like 3