10249 - Winter Toy Shop

TheDarkness

well then there is that point of view

it is a point of view not the point of view

unless we are living in a dictatorship

with bp members over world maybe some of us are. 

It was a winner.  Listen people, many of you are here because you are looking for information about investment, reselling, collecting...not LEGO bricks as a simple toy or fun build.  I will tell you that if people go in heavy on this set, there will be ramifications later on. There are dozens of other sets that will be better investments than this one, so put your resources there.  If you want one to build and display, buy one...it's a great set.  

Anyone who cares about Lego investing beyond the short term should boycott this set, except for one set for building.

Investing in this set is short sighted, selfish, and destructive.

Agreed in theory.  However, if I want to be realistic, by re-releasing this set LEGO has already set the wheels in motion. 

I'm a Flipper and a Hoarder but not touching this set, not even one to build. Plus I'm tapped from going all in on the Olive Garden Pasta Pass ;)

oh somewhere earlier in this thread I said we should do a social media campaign to boycott this set. 
Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 1

Over the last year and half, I've been BL'ing the original Toy Shop.  I just finished up a couple of weeks ago.

I am not even buying one of these.  I want these to rot.

Everyone is entitled to do what they want, but I'm sitting this out because I don't like Lego re-issuing sets (not for investment reasons, and not for play reasons), and I don't want to encourage that by even buying one unit.

But I need one, so I've decided only to buy from a flipper for less than retail, with a coupon, under a blanket and at night.

Is this unlike any other re release though? Haven't there been many versions of the police station or the fire house? Then again, if the voice of opposition is coming from veteran investors, and buying could jeapordize my own investments then I will definitely stay away from this one. I would be curious as well to see the brickpicker effect work in reverse.

Is this unlike any other re release though? Haven't there been many versions of the police station or the fire house? Then again, if the voice of opposition is coming from veteran investors, and buying could jeapordize my own investments then I will definitely stay away from this one. I would be curious as well to see the brickpicker effect work in reverse.

I think people can accept the city stuff as there are changes in the set layouts and content which are slightly more substantial. It´s somewhat of a tradition to redo these sets whereas the Xmas thing is new and people don´t like change.

Also, as Greg mentioned, people (mainly investors) are less sensitive about the kiddies and niche sets.

Don´t forget we are going to get another surprise with Burj Khalifa soon, too.

Exactly... if one fears this, stay away from things that they potentially could remake.  Timeless items that TLG has rights to are ones you should worry about.  I believe sets that they don't have rights to(or expire) are among the ones you shouldn't need to worry at all about.  Especially sets that coincide with movie scenes.

Edited by conceptmachine

Exactly... if one fears this, stay away from things that they potentially could remake.  Things that are in time.  Timeless items that TLG has rights to are ones you should worry about.  I believe sets that they don't have rights to are among the ones you shouldn't need to worry at all about.

So Ciglione and others can sleep soundly tonight knowing TLG won´t remake their cherished Lone Ranger trains?

• Like 1

Exactly... if one fears this, stay away from things that they potentially could remake.  Timeless items that TLG has rights to are ones you should worry about.  I believe sets that they don't have rights to(or expire) are among the ones you shouldn't need to worry at all about.  Especially sets that coincide with movie scenes.

Unless those movies are Star Wars

I don't post here much, and I do like you trek, but I felt compelled to post on this topic because it really bothers me to see people saying they are investing in a reissue like this.

Reissues hurt the value of the original release and dilute the value of the entire brand.  Doesn't matter if it's a card, a figure, a statue, a Lego set or whatever, encouraging Lego to reissue sets by purchasing them in bulk is detrimental to the collectability of the brand.  Period.  There are a zillion precedents for it.

If you feel compelled to invest in WVTS, then I encourage you to take advantage of the dip in value of 10199 and buy a bunch of those instead.

it is all good JDLego324. :)

had no idea the rock I would turn over with my post ....

I never had this set and never invested in it so it may make it more appealing to me

that being said your thoughts are something serious everyone should consider when deciding what to do myself included ....

• Like 1

Unless those movies are Star Wars

Yeah I know, items like mellenium falcon, x wing, tie fighter, star destroyer, those are gonna be remade for sure.  How many times did they make Jabba Palace, or Rancor pit?  

Harry Potter...they made how many different castles?  They are all different and they all bring a decent return, however they only made 1 burrow... will they make it again?  Probably not...it burned down in the movie!

What I'm saying here is that if investors want to not get trapped having 100 sets that get remade, think about what the item is and if it stands a fair chance it could.  If it does, maybe just buy a couple and invest heavier into sets that don't stand much of a chance at being remade.  A good example is the JW theme.  Those will never be made again...why would they?  I haven't bought a one.  They don't do anything for me, but if I was an investor...I'd have a good load of them in my pile.

Edited by conceptmachine

So Ciglione and others can sleep soundly tonight knowing TLG won´t remake their cherished Lone Ranger trains?

No worries... I did not have a good night sleep anymore since I started with this hobby.

Yes but  the Star Wars saga keeps remaking itself too - it´s like a united sausage.

I have promoted you from sausage wannabe to the official united sausage spin doctor.