10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

Go to Entertainment Earth Now and get 2 Vampire Castle's for $75 each, and if I didn't have any VC I would just worry about getting all you can now, worry about the haunted House in the Fall."And if the haunted House was $150 you would buy lots of them,Here is whats going to happen when they are retired and say selling for $300 and up people will be saying man I would buy lots of them for $225 if I could find them at that price.

• Like 1

Just to second what Emazers was saying. Yes we may have 100 of each of the big sets on ebay at one time. But look at the freaking size of the emerging markets for Lego. Just think, if one tenth of the population of China and India in the next ten years start to have more disposable income (which they already do) they will start buying Lego like crazy... Imagine what will happen to some of these sets then. It's a waiting game, but its a good game. 

• 1 month later...
Guest ph4tb0i

It's absolutely terrible. Halloween monsters frighten the kids and there's a reason it's been sitting on the shelf forever at Lego stores. definitely a pass. 

/s

Its a great one in my opinion. Check Ebay. They don't sell for less than $175. Can't imagine once this set is gone it wont hit $300 or more.

I think ph4tboi is being sarcastic. That /s means "sarcasm". You're dead right though, HH should be a flat out winner.

Guest ph4tb0i

How much are people anticipating this set to be over time?

Like any other type of investments in the world it's really hard to say. The consensus says that this should double its money pretty easy but it becomes discontinued, so you're probably looking at $340 - $400 in one to two year's time. Here's a quick analysis of it (and yes, I was joking before :P):

Pros: 

• Huge 2000+ piece set (if this retires I don't believe another set out there will provide as many sand green pieces as this and green grocer did. I could be wrong here).
  • Has a quasi modular feel to it, so modular buildings will like it.
  • Halloween theme lovers will like it.
  • Expected short production run (i.e. out for only a year-ish)

Cons:

• Seasonal item (e.***. will do better during Halloween than other seasons)
  • Expensive set, so hard to get a lot of multiples (e.***. if your're on a small budget, you can buy 18 Helm's Deeps for 10 Haunted Houses).
  • Hard to ship as it's a big set (though this should not be a problem if the value skyrockets).

Hope that helps! :)

Guest TabbyBoy

I had a couple few quid left over from last month's Lego budget and my gut told be to buy the Haunted House rather than the Fire Brigade.  I have a good feeling about this one and will buy more if the next double VIP points promotion arrives in time.  For items like this, I buy from Lego to ensure a mint box esp. if an exlusive "freebie" is offered.

I bought my first HH during double VIP points and am waiting for that promo again or a good coupon to grab another couple. The MF theme is going away but rumor has it we will have a bit more time for this set in particular.

I bought my first HH during double VIP points and am waiting for that promo again or a good coupon to grab another couple. The MF theme is going away but rumor has it we will have a bit more time for this set in particular.

Hey Josh, try to pickup a few more when it goes on sale again. Like many, my gut tells me this wacky weird set is gonna be a winner when it retires. Everyone who built it seems to like it. I'm betting it will be widely available again online starting in Sept for Halloween. It should be on sale again then...somewhere.

First one was an Amazon deal, second was asking about the set going EOL, but neither specifically asked about future value. They just ended up going that way. I went and merged it with an older topic that directly posed the question about possible future worth. Wouldn't want anyones head to blow up now. :wacko:

Guest ph4tb0i

It's not even just the fact that this modular looks cool, it's the fact that it's the only set with a huge amount of sandgreen bricks that isn't the Green Grocer at the moment. Even if it epicly flops (which I doubt it will), you're still looking at great sales by parting the whole thing out onto Bricklink. 

It's not even just the fact that this modular looks cool, it's the fact that it's the only set with a huge amount of sandgreen bricks that isn't the Green Grocer at the moment. Even if it epicly flops (which I doubt it will), you're still looking at great sales by parting the whole thing out onto Bricklink. 

Even if Lego were to release a couple of Creator houses with those sandgreen bricks, people will be always drawn to the Haunted House for so many reasons. A build that is basically The Munsters or Addams Family house in Lego, how could it possibly lose?

Even if Lego were to release a couple of Creator houses with those sandgreen bricks, people will be always drawn to the Haunted House for so many reasons. A build that is basically The Munsters or Addams Family house in Lego, how could it possibly lose?

Plus it has the "in-law" factor for make AFOLs. I know I'm not the only one with in-laws that behave like they should live in a house like this.

I own 5 currently. each unit represents 1 person in my in-law's house plus their strange dog.

• Like 1