10249 - Winter Toy Shop

TheDarkness

The most concerning thing for me is the price of the new set. £60 does not look too bad until you look at the £45 price point of 10199. Why is the new set a third higher?  Inflation has been very low in the UK since 2009 and is currently zero. I cannot see a real reason for the inflated price. £50 would have been ok, maybe even £55.

So yes buy this set, but don't pay RRP, only buy when there is something like double points and/or a free mini set that can be sold to offset the price. 

The cost of everything has gone in the last 4 years. Cost of materials, labour, logistics and more. Their piece count and price probably need to be inline with the current products as well... not a product that is 4 years old. And ultimately, they need to make a huge profit ;)

The cost of everything has gone in the last 4 years. Cost of materials, labour, logistics and more. Their piece count and price probably need to be inline with the current products as well... not a product that is 4 years old. And ultimately, they need to make a huge profit ;)

I agree, costs have risen, but not by 30+ % So they will be making larger profits on this set :) I believe the term is Raking it in. At least, a printable term  :P

10199 RRP prices

USA: $ 59.99
GBR: £ 44.99
DEU: € 59.99

10249 RRP prices

USA: $79.99
GBR: £59.99
DEU: €69.99

So, the UK and US are up 33% but the EU is only up 16% according to brickset preview http://brickset.com/article/16286/winter-village-toy-shop-to-make-a-comeback
So advice for UK buyers, if this set is available from Amazon, buy it from the EU sites :)

There has been a big fall in Lego core costs.   2011 oil was running ~$100 a barrel, we're looking at $50-$60 now. 

It’ll be a decade before we see $100 a barrel again, arguably 2010-2012 was the most expensive time to have a business with Oil and Oil derivatives as the core component.

We have ZIRP/NIRP, low wage growth and inflation sub 2%, however you look at it, it’s a hike in price for the same/very similar set.  But the maximum the market will bear is the mantra of the day.  

I agree, costs have risen, but not by 30+ % So they will be making larger profits on this set :) I believe the term is Raking it in. At least, a printable term  :P

10199 RRP prices

USA: $ 59.99
GBR: £ 44.99
DEU: € 59.99

10249 RRP prices

USA: $79.99
GBR: £59.99
DEU: €69.99

So, the UK and US are up 33% but the EU is only up 16% according to brickset preview http://brickset.com/article/16286/winter-village-toy-shop-to-make-a-comeback
So advice for UK buyers, if this set is available from Amazon, buy it from the EU sites :)

I would imagine the price is set based on some starting currency and then translated into other currencies according to current exchange rates (when they set the prices). The Canadian price is only up 25% compared (79.99 to 99.99) to the 33% increase for the US so this is a small win for us. The current exchange rate is around 30% so this is one that will be cheaper to buy here for us!

• Like 1

Much more going on than that.  I’ve done quite a lot of analysis on pricing to look for discrepancies, opportunities and also to try and identify trends in discounting for the UK.  I.e. the max we're likely to see.  Generally the higher the price the better the ratio for UK – tending towards higher discounts at the lower levels, bringing the ratio much closer to the higher priced items.  There is a very definite marketing strategy with pricing, discounting and lifespan around the non-exclusives.  

2015 SW         GBP    USD    Ratio

75090    Jan-15    19.99    19.99    1.00
75080    Jan-15    24.99    24.99    1.00
75081    Jan-15    24.99    24.99    1.00
75091    Jun-15    34.99    29.99    1.17
75082    Jan-15    39.99    39.99    1.00
75086    Jan-15    39.99    39.99    1.00
75087    Jan-15    39.99    39.99    1.00
75083    Jan-15    49.99    49.99    1.00
75092    Jun-15    54.99    49.99    1.10
75084    Jan-15    59.99    69.99    0.86
75093    Jun-15    69.99    79.99    0.87
75094    Jun-15    79.99    99.99    0.80
75060    Jan-15    169.99    199.99    0.85

This reissue doesn't concern me.  It has been done before.  If another set is reissued within a short time frame, then we might have an issue.

The deliberate attempt to create a slightly alternate build (and choosing to call it a "New & Improved version") of the same set, while also choosing to add nothing new to it (which would be so easy to do) that might have interested the buyers of the previous set to also buy the new one, is very concerning.

If they re-release the most stockpiled sets with "New & Improved versions" with printed pieces, etc., what do you think happens to all of the the old & crappy versions?

• Like 1

Everybody who is so concerned already about this ONE reissue of a rather unimportant set, that he cannot sleep at night anymore should just quit investing. This might be the best solution for him and especially for all other investors. Less competition = good. Otherwise one could just wait and see what happens next (IF something happens next at all). As of now there has not been an announcement nor a rumour of a possible reissue of any "grail" set. IF a reissue of a major investment object should happen some time, then you will see even better why it is important to diversify. Since Lego cannot reissue every set you invested in at one time, you will always have a certain amount of time to sell - and in the end you'll still have a low risk of losing any money anytime overall.

• Like 2

I'm not overly concerned as I sold all my old versions last year. I don't think this will be a hot xmas flip this year so I will probably wait until next xmas season to start buying these. Will just double down on SW instead this year.

I just saw that they are re-releasing the Winter Toy Shop set from 2009. It was #10199 and now it is #10249. What is the problem, TLG? is selling a few dollars worth of plastic for $100 (and repeating this millions of times) not presenting you with enough revenue to hire designers to make new sets? Or, is this a direct assault on people who buy and and hold sets to make money when they retire? First it was the Technic Race Truck and now the Winter Toy Shop. This is getting ridiculous. 

Edited by Johnny_Lemonhead

Not really ridiculous not even worrisome

When a company is know for retiring sets (and that track record is responsible for a lot of the inherent value of the product) and then they start un-retiring them, that is a big problem and is worrisome. I am surprised that a member of this site could not see that.

A question for those people on this thread supporting the re-issues: are there ANY sets that you would oppose re-releasing? Because if there are, all of your points have been rendered moot.

The 6285 Black Seas Barracuda was re-released as the 10040 over a decade later, so it has happened before.  Obviously, LEGO has its reasons to reissue this set in particular.  Maybe it's an experiment to gauge customer interest in a retired set.  Maybe they ran out of ideas.  

The 6285 Black Seas Barracuda was re-released as the 10040 over a decade later, so it has happened before.  Obviously, LEGO has its reasons to reissue this set in particular.  Maybe it's an experiment to gauge customer interest in a retired set.  Maybe they ran out of ideas.  

Anyone opposed to the Taj Mahal, Statue of Liberty or UCS Falcon being re-released?

When a company is know for retiring sets (and that track record is responsible for a lot of the inherent value of the product) and then they start un-retiring them, that is a big problem and is worrisome. I am surprised that a member of this site could not see that.

A question for those people on this thread supporting the re-issues: are there ANY sets that you would oppose re-releasing? Because if there are, all of your points have been rendered moot.

You seem to believe TLG cares about your bottom line...

You seem to believe TLG cares about your bottom line...

It's not just investors. it's also end-users and collectors who have bought these sets hoping that they would be collectible. these are people who have no intention of making short term profits and are not in business to resell Legos. The sports card market is a similar example. The scarcity is what makes collecting valuable to many people (who are not in business to resell cards). 

If every Lego buyer knew that the set they wanted could be re-released someday it would also make them not terribly concerned about missing out on the chance to buy it. So this would result in less sales also. Why rush out to the store to grab a set that is about to retire when it will be re-released in a few years anyway?

• Like 1