10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

Some people say we'll never see another $1000 set. The problem is Lego keeps releasing new sets. If I were 4 years later to the sport, what would be more enticing to me: SOH on sale for three hundred flat, or TB on ebay for $650 + shipping?

The biggest threat to investment right now is new products, and it's only gonna get worse. You must diversify, because the thinner the spread, the thinner the growth on each set. Anyway looking at 20 HHs in a bare room would be boring.

Some people say we'll never see another $1000 set. The problem is Lego keeps releasing new sets. If I were 4 years later to the sport, what would be more enticing to me: SOH on sale for three hundred flat, or TB on ebay for $650 + shipping?

The biggest threat to investment right now is new products, and it's only gonna get worse. You must diversify, because the thinner the spread, the thinner the growth on each set. Anyway looking at 20 HHs in a bare room would be boring.

I see what your saying, but why do people still pay 1,000+ for a sealed Cafe Corner, when there are plenty of new modulars that look as cool if not better?

Just some food for thought

I see what your saying, but why do people still pay 1,000+ for a sealed Cafe Corner, when there are plenty of new modulars that look as cool if not better?

Just some food for thought

Yeah I don't think the release of new sets has very much effect. Re-releases do and how many people are buying.

Sets may not make it back up that high - but I don't think it will be because of all the new sets. Despite all the new star wars sets, I have bought about 25 retired Star Wars sets over the past 2-3 months.

To be completely honest, I think R2-D2 will do better than the Hainted House once EOL Comes along. It's an amazing model, takes loads of patience and skill to build, and is hefty as heck. It feels substantial when you hold it, and the moving parts/ways it works are ingenious. It was the first LEGO set I built after coming out of my Dark Ages. It took me four and a half days sitting in my dorm room to build it and I loved every second of it. Yes, the Haunted House is spectacular, but R2-D2 just blows it out of the water and is one of the greatest UCS sets ever made IMO.

I diversify completely. If I didn't, I would just have 20 Haunted Houses.

Of the sets you mention - I have all of them so I think they are all good investments. Would I pick certain ones over others?

Well, a lot depends on when we think something will go EOL. Right now R2D2 and the Haunted House have not been discounted at all. I think Haunted House has a better chance of sticking around longer. If it did, R2D2 becomes my dark horse - it has seen no discounts. The cheapest way to get one is to buy one from the drop-ship scammers on Ebay.

As far as the Tower Bridge/VW bus combo: Tower Bridge will be much higher price in several years - but the VW camper could grow a little faster in the beginning with the cheaper price. So that one might be a less long jold even though I don't think it will ever reach 400-500$ where as I think the Tower Bridge will be close to a grand in 5 years.

In all honesty, the R2-D2 was discounted heavily last Fall and was $139.95 for several weeks.  I picked up 2.  In hind sight, I probably should have picked up a bunch of them, but I was just getting in to this buying foray and I was actually buying as a collector then.

I think R2-D2 is more of a guaranteed win than the Haunted House.  Everyone is speculating the Haunted House will do well, but nobody really knows for sure.  R2-D2 will be a big winner, no questions asked.

Guest TabbyBoy

Due to the massive amount of StarWars followers and R2D2 being the most loved character, I reckon it's been made in huge numbers to keep up with demand which will affect it's future value.  This is why I've only bought one R2D2 during double-VIP promotion which I will likely build.  However, I've got 3 Haunted Houses and will buy a lot more as soon as I see them discounted.  As for TB and VW, I have 12 bridges and 22 campers.  Due to the cat being well and truly out of the bag now, who knows what these sets will be worth in the future?

I am waiting for Sept to pick up 1 R2D2 for the promo's...going to Lego Store to ensure it's a mint box.  Even if it doesn't retire this year I'd like to have ONE for my collection and possibly sell in the future if it takes off down the road.  In Oct if there's 2x's vip pts I would buy another as back up. 

As for HH, can't wait for it to retire and get some funds back haha.  In my inventory I have the most cash tied up in that one specific set. 

Another point to bring up is the Beetle goes for 350-400 sealed, and that is an older release when there were substantially less investors. Now that people know about the potential of the VW cars, a LOT more are jumping on the bandwagon, especially at the $120 price tag. I reckon the VW will top off at 300 in a few years, which is nothing to complain about. I just feel the tower bridge will do better.

We could easily counter argue that the same logic applies to the tower bridge when you consider that people are jumping on the TB bandwagon due to success of the Eifel Tower and Taj Mahal.

This is a clear case where I would recommend to diversify. Plus a lot of folks on here are talking about hoarding the TB. It will take a lot I demand to turn it into a $1000 set.

From a % return I like the VW camper better than TB.

It will be hindsight 20/20 like it always is, after the fact. Those who purchased 20 R2's will wish they bought HH's or vice versa. I came out of my Dark Ages as POTC was on it's way out, but I wasn't a fan of the films and undercut the potential of the two ships; also I wasn't even thinking about investing at the time. Ask me then and I would have told you to buy a Fire Brigade instead of a QAR. Now the FB is still on the market, the QAR is gone and jumped in value, and my kid wants one. Go figure.

Does anybody know when will go EOL?

Does anyone miss this question? 

Don't kill me, I'm joking

However, I think taht R2-D2 has a wider numer of potential buyer in thhe future

HH is very cool

I a very hard competition

In september I'm gonna buy one of each

Does anybody know when will go EOL?

Does anyone miss this question? 

Don't kill me, I'm joking

However, I think taht R2-D2 has a wider numer of potential buyer in thhe future

HH is very cool

I a very hard competition

In september I'm gonna buy one of each

R2-D2 has been on the market for about 1.25 years, while the HH has been on the market for about almost 1 year. If these sets follow the trend that they retire after about two years, I would say that R2-D2 would EOL first, and then the HH.

So I see most of you guys agree on having and getting.

1-Tower Bridge

2-haunted house

3-10225 Droid

4-Volkswagen camper, but don't forget the Batman Arkham, Now a good idea is to wait a few more weeks til sept and get a couple more Volkswagen campers and get the free Mini with it, would be a great Combo Ebay sell.And in October get some of the exclusives with the double VIP Points. now don't wait to the last minute to load up on the sets above as big bucks will be made on these sets in 3-5 years, even if you buy 1 or 2 a month. So don't miss out on the thousands you can make, now thats if you have a decent amount of these, not just 1 of each.I am going all out on buying these exclusives with a few other ones. Like i said I would like to be done with all this buying and selling in 5-6 years, So I should have enough money from these sets and a few others to be living on Wall Street. One thing I don't look at is Lego price Guides. My theory is when you are ready to sell check e-bay current auctions, "But the main thing is check Sold items to see what the set was selling for in the last 30 days." Ed

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

When I initially saw it it only said 1 left. Likely just a small time third party selling.

I think it's fair to say that most brickpickers are pretty bullish on the haunted house. Most expect it to do well once it is retired, but just how well if everyone is buying the hh? Has any other set that has eold and been this hyped shown good returns?

Pretty much every other set discussed on this site.  Bada Bing  Bazinga   :laugh:

We are all always right! :)

I just don't know how it would be a dud. it wont be redone, it is wildly popular, and it is incredible. In person it is  so detailed and impressive.

Also, anakinsvader, are those Kiss Legos or Kinects in your picture? I have a Kiss Kinects set. But if there is more, they need to be in my possession. I love kiss.