10249 - Winter Toy Shop

TheDarkness

Every AFOL down in AFOLoville liked Christmas a lot.
But LEGO who lived just North of AFOLoville did not!

LEGO hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!
Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason.

It could be, perhaps, that their bricks were too white.
It could be WALL-E's head wasn't screwed on just right.

But I think that the most likely reason of all
May have been that the new T1 box was two sizes too small.

But, whatever the reason, his boxes or his bricks
He stood there on Christmas Eve hating the Nic(o)s,

Staring down from his cave with a sour, LEGO frown
At the warm lighted windows below in their town,

For he knew every AFOL down in AFOLville beneath
Was busy now hanging a LEGO brick wreath.

"And they're hanging their stockings," he snarled with a sneer.
"Tomorrow is Christmas! It's practically here!"

Then he growled, with his LEGO minifigures nervously drumming,
"I must find some way to keep Christmas from coming!

• Like 6

This is one of the few exceptions that I wish we would be an united sausage. Boycot this set!

I don't have the original so I realize I'm in a different group than many around here... but I also think the whole thing was overblown. The Technic Racing Truck 42041 was re-released right down to the same piece count but to much less fanfare. I realize different theme, different season, different target audience but still... it wasn't a widely hoarded or desired set so only a few people complained.

How dare LEGO ruin Christmas this year! See above.. :jester:

• Like 4

It was a winner.  Listen people, many of you are here because you are looking for information about investment, reselling, collecting...not LEGO bricks as a simple toy or fun build.  I will tell you that if people go in heavy on this set, there will be ramifications later on. There are dozens of other sets that will be better investments than this one, so put your resources there.  If you want one to build and display, buy one...it's a great set.  

ramifications: (noun) TLG's *new* policy of re-releasing *many* popular exclusive sets from the past; a Lego investor's worst nightmare

• Like 2

It was a winner.  Listen people, many of you are here because you are looking for information about investment, reselling, collecting...not LEGO bricks as a simple toy or fun build.  I will tell you that if people go in heavy on this set, there will be ramifications later on. There are dozens of other sets that will be better investments than this one, so put your resources there.  If you want one to build and display, buy one...it's a great set.  

I don't have one yet, so I'll be getting one for myself. Possibly one more, just because I have a recent affliction that prevents me from only buying one of any set I like.

As Ed might be alluding to above, one of the ramifications of the re-seller community going in hot and heavy is that it could distort the perceived immediate interest in this set and validate LEGO's move to re-release. Easy money is easy money. Why not churn out some of the other retired sets. Creator sets are good candidates because they tend to utilize common pieces.

We could help to bring about our own worst nightmare ;)

• Like 3

Over the last year and half, I've been BL'ing the original Toy Shop.  I just finished up a couple of weeks ago.

I am not even buying one of these.  I want these to rot.

Everyone is entitled to do what they want, but I'm sitting this out because I don't like Lego re-issuing sets (not for investment reasons, and not for play reasons), and I don't want to encourage that by even buying one unit.

• Like 7

I don't post here much, and I do like you trek, but I felt compelled to post on this topic because it really bothers me to see people saying they are investing in a reissue like this.

Reissues hurt the value of the original release and dilute the value of the entire brand.  Doesn't matter if it's a card, a figure, a statue, a Lego set or whatever, encouraging Lego to reissue sets by purchasing them in bulk is detrimental to the collectability of the brand.  Period.  There are a zillion precedents for it.

If you feel compelled to invest in WVTS, then I encourage you to take advantage of the dip in value of 10199 and buy a bunch of those instead.

Edited by JDLego324
  • Like 1