10249 - Winter Toy Shop

TheDarkness

Those are children sets. So if you watch the movies with your kid and he\she wants one then you should only be able to get the oldest release? I always say that iconic OT ships are like the occasional Police\Fire HQ. Perfectly makes sense to rehash them. If there weren't rehashes there would be only obscure expanded universe stuff left for now...

The only recent rehash that affects collectors was the X-Wing. Now Burj Khalfia and Toy Shop is coming. I fear that they are testing the waters with these smaller sets now. Exclusives development needs the best and most experienced designers and lots of their time. If you look at the Hobbit, Super Heroes and some other stuff it might be that beginner\ not so good designers got them because the other ones were tied down. 

Therefore it is not just profits. It might very well be a response to the need of efficient resource allocation. LEGO doesn't like clearance material. 

Wouldn't clearance fodder devalue the product in consumers' minds? 

• Like 1

Is Santa's Workshop coming back this fall?  History says yes.  Anybody disagree?  

If it is coming back, would the smart person sell now and then re-up in a couple months for long term holding?

I am 100% confident we will @ least be able to buy from LEGO Shop at Home.

• Like 1

Is Santa's Workshop coming back this fall?  History says yes.  Anybody disagree?  

If it is coming back, would the smart person sell now and then re-up in a couple months for long term holding?

It should be coming back. Its been lingering on LEGO Shop at Home all year. Will Santa's Workshop be the first to last more than 2 years if the Toy Shop sales is half arse will be interesting to see

Edited by tacsniper
  • Like 1

This thread exploded lol. 

Yes, it is one of the less justifiable re-releases LEGO has done so far, from the point of view of the collector/seller. As many others have said, this was clearly a business decision. However, I still think that this will present some opportunities, at least in the form of quick flipping.

• Like 2

Very disappointed in this!  My daughter and I look forward to building the new Winter Village set each year to add to our collection.  She was excited to see what the new Winter Village set was and when I showed her, she said, "We already have that one.  Why would they make the same one over again?"  Then she said, "I guess we don't need to get that since it's the same."  

If this was at least SOMEWHAT different, it would be OK, but it is basically identical to the previous version.  I agree with her - there's really no need to buy the new one for those of us that have the old one.

If LEGO wants to re-release sets that have retired, I would like a Grand Carousel, Green Grocer, Cafe Corner, Holiday Train and Emerald Night please!

• Like 2

So the Grandmother goes to the Lego store & buys the new holiday set. Brings it home, wraps it up & gives it to the family for Christmas. The daughter says "Ma, you bought this for us 6 years ago." The grandmother says "The woman at the Lego store said it was brand new."

How many variations of this story will there be...?

• Like 3

So the Grandmother goes to the Lego store & buys the new Holiday set. Brings it home, wraps it up & gives it to the family for Christmas. The daughter says "Ma, you bought this for us 6 years ago." The grandmother says "The woman at the Lego store said it was brand new."

It is like when youngsters tell you about a new movie that will hit the cinema soon and it's called "Total Recall". The look on their faces when you say you already saw it 25 years ago.

It must have something to do with lack of inspiration. Like the many movie rehashes we got the last years. I hate it. 

• Like 5

So the Grandmother goes to the Lego store & buys the new Holiday set. Brings it home, wraps it up & gives it to the family for Christmas. The daughter says "Ma, you bought this for us 6 years ago." The grandmother says "The woman at the Lego store said it was brand new."

For every one of these stories there will be hundreds, possibly thousands, of stories where people will be getting this set for the first time, and that is why LEGO is doing it. Given how popular the Winter sets are, the fact that they have only had a 2 year lifespan, and are unavailable the majority of the year, I can see what makes these sets prime candidates for reissue.

I'll be getting one or two, since I missed this set the first time around. I will also be adjusting my plan for the subsequent Winter sets to make sure I clear them before the 6 year anniversary comes around. ;)

• Like 1

I will stack Santa workshop, ignore this other than one to build. I have always said the largest counterparty risk in this gamenis Lego themselves. This is a perfect example. More of this will be coming, in various forms and fashions. Prudent investors had better be paying attention. Aside from one for building I do not touch remakes.

• Like 1

If there's one take away, it's that we *really* cannot tell what's in the Lego executives minds.

This move has actually been getting played out for a while (but never to this extent) - This is clearly Winter Toy Shop 2.0

If anyone still has a stash of the older modular's (Cafe Corner, etc) - it might be a good time to consider selling them.

Edited by KShine

So the Grandmother goes to the Lego store & buys the new holiday set. Brings it home, wraps it up & gives it to the family for Christmas. The daughter says "Ma, you bought this for us 6 years ago." The grandmother says "The woman at the Lego store said it was brand new."

They'll be available for cheap on craigslist then... People dumping them because they already had them.

I have my doubts that it will happen too often though.

If anyone still has a stash of the older modular's (Cafe Corner, etc) - it might be a good time to consider selling them.

And for cheap!! Come on, I'd like to replace the NISB Cafe Corner I sold two years ago!!

This thread exploded lol. 

Yes, it is one of the less justifiable re-releases LEGO has done so far, from the point of view of the collector/seller. As many others have said, this was clearly a business decision. However, I still think that this will present some opportunities, at least in the form of quick flipping.

There we go, someone with a succinct two sentence summary covering all of my points I was going to make. Agree 100%. 

I would say very, very, very, very few. The real response from the family will be "whew, thanks Grandma, we can't find all of the pieces, and the dog chewed a minifigure, and the light brick is burnt out".

• Like 3

This is not even toyshop version 2.0. It is version 1.01.

Couldn't the company at least change the building exterior look? Even the city police station gets significantly different look at each refresh.

We can understand the similarities of SW rehash sets, they are modelled after the movies. But there is no reason for TLG for making an exact copy of WV toyshop. The executive responsible should be demoted for pure greed and laziness. Shall we start an online petition for lego to punish the exec?

• Like 4