10249 - Winter Toy Shop

TheDarkness

You´re right, clued up people had enough time to move on their 10199´s. Same now with Burj Khalifa.

Since you brought it up, I think Burj Khalifa will be significantly different due to the price hike. Which is much more scary (I think)...

Edited by dcdfan

I am hoping this rehash is not the only Winter set. But I thought the "sweet" rumour was the gingerbread house which has been confirmed to be the small giveaway set?

lego debunked this on their facebook page when someone asked whether there would be a second Winter set this year - they replied "It is our 2015 release for the Winter Village series"

If you do not mind me asking, when did you sell your stack of 10199s?  Just curious, since even though this thing was retired in late 2011, it was still available well into 2012 (this was pre-hoard ).  This is also a seasonal set, so the window to sell it for optimal $ was / is pretty limited. 

Admittedly I'm playing MMQB here. I wasn't in the game back then.

You make a good point that the selling window is limited but that is still three holiday seasons (2012,13,14) to cash in.

I guess I could see someone left with a handful of these if they bought late in 2012. But I still stand by the argument that better investing opportunities exist in 2015 than hoping for accelerated appreciation of a winter set of this size. Just my $0.02.

Admittedly I'm playing MMQB here. I wasn't in the game back then.

You make a good point that the selling window is limited but that is still three holiday seasons (2012,13,14) to cash in.

I guess I could see someone left with a handful of these if they bought late in 2012. But I still stand by the argument that better investing opportunities exist in 2015 than hoping for accelerated appreciation of a winter set of this size. Just my $0.02.

Actually by Christmas 2012, this set was still widely available for $100-$110 shipped on eBay.  Would you still recommend anyone to cash in then ?  Assuming the answer is no, that only left us with 2 holiday seasons in which the price continued to raise.  Lets just say Christmas 2014 was the best time to sell, that would hardly count as "many opportunities to sell" due to seasonal nature of the set.  Plus, as popular as WV line is, why would not anyone want more from the 1st set in the line ?

• Like 3

Actually by Christmas 2012, this set was still widely available for $100-$110 shipped on eBay.  Would you still recommend anyone to cash in then ?  Assuming the answer is no, that only left us with 2 holiday seasons in which the price continued to raise.  Lets just say Christmas 2014 was the best time to sell, that would hardly count as "many opportunities to sell" due to seasonal nature of the set.  Plus, as popular as WV line is, why would not anyone want more from the 1st set in the line ?

agreed.  10199 was appreciating nicely every year until yesterday.

• Like 1

If it's a no brainer then why not re-release other bigger sets too?  
I love when people tell us what the execs at Lego are thinking.    

I do think that they can / will / should re-release some bigger sets too.  Not a lot, but if the aftermarket sales activity shows a legit demand for a product, why let resellers have all of the market?  Not that they could or should re-release all sets - that would not work for many reasons - but a reasoned, measured, approach to a handful of re-releases would help meet customer demand, keep newer collectors engaged and recoup some margin that has leaked into the aftermarket.

Sorry if my presumption of understanding their logic offended you.  I guess you think the comment I was responding to "hey, let's sign a petition to get the exec at LEGO fired for this" was a more realistic take on how the world works.

Edited by thedingman5
Typo
  • Like 1

Don't worry there is an easy way to fix this re-issue nonsense

The QFLL'ers are gonna buy the crap out of this set so its so short supplied that it goes up and over the value of the original

take that LEGO

That seems to be more and more common as of late, doesn't it?  Their proclivity to be constantly out of stock on many noteworthy sets has been giving many flippers ample opportunity to make a quick buck and then restock and then repeat.  

• Like 2

As a fan who missed out I say bring on UCS remakes of the TIE Interceptor, ISD, Y-wing, Vader's TIE, and AT-ST.  Oh, I need an A-wing as well.

I would say there are certain UCS that are certain to see a remake at some point including 10030 and 10179, they are too iconic to not be made again.  Owners of them won't like it, but they will make huge $$ for Lego.  Something like TIE Interceptor, doubtful.

That seems to be more and more common as of late, doesn't it?  Their proclivity to be constantly out of stock on many noteworthy sets has been giving many flippers ample opportunity to make a quick buck and then restock and then repeat.  

That's the 2nd time I've seen the word "proclivity" used on a website forum today, the first time was talking about Ashley Madison. :kiss:

• Like 3

yes it has.  Going back to last year around July / Aug for sure.  Can just play the timing game and have the opportunity to make money.  

Partly with the way stuff is being distributed.  Lots of shortages at varying times with as many products out as they have going.  Seems they print half the sets then other ones run out and then those come back in stock and the others run out.  Been a pattern for awhile.

If you are willing / have the ability to do the work and follow it you can make some cash and then reload at the end for longer term.

