10249 - Winter Toy Shop

TheDarkness

LEGO is a toy company, not a collectible company though.  I'm sure they take pride in having a strong collector base and higher secondary market prices on retired sets (to an extent) which speaks to the quality of their product and the value that the fan/collector base sees in their product.  They want that to continue but there are also many new LEGO fans that weren't around 4-5 years ago to buy the first Winter Toy Shop and LEGO is serving those fans here.  I think they know well enough not to continue to re-release all high dollar retired sets but they don't mind stepping on collectors toes from time to time when it comes to their investment values.  They would rather have the money in their pocket than on the secondary market all the time.

Edited by zskid00
  • Like 2

LEGO is a toy company, not a collectible company though.  I'm sure they take pride in having a strong collector base and higher secondary market on retired sets (to an extent) which speaks to the quality of their product and the value that the fan/collector base sees in their product.  They want that to continue but there are also many new LEGO fans that weren't around 4-5 years ago to buy the first Winter Toy Shop and LEGO is serving those fans here.  I think they know well enough not to continue to re-release all high dollar retired sets but they don't mind stepping on collectors toes from time to time when it comes to their investment values.  They would rather have the money in their pocket than on the secondary market all the time.

By this logic it would be OK for sports cards companies to re-release previously issued sports cards. So, if you missed your chance to get an insert card from 2009-2010 Topps Basketball cards, now is your chance because we are re-releasing them!

• Like 1

By this logic it would be OK for sports cards companies to re-release previously issued sports cards. So, if you missed your chance to get an insert card from 2009-2010 Topps Basketball cards, now is your chance because we are re-releasing them!

they do at least on star wars card trader

missed the sold out special edition with red

don't worry we will have blue black teal and more coming up next

Hence, if Ferrari would do this? 

I don't know.  Are baseball cards more collectibles or toys?  I don't think you can compare them to LEGO or apply the same logic.  As an example I will look at Hasbro or Mattel since I am familiar with their products and they are a toy company in which some of their lines are more collector focused.  They have been known to re-release very popular and long out of stock action figures in their Star Wars, Marvel, GI Joe, DC/Batman, and WWE lines from time to time.  They don't do it with every figure but they know there is a lot of demand for these products still so they capitalize on that by reissuing them in new packaging or with a slightly modified paint deco.

I am sensing (and please someone tell me if I am wrong) that a lot of ambivalence to this is due to the fact that TLG is not re-releasing some of the truly prized retired sets. If they were, I think there would be a lot more outrage on this thread/forum and a lot less intellectual arguments about how it isn't all that bad. I am simply arguing that any re-release is bad for many reasons. We can argue about some being worse than others but I think it is all bad.

Edited by Johnny_Lemonhead
  • Like 1

My ambivalence is due to the fact that I have zero 10199 in my inventory, but I do understand the ramifications of LEGO re-releasing a retired set like this.  If it becomes more frequent I will be more concerned about my current portfolio and will have to reconsider my strategy.  Right now most of my sets are sold within 1-3 years of retirement so it isn't as concerning to me as it would be a longer-term investor.

I am sensing (and please someone tell me if I am wrong) that a lot of ambivalence to this is due to the fact that TLG is not re-releasing some of the truly prized retired sets. If they were, I think there would be a lot more outrage on this thread/forum and a lot less intellectual arguments about how it isn't all that bad. I am simply arguing that any re-release is bad for many reasons. We can argue about some being worse than others but I think it is all bad.

The thing is it´s not just the rereleases we have to contend with - there is now mass media coverage/promotion of selling lego for profit and the somwehat overinflated importance/ self consciousness  the brand has taken on in the last years what with the movies and the documentaries.

The upside is that they have SW and a lot of other great licenses/sets in their portfolio and that the AFOL market seems to still be expanding from a niche to the mainstream so it all maintains an equilibrium - for now. In 12 -24 months the picture could be different.

• Like 2

Making a remake of Winter toy shop is a great SHAME for TLG. They lost designers, or WTF is going on ?! There is no reason or good argument for such remake. Toy shop IS NOT a legend (such as UCS falcon), where is a huge demand of AFOLs who miss the original. Winter sets are normal line, where everybody is waiting for new set. To resign for making a new model for 2015 is unacceptable. This is not a city theme, where they can make similar police stations every 2 years, because children are growing up and nobody is buying new station.

If this is a new policy for TLG, that is a death of lego investing. Or we need to sell sets very shortly after EOL, when is uncertainly about a remake.

