BRICK CLASSIFIEDS ***OPEN BETA***

Jeff Mack

I have not signed up yet for an account but I have searched the knowledge base and this thread.

In the unlikely event that I sell something to someone in my state...

How do I charge them tax. Do we send invoices manually for now on the entire order and I add it in or do I send a second invoice with tax and have them pay?

I was thinking since it said you are committing to buy that perhaps we generate the person a PayPal invoice for the order.

Thanks...

Can a PayPal invoice generate the tax for a particular order?  I think it can from my experience as a buyer.  Just asking...

Jeff,

in the knowledge base/general info of brick classified, there is an entry that states: 

Brick Classifeds seems like a great idea, but why will knowledgeable LEGO fans buy from me if my prices are geared towards uninformed buyers? They won

Edited by Dkc

My green tabs are on the left of the screen, and the last one is called "Shipping Profiles" -- I'm on Chrome. Any tips for finding the Your Badges appreciated. ;)

Sorry - it should be the left side. Here's a screenshot of what it looks like in mine:

post-5354-0-99198800-1420646555_thumb.pn

Make sure you have scrolled down completely. Also try zooming out a couple times, and you should be able to see it.

Sorry - it should be the left side. Here's a screenshot of what it looks like in mine:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-01-07 at 10.01.04 AM.png

Make sure you have scrolled down completely. Also try zooming out a couple times, and you should be able to see it.

Until you've tried to add a listing and either saved it or clicked the preview button, you're dashboard ends at Shipping Profiles.

This comes from my experience as of 5 minutes ago... :)

• Like 1

Jeff - I think there may be some fairly serious issues with currency conversion.

Here's my experience in trying to create a listing...

1) Item Condition

It seems many people are using the tag NISB which seems to be slightly more accurate than the NIB option for item condition. NIB implies the box may be open if you consider the NIB (No Minifigures) option. I don't want to use the MISB option since my box is definitely not mint, but it's sealed.

2) Images

During the creation of the listing, I also had successfully uploaded 4 pictures. I tried to upload a 5th which didn't meet the dimension requirements... It was a long narrow shot of the box top. I re-cropped it locally and then uploaded... At some point the picture in position 1 disappeared.

(I really like that i can continue to edit the listing while the pictures upload BTW.. that's a great feature)

3) Currency

I tried to create a listing for my Green Grocer and this was my experience.

• My currency on the main brick classifieds page is currently set to CAN.
  • I created a shipping profile to charge $25 <it doesn't tell me what the currency is for that BTW>
  • I created a new listing for $950 and according to the screen that is in USD.
  • When I preview the listing, it shows the price as $817 <no currency identified> and my shipping to Canada comes up as $21.50 CAN.
    • I also tried not using the shipping profile and setting the shipping price directly within the listing and it shows $21.50 as well.
  • While previewing, I switched the currency to USD and it now shows the price as $950 and then the shipping to Canada as $25 USD.

It appears to be converting in the wrong direction for the listing and applying an unnecessary (or at least unexpected) conversion on the shipping charges.

4) Quantity

I realize this may be a stretch, but if you allowed people to create listings with a quantity as 0, then people could start working on a listing and come back to it later. :)

5) As mentioned above, the options on the left side of my seller dashboard stopped at the Shipping Profiles option until I previewed my very first listing. I had clicked the add listing option before, but never followed through to the preview (or final step of saving it).

6) Offers Details

I'd personally rename this option to Product Offers or Special Offers. It totally confused me until I selected it and explored. In the mean time, Offer should have no 's' and the text "What type of offers you looking?" is worthy of an "All of your base are belong to us" chuckle. Might I suggest "Specify Offer Type" or something along those lines.

7) Shipping

The "With another item" column is somewhat confusing. Is that the price to ship when it's bought with another item? If I buy two items, for example...

- one that ships for $10 or $5 with another item

- second is for $25 or $15 with another item

What is my shipping cost? $30 or $25?

I obviously can't publish the listing until I understand the currency situation, but I'll leave it open on my desktop in case you'd like to dig into it. PS My username in brick classifieds is the same in case you can see something related to the listing on your end.

(Or I can just put a crazy high price on it and save it knowing that someone would have to be crazy to buy it and you can check it out on your end :))

Thanks,

Greg

Until you've tried to add a listing and either saved it or clicked the preview button, you're dashboard ends at Shipping Profiles.

This comes from my experience as of 5 minutes ago... :)

Yes there is no need for badges until you have listings.  Once you have them, they stay regardless if you have items listed or not.

Jeff,

in the knowledge base/general info of brick classified, there is an entry that states: 

Brick Classifeds seems like a great idea, but why will knowledgeable LEGO fans buy from me if my prices are geared towards uninformed buyers? They won

I wrote the FAQs...probably 10 times over with all the different versions we had.  I'll have to take a look.

