BRICK CLASSIFIEDS ***OPEN BETA***

Jeff Mack

Awesome.

So I published it... then deactivated it. Now a couple minor ones.

1) The menu on the left says "In Stock Products" whereas the partial view on the right show "On Stock Products."

2) The status is shown as "Publish" and "UnPublish" which to me seem reversed and more of an action rather than status. Published vs Disabled might make more sense (especially since the widget at the top uses those words).

Ditto.

I was pushing the green "publish" button, thinking that is what needs to be done to activate the item. But did the opposite, and went to red "unpublished".

Awesome.

So I published it... then deactivated it. Now a couple minor ones.

1) The menu on the left says "In Stock Products" whereas the partial view on the right show "On Stock Products."

2) The status is shown as "Publish" and "UnPublish" which to me seem reversed and more of an action rather than status. Published vs Disabled might make more sense (especially since the widget at the top uses those words).

Fixed.  I made it Active / Not Active

The site looks awesome.

During setup of my store a couple of things to note, nothing significant.

1) Under Seller profile I assume the phone # does not go through to the buyer but is available for Administrators?

2) Under Seller Profile it would be nice to have a 2nd street address but I put it all in the one not a big deal.

3) Under Shop Policies it has the below statement but there is no link to the FAQ.  I wanted to make sure you were aware

Some countries require seller information such as your name, physical address, contact email address and, where applicable, tax identification number. See this FAQ for more information.

Jeff,

in the knowledge base/general info of brick classified, there is an entry that states: 

Brick Classifeds seems like a great idea, but why will knowledgeable LEGO fans buy from me if my prices are geared towards uninformed buyers? They won

• Like 1

I am late to the party but I just created my account, store and posted my first product and moved it to unpublished for now.

Site works very well.

Posted a R2 D2 NIB as my first item for $289.95 (matches eBay buy it now low price).  I have it turned off but I will probably put it up and a couple of Sopwith's at reasonable prices in the next couple of weeks.

I know there is a million things to do to improve it but I just wanted to say I think it looks great and I am excited.

I was leaning to expanding out from eBay to Amazon.  I think I will be changing gears and expand to brick classifieds instead of Amazon.

Appreciate it.

• Like 1

I have reworded it.  Let me know if that works for you.

Brick Classifieds seems like a great idea, but how can it compete with marketplaces like Amazon or eBay? Created: December 31, 2014

• / Author: Jeff Mack

One word

Sorry that the Classifieds were down for a bit, but it was all for good reason.  I am happy to report that the Paypal issues has been fixed and that the Seller Protection information is working and enabled.  There are words I would like to use right now, but it may offend some people on the forum so I will keep it to myself or share with Ed later.  Now lets get on will some sales and transactions.  Next up, finish the vendor currency for those shops not in the US.

bp_1420774114__2015-01-08_22-17-33.png

• Like 7

Sorry that the Classifieds were down for a bit, but it was all for good reason.  I am happy to report that the Paypal issues has been fixed and that the Seller Protection information is working and enabled.  There are words I would like to use right now, but it may offend some people on the forum so I will keep it to myself or share with Ed later.  Now lets get on will some sales and transactions.  Next up, finish the vendor currency for those shops not in the US.

bp_1420774114__2015-01-08_22-17-33.png

Glad it worked out.. Appreciate the time and effort. You guys rock

• Like 1

I saw an item posted on brickclassifieds that I was interested in buying.

1. Click "Add to Cart"
  2. Click on cart
  3. Click "Add new shipping address"
  4. Received error message "You must login"
  5. Abandoned cart

Many online retailers offer a "checkout as guest" feature. I would expect brickclassifieds to offer the same. Having to register an account is a hurdle I don't want to go through to buy some LEGO. If boscovs.com can figure out how to checkout as guest then I'm sure you can too.

Edited by Spanky

• Click "Add to Cart"
  • Click on cart
  • Click "Add new shipping address"
  • Received error message "You must login"
  • Abandoned cart
Many online retailers offer a "checkout as guest" feature. I would expect brickclassifieds to offer the same. Having to register an account is a hurdle I don't want to go through to buy some LEGO. If boscovs.com can figure out how to checkout as guest then I'm sure you can too.

Sorry we can't accommodate you. It's not at the top of the list right now. Registration takes about 10 seconds. I didn't think it was that cumbersome.

• Click "Add to Cart"
  • Click on cart
  • Click "Add new shipping address"
  • Received error message "You must login"
  • Abandoned cart
Registering for the site is a simple fraud prevention measure. Most retailers put you through hoops is some form regardless. In the time you spent writing your post, you could have registered 3 times. Just sayin'.,,

Brick Classifieds seems like a great idea, but how can it compete with marketplaces like Amazon or eBay? 