• Like 1

I'll be getting this one as I missed it before.  Don't like that they are putting out similar sets though.  What's wrong with easily designing a new one.  With their design software I don't see what would be so difficult with taking an hour or two to make some adjustments ;)

They have builders who are obsessed with innovating by nature - whomever was involved with designing this one was being tortured by restraint.

There is no way that every effort wasn't made to create exactly what we have here - this was by design. The reasons remain unclear.

• Like 4

That's why they don't want it. However since experienced designers are in shortage as it seems they have to make them spend less of their time on exclusives. Hence the rehash.

It's almost like all their top designers were off doing a bigger project,,,,something more important.........hmmmm.

• Like 1

If there's one take away, it's that we *really* cannot tell what's in the Lego executives minds.

Among a sea of confounded conjectures, here is a sane comment. The reality is we honestly do not know nor understand the actual reason(s) as to why LEGO, the company, went through on this modern remix of the very first Winter Village set (if I am not mistaken) although at the time there was no such theme and the "Winter Village" title was dubbed on by the many fans.

We are looking at this release perhaps too simply and personal as collectors/builders effectively clouding one's vision on the larger picture only the high up executives in the company would know. Someone says "they're being lazy", I could say "they're testing the water at a number of levels". In the same manner the evergreen theme of Star Wars is with its own constantly growing cache of redesigns, this redone Toy Shop while essentially 'the same' is technically different. Visually at a glance the differences here are not very noticeable compared to the spaceships of Star Wars where the changes are more apparent but still there all the same and far as branding the item for the marketplace the "new & improved" portions are what counts.

LEGO has previously tried the rerelease method as in "absolutely not one single item has been altered in any way, shape, or form" and that did not pan out well at all because people do not want the same exact thing again despite the claims. We want "the same but different" and this Winter Toy Shop is precisely that. It is a little disappointing the only slot for this year's Winter Village set has been filled by something done before even if it was made better since each of us will now have to wait next year for the true next design in the series but then again we can't act too surprised by this turn of events considering the other repeats LEGO has done during these past few years (small or big). Besides there may very well be a point when LEGO ends up redoing older sets anyway (possibly even the more obscure ones) just because the brand continues onward for years to decades hopefully.

• Like 1

Among a sea of confounded conjectures, here is a sane comment. The reality is we honestly do not know nor understand the actual reason(s) as to why LEGO, the company, went through on this modern remix of the very first Winter Village set (if I am not mistaken) although at the time there was no such theme and the "Winter Village" title was dubbed on by the many fans.

We are looking at this release perhaps too simply and personal as collectors/builders effectively clouding one's vision on the larger picture only the high up executives in the company would know. Someone says "they're being lazy", I could say "they're testing the water at a number of levels". In the same manner the evergreen theme of Star Wars is with its own constantly growing cache of redesigns, this redone Toy Shop while essentially 'the same' is technically different. Visually at a glance the differences are not very noticeable here though compared to the spaceships of Star Wars where the changes are more apparent but still there all the same and far as branding the item for the marketplace the "new & improved" portions are what counts.

LEGO has previously tried the rerelease method as in "absolutely not one single item has been altered in any way, shape, or form" and that did not pan out well at all because people do not want the same exact thing again despite the claims. We want "the same but different" and this Winter Toy Shop is precisely that. It is a little disappointing the only slot for this year's Winter Village set has been filled by something done before even if it was made better since each of us will now have to wait next year for the true next design in the series but then again we can't act too surprised by this turn of events considering the other repeats LEGO has done during these past few years (small or big). Besides there may very well be a point when LEGO ends up redoing older sets anyway (possibly even the more obscure ones) just because the brand continues onward for years to decades hopefully.

So you're saying it's really not about me? :notme:

So you're saying it's really not about me?

Or me on the matter. I will say for a redesigned set, I would have liked to see more actually redone then again perhaps it says something good on the original being made so well in the first place that the base design really did not need much added or tweaked to make it better after all. The primary focus of improvements appears to be the minifigures and printed elements and that may be just enough to hook consumers.

Looking at the CAGR for 10199, it has performed the weakest in Europe. Eu is at 15% and the UK at 20% which is not too bad. The current UK price is approx triple the original of £45. I wonder how much the old will drop when the new one is released, will the differences ensure it stays above £90 or double RRP. 

The most concerning thing for me is the price of the new set. £60 does not look too bad until you look at the £45 price point of 10199. Why is the new set a third higher?  Inflation has been very low in the UK since 2009 and is currently zero. I cannot see a real reason for the inflated price. £50 would have been ok, maybe even £55.

So yes buy this set, but don't pay RRP, only buy when there is something like double points and/or a free mini set that can be sold to offset the price.