But on your point, the Brick Classifieds were created to give people a place to list items at a fair price, for a very low fee.  It is not Amazon or eBay.  If you want to charge those prices, then the Brick Classifieds might not work for you.  Bricklink has worked very well, for a long time with a base of LEGO fans that charge fair prices.  We will be cheaper than them, with the same if not better features, given some time to work out some issues.  

All we can promise is that we will work very diligently on current issues and that new features and improvements will be added with time.  When the site is ready to go, we will make a huge push in advertising to let everyone know about it.  But if you are the type of seller to charge double the MSRP for a set currently available at retail, then Amazon or eBay is the place for you unfortunately.  I am not trying to be rude or demeaning, but that is how we view this site.  Cheap commissions...fair prices...

Ed,

I think you misunderstood me.  I'm not the guy who is complaining about the price.  I'm only quoting what I found on the knowledge.  I'm concerned about the word "uninformed" offending our potential buyers and was wondering if you could remove or rephrase the entry.

The site looks great and I appreciate the willingness to improve it.

When I add stuff to my cart it says that the shipping is zero even if the seller is charging for shipping.

Some items that are in my shop, when I put them in my cart, tell me that they don't ship to the USA, although they are set up to ship anywhere in the USA. Any ideas?

When I add stuff to my cart it says that the shipping is zero even if the seller is charging for shipping.

Some items that are in my shop, when I put them in my cart, tell me that they don't ship to the USA, although they are set up to ship anywhere in the USA. Any ideas?

I need examples

Ed,

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not the guy who is complaining about the price. I'm only quoting what I found on the knowledge. I'm concerned about the word "uninformed" offending our potential buyers and was wondering if you could remove or rephrase the entry.

Where is this phrase exactly? I will take a look at it. Like I said, I redid these FAQs and introduction at least 5 times with each variation of the Brick Classifieds. There is some language in there that might have worked better for an earlier version.

I'm not making excuses, but unfortunately time is short and I have to cut corners sometimes and reuse previously written content. Also, it is hard to write content for something that was not complete or is complete. I don't want to offend buyers and I will try to correct the language or remove it altogether. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'm glad somebody read that stuff. ;-)

Where is this phrase exactly? I will take a look at it. Like I said, I redid these FAQs and introduction at least 5 times with each variation of the Brick Classifieds. There is some language in there that might have worked better for an earlier version.

http://support.brickclassifieds.com/knowledgebase/brick-classifeds-seems-like-great-idea-will-knowledgeable-lego-fans-buy-prices-geared-towards-uninformed-buyers-wont-pay-top-dollar-lego-sets/

When I try to order the AA from Mos Eisley Trading it does not show the shipping costs and it indicate that it won't ship to the US. Are other having this issue or is it my setup?

I had this problem when I ordered my first item.  The shopping cart kept telling me the item won't ship to the United States.  Try entering your shipping address again under the Settings tab.  Choose Shipping Addresses and add a second one.  Save and then go back to your shopping cart and choose the second address from the pull-down menu.  This worked for me.  Then I deleted the first address and have not had any further issues.

• Like 1

This is indeed a bug.  Will get it fix as soon as I can.

I am not sure what did it, but it is okay now. I changed by address and then changed it back. It did not automatically fix things when I went to checkout, but then when I clicked off of my address and onto Choose your Shipping Address and then back to my shipping address during checkout everything was then right. Thanks for working out the bugs!

Jeff - I think there may be some fairly serious issues with currency conversion.

Here's my experience in trying to create a listing...

1) Item Condition

It seems many people are using the tag NISB which seems to be slightly more accurate than the NIB option for item condition. NIB implies the box may be open if you consider the NIB (No Minifigures) option. I don't want to use the MISB option since my box is definitely not mint, but it's sealed.

2) Images

During the creation of the listing, I also had successfully uploaded 4 pictures. I tried to upload a 5th which didn't meet the dimension requirements... It was a long narrow shot of the box top. I re-cropped it locally and then uploaded... At some point the picture in position 1 disappeared.

(I really like that i can continue to edit the listing while the pictures upload BTW.. that's a great feature)

3) Currency

I tried to create a listing for my Green Grocer and this was my experience.

• My currency on the main brick classifieds page is currently set to CAN.
  • I created a shipping profile to charge $25 <it doesn't tell me what the currency is for that BTW>
  • I created a new listing for $950 and according to the screen that is in USD.
  • When I preview the listing, it shows the price as $817 <no currency identified> and my shipping to Canada comes up as $21.50 CAN.
    • I also tried not using the shipping profile and setting the shipping price directly within the listing and it shows $21.50 as well.
  • While previewing, I switched the currency to USD and it now shows the price as $950 and then the shipping to Canada as $25 USD.

It appears to be converting in the wrong direction for the listing and applying an unnecessary (or at least unexpected) conversion on the shipping charges.

