10249 - Winter Toy Shop

TheDarkness

This is not even toyshop version 2.0. It is version 1.01.

Couldn't the company at least change the building exterior look? Even the city police station gets significantly different look at each refresh.

We can understand the similarities of SW rehash sets, they are modelled after the movies. But there is no reason for TLG for making an exact copy of WV toyshop. The executive responsible should be demoted for pure greed and laziness. Shall we start an online petition for lego to punish the exec?

Given the margins likely to be earned on a re-release, pretty sure that "exec" is getting a nice bonus, not fired or punished.

It's a business, folks.  The market for a Toy Shop - classic design, on the heels of Santa's Workshop, has to be perceived as very, very large in their eyes.  Coupled with the lower costs of a re-issue....a no-brainer for LEGO.  

Will this development make buyers more hesitant about shelling out large sums for retired sets?

I know that LEGO have stated that this move doesn't mean that future re-releases are on the way, but as a buyer who is always on the lookout for sets that I have missed this has me a bit spooked. 

• Like 1

Will this development make buyers more hesitant about shelling out large sums for retired sets?

I know that LEGO have stated that this move doesn't mean that future re-releases are on the way, but as a buyer who is always on the lookout for sets that I have missed this has me a bit spooked. 

This 100%!

I remember seeing a list of the winter sets floating around somehwhere and thought Gingerbread House was listed as the second bonus giveaway set, Getting old so my memory is not the best anymore.

Here it is:

40138 Christmas Train
40139 Gingerbread House

These are the small bonus sets for spending $99. 

40139 Gingerbread House is a 2014 set.

Given the margins likely to be earned on a re-release, pretty sure that "exec" is getting a nice bonus, not fired or punished.

It's a business, folks.  The market for a Toy Shop - classic design, on the heels of Santa's Workshop, has to be perceived as very, very large in their eyes.  Coupled with the lower costs of a re-issue....a no-brainer for LEGO.  

If it's a no brainer then why not re-release other bigger sets too?  

I love when people tell us what the execs at Lego are thinking.    

Edited by pickleboy
  • Like 1

I display this set on my mantle every xmas. I just put it on CL for $100. If I get a bite I'll upgrade to the new one. 

As far as investing I may sit this one out and concentrate on the 10245. The way things are going I don't want to go in deep on anything. Remakes, new boxes, 5 year runs.... ugh.

• Like 2

I'd be more concerned if I was the seller. Those refund requests will be coming in thick and fast.

I might be wrong, but I don't think this happens as much as one might think. Once a buyer buys a a set it might be too much trouble to return it and get a new one, especially if it was already opened. This applies to eBay more than it does to brick and mortars, I think.

Maybe the positive side is that WVM and the others will see some growth in interest and value. Cause now people are able to get the whole series complete. The most expensive one to my knowledge now comes back available at RRP.

They would expect the rest to come back as well, so they would just wait...

Maybe the positive side is that WVM and the others will see some growth in interest and value. Cause now people are able to get the whole series complete. The most expensive one to my knowledge now comes back available at RRP.

For investors - there is no positive side to this.

By this logic, maybe when they re-release the UCS Falcon - all the UCS's will benefit. Let's not forget all those early Modular's - I can hardly wait.

• Like 3

A re-release hurts profits, but usually the sets are redesigned in some significant way, but this is something different. If this becomes a larger trend, sure we can adapt, but this is another factor that makes the business even more difficult. This may make money in the short term for Lego, but as a long-term strategy I can only see it losing them money since the urgency to buy a set before it retires will not be as great. The high prices of many of the large sets are linked to their value after EOL.

• Like 2

A re-release hurts profits, but usually the sets are redesigned in some significant way, but this is something different. If this becomes a larger trend, sure we can adapt, but this is another factor that makes the business even more difficult. This may make money in the short term for Lego, but as a long-term strategy I can only see it losing them money since the urgency to buy a set before it retires will not be as great. The high prices of many of the large sets are linked to their value after EOL.

Exactly! Very short sited.

A few thoughts as a newer investor:

1. I don't want to over-correct based on this one incident, but I'm thinking of readjusting my long term strategy on non-licensed theme sets. With the obvious exception of Star Wars, I think most licensed sets aren't coming back. And if they do, it's because Hollywood is making a prequel/sequel/rehash years down the line (they always do). In many cases it bodes well for the originals. I think highly sought after licensed sets will be the safer way to go for long-term. Regardless, even with the non-licensed themes, it seems there's still plenty of money to be made with the right strategy. A lot of people aren't patient enough to wait years for a rehash. The Disney Vault Movie setup is a perfect example of this. The lineup for release is regular and set years in advance, yet people are willing to pay triple or quadruple for a movie that's still a few years away. Take advantage of the consumer impatience.

2. Lego seems to be phoning it in with a few sets/lineups lately. Is anyone impressed with the Jurassic World theme as far as design and quality? I'm not. It will be interesting to see if they're just spread too thin with other projects or something else is going on.

3. As someone who was in the dark ages when the original toy shop was released... cool, I want this set. It will sell well this year. And it's just that simple for Lego.