I hope I don't offend, but I want to echo something I saw posted earlier:  If we want BC to be a success, we need to get items for sale with attractive pricing.  Just browsing the listings, it seems 4 out of 5 items I look at could be bought a lot cheaper on ebay.  Why would I pay that price on an new site with no history, if I could get it for less on ebay?  I've put up a half dozen items or so, and I've tried to be as aggressive as I could with my pricing... maybe even taking a little less profit than I could've gotten on ebay.

Lots of folks have commented on what a great thing the Mack's have done for us with Brickpicker, and how we'd be glad to pay a reasonable subscription fee for this site.  Well, here's your chance... and not just for the Macks, but for yourself.  If we can get some aggressive offers on there and get some buzz going about this site, it could mean good things for all of us.

• Like 2

I hope I don't offend, but I want to echo something I saw posted earlier:  If we want BC to be a success, we need to get items for sale with attractive pricing.  Just browsing the listings, it seems 4 out of 5 items I look at could be bought a lot cheaper on ebay.  Why would I pay that price on an new site with no history, if I could get it for less on ebay?  I've put up a half dozen items or so, and I've tried to be as aggressive as I could with my pricing... maybe even taking a little less profit than I could've gotten on ebay.

Lots of folks have commented on what a great thing the Mack's have done for us with Brickpicker, and how we'd be glad to pay a reasonable subscription fee for this site.  Well, here's your chance... and not just for the Macks, but for yourself.  If we can get some aggressive offers on there and get some buzz going about this site, it could mean good things for all of us.

And those items will sit longer than the items that you mark cheaper.  It's no different than any other site.  I have tried to mark all my sets at a price that is lower than ebay, but not giving it away at the same time.  Now that the kinks are getting worked out, you should see many more listings and more competition to drive some prices down.  There is going to be a feeling out period for a while. 

I've personally already had a few sales, would like to think that it was because my prices were fair, maybe I'm just a good looking guy, who knows?

I've personally already had a few sales, would like to think that it was because my prices were fair, maybe I'm just a good looking guy, who knows?

You hit it right on the head.  I can tell you that we have already had quite a few sales. I am happy about that. Each one of those were because of very good pricing.  There are no fees right now and even when it becomes 2%, that is a nice savings to you that should allow you to price aggressively and make this become the marketplace to look to first.  I have said it before.  I can give you all the tools in the world, but it will be price and service that really makes this place happen.  If people keep their ebay pricing model.  Any new site will fail.  I can tell you that there have been a few times here that I was shaking my head wonder what this person might be thinking, even if it was listed at eBay.  Should you give stuff away, of course not, just price it to sell and make a profit.

The site has been open for less than a week.  Right now we are concentrating on making sure the site works.  Ed and I will continue to work at ways to work with people and price smartly.  

I agree.  Charging double the MSRP for a set that is still available on Amazon will not sell anywhere.

Until this site is fully live to the world it is really all just brickpicker to brickpicker. That is not price discovery or the open market. I looked at ebay, amazon, and chowren to set my prices. This is based on where I think prices will go when it is actually a full blown site. When i buy lego i never go to bricklink. I don't need to check them. I think it is more about reputation than just price. People buy from amazon all day long at much higher prices due to reputation alone. So I will let the market and reputation of the site help determine pricing once it is fully live. Until then it is brickpickers to b. rickpickers which is not a great market to gauge price discovery

I would also say that I intend to list up quite a few items into the store at the prices I would like to sell them at, knowing they will not sell immediately,  that is okay, kinda the point of having a store.  I also plan on some website optimization and search functioning for my store name on the site goes live.  My hope is that over time this site becomes a very strong go to for lego purchases.  Many buyers look for the reputation and functionality not just price.  Amazon has proven this.  On the other hand I find myself buying less and less on ebay due to the risk of the sellers that they let sell on that site.  I like the chowren site.  They have good sets and I would rather buy an expensive retired set from them, rather than ebay or amazon.  Same goes for this site.  Legoman had great shipping, and great packaging.  I will watch his listings and buy from him in the future.  He had what I needed so i pulled the trigger, very little chance he made much money on the listing though.  I would suggest that the site should not drive towards pricing as a main objective.  Everything else about the buyers experience will diminish the importance of price as the primary driver and grow the site over time.  If I wanted to sell all of my stuff right away i would have gone to ebay since the market already exists en masse.   I am glad to be a part of it in the early days.  I remember the early days of ebay and it was much more enjoyable and productive on both sides.

I don't know waddamon.  It sure sounds like you're saying, "I'm happy to get in on the ground floor, and I plan to profit nicely once the site is better known, but I won't be sacrificing 5 cents to help it grow."  But maybe I'm misunderstanding?