4) Quantity

I realize this may be a stretch, but if you allowed people to create listings with a quantity as 0, then people could start working on a listing and come back to it later. :)

5) As mentioned above, the options on the left side of my seller dashboard stopped at the Shipping Profiles option until I previewed my very first listing. I had clicked the add listing option before, but never followed through to the preview (or final step of saving it).

6) Offers Details

I'd personally rename this option to Product Offers or Special Offers. It totally confused me until I selected it and explored. In the mean time, Offer should have no 's' and the text "What type of offers you looking?" is worthy of an "All of your base are belong to us" chuckle. Might I suggest "Specify Offer Type" or something along those lines.

7) Shipping

The "With another item" column is somewhat confusing. Is that the price to ship when it's bought with another item? If I buy two items, for example...

- one that ships for $10 or $5 with another item

I obviously can't publish the listing until I understand the currency situation, but I'll leave it open on my desktop in case you'd like to dig into it. PS My username in brick classifieds is the same in case you can see something related to the listing on your end.

(Or I can just put a crazy high price on it and save it knowing that someone would have to be crazy to buy it and you can check it out on your end :))

Thanks,

Greg

Sorry for the delay in response to this one, been at the office all day and just got home.  Not much of a chance to work on things today.

The shop currency issue is know and I haven't finished working on the module.  I have been consumed with dealing with Paypal for the past few days and my job has prevented me from making a ton of progress on other things, but I should have it done in the next day or two.

1. Is your suggestion to "Add NISB"?  We don't have a NISB option, I just want to be clear that is what you are saying for #1

2. I will have to test doing something like this myself to see what happens.  I haven't tried that before.  

3. All the vendor currency is set to USD, this will be rectified soon

4. You have the option of deactivating a listing. Just click the Publish icon and it will active or deactivate the listing.

bp_1420682572__2015-01-07_21-01-01.png

6. I changed the wording

7. - one that ships for $10 or $5 with another item

Shipping would be $30.  It's kind of like the Buy one get the second 50% deals you see at restaurants.  Highest price is full price, lower priced items get reduced.  Here is an example.

bp_1420684727__2015-01-07_21-36-17.png

Sorry for the delay in response to this one, been at the office all day and just got home.  Not much of a chance to work on things today.

The shop currency issue is know and I haven't finished working on the module.  I have been consumed with dealing with Paypal for the past few days and my job has prevented me from making a ton of progress on other things, but I should have it done in the next day or two.

1. Is your suggestion to "Add NISB"?  We don't have a NISB option, I just want to be clear that is what you are saying for #1

2. I will have to test doing something like this myself to see what happens.  I haven't tried that before.  

3. All the vendor currency is set to USD, this will be rectified soon

4. You have the option of deactivating a listing. Just click the Publish icon and it will active or deactivate the listing.

bp_1420682572__2015-01-07_21-01-01.png

6. I changed the wording

7. - one that ships for $10 or $5 with another item

Shipping would be $30.  It's kind of like the Buy one get the second 50% deals you see at restaurants.  Highest price is full price, lower priced items get reduced.  Here is an example.

bp_1420684727__2015-01-07_21-36-17.png

No worries on the response time... I really didn't want to write code today, so I spent more time than usual on Brickpicker. Heck, I'm supposed to be catching up on work right now and here I am. Hahaha.

1) Yes I am suggesting that a NISB entry would be nice to have. I avoid the MISB acronym at all costs.

3) Great... what else to say?

4) That'll do the job just perfectly.

7) Just curious, any plans to add a shipping calculator? I have mixed feelings about it... It's nice since it catches slight variations in the cost to ship across great distances, but in October I started using the eBay's flat rate instead since I hated having to measure and weigh everything only to have it vary by a buck or two. Not worth the hassle.

Thanks

Greg

7) Just curious, any plans to add a shipping calculator? I have mixed feelings about it... It's nice since it catches slight variations in the cost to ship across great distances, but in October I started using the eBay's flat rate instead since I hated having to measure and weigh everything only to have it vary by a buck or two. Not worth the hassle.

Yes it is just about done, still needs more testing, especially with the international lookups / postal codes. Just haven't had the time to sit there and beat on it.

http://support.brickclassifieds.com/knowledgebase/tools-available-help-shipping-costs/

• Like 1

Yes it is just about done, still needs more testing, especially with the international lookups / postal codes. Just haven't had the time to sit there and beat on it.

http://support.brickclassifieds.com/knowledgebase/tools-available-help-shipping-costs/

Awesome.

So I published it... then deactivated it. Now a couple minor ones.

1) The menu on the left says "In Stock Products" whereas the partial view on the right show "On Stock Products."

2) The status is shown as "Publish" and "UnPublish" which to me seem reversed and more of an action rather than status. Published vs Disabled might make more sense (especially since the widget at the top uses those words).