10249 - Winter Toy Shop

TheDarkness

It happens to all of us. That's why we read the emailed posts too...

Having posts hidden or edited by hypocrit mods? Not sure that's what you meant, but yes part of being a mod is to encourage people to post in a civil and respectful way. It's not just about cleaning up double posts and moving posts to appropriate threads.

> When posts contain offensive language, they will be removed or edited.
> When posts themselves are offensive or inappropriate, they will be removed or edited.

But believe it or not, we're human just like you guys (yes even stephen_rockefeller is human) and make mistakes or overlook something. However, when a member flies off the handle for being asked to stop discussion on a particular subject or takes offense and publicly attacks people they're taking it a step too far.

If people don't like to have their posts edited, they could just stop swearing and yelling with their keyboard.

<this isn't directed at you ... it's just a general statement that seems to need to be made every so often about just being respectful.>

ON TOPIC

I've had some time to digest this and I really don't see what the big deal is... I mean this honestly and no offense to those who enjoy buying the new winter set each year. I know LEGO is about the "cool sets" and we love them too, but LEGO is also about BUILDING from the parts you have. I think we should have a contest.... Maybe I'll put up a Santa's Workshop for a prize - build a better winter set that would retail for the same price as 10249!!

• Like 2

Guest AnnexBrett

I have mixed feelings about this decision from TLG. Luckily I only have 1 left.  Almost I can say I am bit upset too but for sure not as upset as a buyer who got one of my 10199 a month ago for $400 CAD. Oh well...

I've had some time to digest this and I really don't see what the big deal is... I mean this honestly and no offense to those who enjoy buying the new winter set each year. I know LEGO is about the "cool sets" and we love them too, but LEGO is also about BUILDING from the parts you have. I think we should have a contest.... Maybe I'll put up a Santa's Workshop for a prize - build a better winter set that would retail for the same price as 10249!!

Very kewl idea.......... Im game! 

I was just thinking about this and all the buildings they could have submitted as the next winter village addition......

- Clock makers workshop

- Clock tower

- Rail station ( We have the emerald express that runs around our village under the tree every year )

- town hall/meeting house (could incorporate the clock tower here)

- Different style house...... Chalet

- School house

- Theater or amphitheater for choir......could include park features - trees, benches, stands etc.

- Ginger bread house..... not original but still better

Re hashing the same set may make sense financially for LEGO and even please some people that didnt get it the first go around, but those instructions are online and they could always build it. It would avoid having the collectors that shelled out $$$$ for an original to now have a lump of coal in their stocking this year.

• Like 1

Very kewl idea.......... Im game! 

I was just thinking about this and all the buildings they could have submitted as the next winter village addition......

- Clock makers workshop

- Clock tower

- Rail station ( We have the emerald express that runs around our village under the tree every year )

- town hall/meeting house (could incorporate the clock tower here)

- Different style house...... Chalet

- School house

- Theater or amphitheater for choir......could include park features - trees, benches, stands etc.

- Ginger bread house..... not original but still better

Re hashing the same set may make sense financially for LEGO and even please some people that didnt get it the first go around, but those instructions are online and they could always build it. It would avoid having the collectors that shelled out $$$$ for an original to now have a lump of coal in their stocking this year.

I've got some spare time next week to think about it, but I'm not kidding. I might just do it.... we'll see.

I'll consider put up my only extra Santa's Workshop as a prize and one of the last "bonus" sets I have as a runner up prize (I have the Xmas tree truck from 2014 and the ice rink from 2014).

• Like 1

Those of you that sold 10199's recently better be watching for returns.  As disappointed as I am, I will buy 2 at the very least.  I will want one to build eventually and one to hold onto just in case, but don't see myself stocking up on them.  Maybe we should have a "what Lego set do you want to see rehashed" thread if we don't already.  I know the ones I would like to see and are probably similar to others' list but it all depends on when we came out of dark ages and how old we are.

• Like 4

Those of you that sold 10199's recently better be watching for returns.  As disappointed as I am, I will buy 2 at the very least.  I will want one to build eventually and one to hold onto just in case, but don't see myself stocking up on them.  Maybe we should have a "what Lego set do you want to see rehashed" thread if we don't already.  I know the ones I would like to see and are probably similar to others' list but it all depends on when we came out of dark ages and how old we are.

Sure... what purpose would this thread have? Lego reading it and even let these wishes come true? That will be the end. 

