10249 - Winter Toy Shop

TheDarkness

I'll buy one for my family. While not a boycott, it's pretty darn close consider how deep I've gone on SW. :mda:

Whether Lego is a collectible or not is a moot point. People collect it. As someone who collects, invests, and builds Lego, I don't really want to see the brand dilute itself. Lego is--I hope--smarter than this, but :money:is a foul temptress. The real ramifications of this winter's release won't likely be felt for years in the secondary market. 

It's not just about collectibility and reselling. It could be about LEGO putting a half assed effort in and reissuing sets to save money. As I have said before, for every reissue, there is one less new and fresh set released. First it's one remake. Then two. Then three and so on. People might buy some of these remakes in large numbers, convincing LEGO to continue the process. Before you know it, LEGO will get a reputation of a company that produces inferior and dated products, which will hurt not only them, but all of us.

• Like 7

It's not just about collectibility and reselling. It could be about LEGO putting a half assed effort in and reissuing sets to save money. As I have said before, for every reissue, there is one less new and fresh set released. First it's one remake. Then two. Then three and so on. People might buy some of these remakes in large numbers, convincing LEGO to continue the process. Before you know it, LEGO will get a reputation of a company that produces inferior and dated products, which will hurt not only them, but all of us.

Exactly. We do not only have a responsibility towards ourselves. But also towards Lego Group. We need to keep them sharp and awake. Being the number one toymaker in the world can make a company sloppy and loose focus. 

If indeed we have a big influence on the total lego sales we now have the chance to proof it.

This thinking of reissues I agree with. I will buy one to build along with a free promo. Outside of that forget it. This includes any remakes, like sandcrawler. I won't touch them. This also affirms that Lego is more of a mid term investment, rather than long term due to this risk and time decay. This is also why I don't have any red 5's. No remakes for me, no matter if it is a little better. It undermines the business.

This thinking of reissues I agree with. I will buy one to build along with a free promo. Outside of that forget it. This includes any remakes, like sandcrawler. I won't touch them. This also affirms that Lego is more of a mid term investment, rather than long term due to this risk and time decay. This is also why I don't have any red 5's. No remakes for me, no matter if it is a little better. It undermines the business.

The Sandcrawler was re-released 9 years after the first and was a completely different, way better model. It's really not an apt comparison

• Like 5

I'm basically on board with the boycott situation as well...

Considering the plethora of excellent investment opportunities Lego has provided us, this is one I truly wish all resellers would just forego completely. We all have a breaking point, but I'd rather make 30-50% on anything else than 100% on this. A few hundred bucks more isn't enough to compromise the very, VERY small part I play in trying to uphold some kind of integrity in this business.

• Like 2

I totally agree and support a boycott, but as emazer said, BP can maybe convert a stinker to an apparently successful seller, but I doubt we can convert a success into a stinker. Just look at the EU LEGO inventory...and we are nowhere near Christmas buying frenzy...

P.D.: sorry got confused with Santas Workshop, but still think investors won't make that big of a difference...

Edited by macdroid