10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

Def not a modular, it opens differently, it not build on a standard 32x32 baseplate and of course is part of the Monsters theme. However, i can see a lot of people adding it to their modular/city collection of buildings as it certainly is a nice large building, even if it does look a bit out of place and would be difficult to access when placed next to the true modular buildings.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58997372@N08/sets/72157631599408192/

With that modification it feels like it belongs with the other buildings

• 2 weeks later...

I know the Monster Fighters theme will be gone in June, but is there a chance that the Haunted House set will stick around a little while longer after the majority of the theme's sets have been discontinued? Or is it scheduled to go in June as well?

• 2 weeks later...

I got 2 Haunted Houses with the Amazon Visa card for $297.49, and 2 with my son's Amazon card for $308.95 that brings me up to 26 Haunted Houses. You guys waiting for rock bottom prices might miss the boat on this set. Nobody's know's when this set is retiring, but you saw the panic buying on Jabba's palace, well wait til this and the Death Star retiring soon show's up, then we will see real over the top people going crazy panic buying.

• Like 2

I have the space but not the $$$ to hold too many 'big' sets...so I returned 2 HH today (20% off at TRU.ca promo).  Figured since I have 4 HH already, I'll put the $300ish into other sets instead of Monsters.  So far only 4 HH and 1 VC which I'm ok with.  Time will tell if my HH returns were smart or not.   

I got 2 Haunted Houses with the Amazon Visa card for $297.49, and 2 with my son's Amazon card for $308.95 that brings me up to 26 Haunted Houses. You guys waiting for rock bottom prices might miss the boat on this set. Nobody's know's when this set is retiring, but you saw the panic buying on Jabba's palace, well wait til this and the Death Star retiring soon show's up, then we will see real over the top people going crazy panic buying.

Ed, I respect your opinion on these matters perhaps more than anyone else on this site.  I'm just not convinced that the HH is a good buy right now.  The discount isn't the issue either.  I'm certain that even when/if it does go on sale, that given its exclusive nature I'll likely be restricted in the number of sets I'll be able to aquire at a discounted price.  I'm also expecting it to soar in value once retired, selling eventually for 5-600 or perhaps even more by the time I'm ready to unload.  Therefore I'm less concerned about my buy in price, since saving 20 or 30 dollars now will not significantly impact my projected profits.

My concern is this set will be available at retail for 2+ years, long after the rest of the Monster Fighters line has vanished.  Every dollar I tie up in one of these is a dollar less I can invest in a Vampyre Castle (right now I can get roughly 2 1/2 for every HH, which I feel is a superior investment).  There are also numerous other sets I believe will be strong performers in EOL, which again will have dollars allocated away from them and tied up in this large set which may take years to see retirement.

I really wish I had a crystal ball and could predict the future.  Since I don't though, I have to go with my gut which tells me the downside risk of being tied up in an investment that could take years to see a return is too great vs. the potential for a big gain.  Especially when compared to the close contemporary VC which we have rock solid evidence of imminent retirement. 

Again, I respect the heck out of you Ed and you may end up being right here.  If HH vanishes in a month along with the rest of the line I'll gladly sit here with egg on my face.  At least I'll have a mountain of VCs so I won't be completely empty handed :)

• Like 1