Dunno about you. But I really would not know what to do with my time without lego investing and resellling. I would feel worse than I felt when I finished watching all 6 seasons of the Soprano's.

Maybe the only upside would be I would sleep more.

Sure... what purpose would this thread have? Lego reading it and even let these wishes come true? That will be the end. 

Dunno about you. But I really would not know what to do with my time without lego investing and resellling. I would feel worse than I felt when I finished watching all 6 seasons of the Soprano's.

Maybe the only upside would be I would sleep more.

You would actually have lunch instead of looking for sets at little shops! :D

• Like 1

10179, Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Grand Carousel, UCS SD, CC, UCS X-Wing (oh wait)....

• Like 1

Rather than blame the designers, i think the fault lies squarely with the business executives of TLG. There is no shortage of new ideas for WV. Even if the designers are doing a new toy shop, it is so easy to have a different building structure. 

The biz suit in charge of WV probably wants to maximise profits and the easiest way is to rehash; no need to incur cost in new design.

That said, other product lines in lego has also been rehashed in varying degrees, SW and city being the number 1 and 2 culprit. The teams doing these rehashed have been well rewarded in the past because the consumers continued to lap it up. On the other hand, innovative themes like chima and ninjago are sometimes overlooked by AFOL.

So what TLG does is merely a reaction to profit margin consideration. If the consumers boycott rehashed themes like OT SW sets, then it will push the company to devote more resources to innovate rather than to rehash.

Another way fans should do is to shift some focus away from rehashed sets to innovative sets like ninjago, chima and elves. Brickpicker should take the lead.

• Like 2

If the consumers boycott rehashed themes like OT SW sets,

Those are children sets. So if you watch the movies with your kid and he\she wants one then you should only be able to get the oldest release? I always say that iconic OT ships are like the occasional Police\Fire HQ. Perfectly makes sense to rehash them. If there weren't rehashes there would be only obscure expanded universe stuff left for now...

The only recent rehash that affects collectors was the X-Wing. Now Burj Khalfia and Toy Shop is coming. I fear that they are testing the waters with these smaller sets now. Exclusives development needs the best and most experienced designers and lots of their time. If you look at the Hobbit, Super Heroes and some other stuff it might be that beginner\ not so good designers got them because the other ones were tied down. 

Therefore it is not just profits. It might very well be a response to the need of efficient resource allocation. LEGO doesn't like clearance material. 

• Like 1

Maybe a lot of people missed out on this set and focus groups told Lego the set they want most as an end user is a Toy Shop.

Maybe Lego is a multi billion dollar company and they are focused on profits and pleasing the masses not the investors.

Maybe Lego did this without the reseller in mind at all.  

Maybe we are but a nat on their wind shield.

Maybe Lego resellers think too much of themselves and their place in the Lego universe.

Maybe if I saw what happened to Santa's workshop and the absolute success it was and if we worked at Lego coupled with focus groups and surveys we would think re releasing the toy shop would be a profit home run.

Maybe not long ago some people questioned if the Santa Workshop was the end of the Winter Village line or maybe as some said it was not even part of the winter village line

Maybe in some resellers minds it is ok to end the series but not ok to re release a set with mass appeal for children and families everywhere

Maybe just maybe it is not about us.

For me it reinforces that the decisions Lego makes are about them and their customer not about us.

I love the new set

Bring it on to flip, to hold, to invest, and most especially to have fun building

• Like 8

Those are children sets. So if you watch the movies with your kid and he\she wants one then you should only be able to get the oldest release? I always say that iconic OT ships are like the occasional Police\Fire HQ. Perfectly makes sense to rehash them. If there weren't rehashes there would be only obscure expanded universe stuff left for now...

The only recent rehash that affects collectors was the X-Wing. Now Burj Khalfia and Toy Shop is coming. I fear that they are testing the waters with these smaller sets now. Exclusives development needs the best and most experienced designers and lots of their time. If you look at the Hobbit, Super Heroes and some other stuff it might be that beginner\ not so good designers got them because the other ones were tied down. 

Therefore it is not just profits. It might very well be a response to the need of efficient resource allocation. LEGO doesn't like clearance material. 

Yeah... like in politics. They put up a testing-balloon and see how the public reacts. If the reactions are mild they give it a go ahead. Seems like they finally hired those chinese counterfeiters to do the grunch work.

Edited by Ciglione