Making the same toy shop instead of new winter set, and instead of making remakes of Falcon, Carousel, Taj Mahal, etc is out of logic at all.

EPIC FAIL

EPIC FAIL

EPIC FAIL

I just saw that they are re-releasing the Winter Toy Shop set from 2009. It was #10199 and now it is #10249. What is the problem, TLG? is selling a few dollars worth of plastic for $100 (and repeating this millions of times) not presenting you with enough revenue to hire designers to make new sets? Or, is this a direct assault on people who buy and and hold sets to make money when they retire? First it was the Technic Race Truck and now the Winter Toy Shop. This is getting ridiculous. 

There was tons of anger a few days back when folks first saw the new set.

Some of the ambivalence you're encountering is just because folks have already reached that stage of grieving. 

wpid-5_stages_of_grief.jpg

1) Denial - We saw the title of the set back in January.  Nah, they won't do a straight re-hash. They'd never do that.

2) Anger - We saw the product. Lego Nerds gone wild. WTF?!?!?!? Are they serious???? HOW can they do this to MEEE????

3) Bargaining - We sold all our sets at 50% discounts from their 'collectible value' in a race to the bottom

4) Depression - I better sell my whole portfolio. This investing thing is over.

5) Acceptance - Hey you know what? If the US stock market can drop 1000 points in 10 minutes,,,,,i'm probably still fine with my lego-vestments.They won't do this with ALL my sets............right?

6) Rinse & Repeat - If they do this again just revisit step 1.

• Like 9

Better unload Post Offices and Bakeries now before it is too late.

Just because Lego re-issues the Toy Shop does not mean that they will do it with the others.  The Toy Shop will be a big hit with new buyers who were not into Lego six years ago. 

It's funny when Lego tries to do something different like release the Winter Village Market everybody rips it apart for being not as good as the others.  But when the re-issue arguably the most desirable set of the line everyone complains.  They really can't win can they?  Resellers are whiners.

• Like 1

Just because Lego re-issues the Toy Shop does not mean that they will do it with the others.  The Toy Shop will be a big hit with new buyers who were not into Lego six years ago. 

It's funny when Lego tries to do something different like release the Winter Village Market everybody rips it apart for being not as good as the others.  But when the re-issue arguably the most desirable set of the line everyone complains.  They really can't win can they?  Resellers are whiners.

I'm bitching b/c it's one of the few sets every year that I do buy to put together.

The deliberate attempt to create a slightly alternate build (and choosing to call it a "New & Improved version") of the same set, while also choosing to add nothing new to it (which would be so easy to do) that might have interested the buyers of the previous set to also buy the new one, is very concerning.

If they re-release the most stockpiled sets with "New & Improved versions" with printed pieces, etc., what do you think happens to all of the the old & crappy versions?

That's a good point about set improvement with printed pieces. Makes me think the DO modular is ahead of its time. It would be hard to "new and improve" this one.

The thought crossed my mind, could they possibly put out an entirely new holiday set in addition to the toy shop remake?  Possibly lots of bagged smalls?  I just don't believe they would make it that easy.  If not, this must have a lot to do with limited time to design and make a new set, as there are a ton of new sets coming for star wars etc.

Cripes, I just want another modular...  what about a bank?  Has lego made a large modular bank?  They need to

Edited by conceptmachine

This reissue is not good news. That is a given. Just how bad it is won't be known until another set is reissued...if it ever is. But it is keeping everyone guessing...right? Maybe that's the point. Mix it up. Change retirement order. Reissue an old set once in awhile. Or maybe it's just about a lack of ideas for the Winter sets, which is a lame excuse, so there is some other motive I'm sure. Chaos.

This reissue is not good news. That is a given. Just how bad it is won't be known until another set is reissued...if it ever is. But it is keeping everyone guessing...right? Maybe that's the point. Mix it up. Change retirement order. Reissue an old set once in awhile. Or maybe it's just about a lack of ideas for the Winter sets, which is a lame excuse, so there is some other motive I'm sure. Chaos.

Maybe some people bitch and moan no matter what. Lego doesn't give two bits if a few buyers are pissed about the reissue. Not a single one of them won't keep buying Lego to resell or collect because of 10249.

You can bet they're looking at how many 10199 sets were produced and sold vs winter cottages and WVM and SW. It has to be about the money.

• Like 2

Interesting it was showing on SAH this morning with a "coming soon" tag, but now it's gone.  Probably meaningless...

It's still there on the last page next to SW and SOH. I guess the most off-putting bit to me is that it is $10 more than SW for a rehashed product and about the same piece count. 

Edited by biking_tiger