10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

^will be nice for your City layout.  Dine there before...little different than just regular Keg but once was enough for me. 

I have 5 HH in my inventory...as a newbie I'll sell some as buyers come along (small profit margin) to recoup some funds but will hold 2-3 (raise prices) to see what happens in 2-3yrs.  Window might be 'short' but I'm thinking there will be opportunity to buy more at discount prices before EOL.     

Plus it has the "in-law" factor for make AFOLs. I know I'm not the only one with in-laws that behave like they should live in a house like this.

I own 5 currently. each unit represents 1 person in my in-law's house plus their strange dog.

In-laws, we love to hate em'. ;)

I'm converting mine into a steakhouse. 

There's a place called the Keg Mansion in Toronto. It's basically a Victorian house converted into a steakhouse. Hoping I can do something similar with this. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keg_Mansion

That's the darnedest thing. I was literally just thinking the other day how interesting it would be to base a modular build on that architecture!

Keg_Mansion.JPG

Are they affiliated with the keg chain? I was up at ats in Cambridge on business a couple weeks ago..they took me to the keg for dinner...the baseball steak was probably the best I have ever had. There were 8 of us for dinner...after dinner and drinks...we could have bought 4 haunted houses with that money.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen anyone mention this before, so I apologize if I missed it somewhere, but FAO Scwartz has the Haunted House for $169.99 with free shipping. I know that's not a huge discount, but since it never seems to go on sale, I picked up two. They only allow you to get two at a time. I haven't tried to order any more later, so not sure if you could wait a day or two and place another order. Prices on the other sets are high, so I'm surprised they have this at a discount.

I haven't seen anyone mention this before, so I apologize if I missed it somewhere, but FAO Scwartz has the Haunted House for $169.99 with free shipping. I know that's not a huge discount, but since it never seems to go on sale, I picked up two. They only allow you to get two at a time. I haven't tried to order any more later, so not sure if you could wait a day or two and place another order. Prices on the other sets are high, so I'm surprised they have this at a discount.

Thats not bad at all. I am going to consider it. You have to pay tax?

If you have a Lego store around not to far from where you live you are better of getting it at the Lego store as you get VIP Points, but the main reason you are sure of getting a mint box. If I got one from FAO I would be saving about $1.00 or two, with paying the tax.

• Like 1

If you have a Lego store around not to far from where you live you are better of getting it at the Lego store as you get VIP Points, but the main reason you are sure of getting a mint box. If I got one from FAO I would be saving about $1.00 or two, with paying the tax.

This is absolutely 100% true. FAO sale is not worth it if you live by a LEGO Store. Even if you don't live by a store, it probably still isn't worth it. LEGO ships sets better than most other retailers. 

Closest Lego store to me is about two hours away. :(

BTW, I just placed my first LEGO Shop at Home order last week, and it still hasn't shipped. I didn't buy more than one of any particular thing. Does LEGO Shop at Home usually take a while to ship?

What set did you purchase?

Closest Lego store to me is about two hours away. :(

BTW, I just placed my first LEGO Shop at Home order last week, and it still hasn't shipped. I didn't buy more than one of any particular thing. Does LEGO Shop at Home usually take a while to ship?

Are you in the USA? If so, LEGO has this nice little map that shows you their central shipping location, which is somewhere in the Tennessee. They have a map in their LEGO catalog, which you can view by going to http://shop.lego.com/catalog/displayCatalog.jsp?id=8040_2ae035f2_f7089c7c [on page 33]. I also took a screenshot of the map:

'>

If something is taking excessively long, you can always call their customer service.

What set did you purchase?

I bought several - Batman funhouse was the biggest, with several smaller sets, like spring and summer scenes...enough to get me to $75 and a free hot dog stand. :)

Are you in the USA? If so, LEGO has this nice little map that shows you their central shipping location, which is somewhere in the Tennessee. They have a map in their LEGO catalog, which you can view by going to http://shop.lego.com/catalog/displayCatalog.jsp?id=8040_2ae035f2_f7089c7c [on page 33]. I also took a screenshot of the map:

'>

If something is taking excessively long, you can always call their customer service.

Thanks for the info. According to the map, it should take 3-8 days, but I think that's from when it ships, which it hasn't yet. I'll give it a few more days (it hasn't been a full week yet), then call if it still hasn't gone out. I know Amazon sometimes seems to take longer to ship, too.

Makes me wonder if the actual FAO brick & mortar store has sales on Lego. Every time I've been there, it seems like the kind of place that would never have sales! (Though I suppose if you could get even 5% off an $8000 giraffe, that would be a good deal.) Anyone have experience shopping for Lego there?

I have visited FAO in Manhattan at least 20 times in 2013.  Not once did I see any sale on their Lego sets.

This is what I was thinking. Get the VIP points and the exclusive - assuming you wait until next month to go buy. I am going to probably do that a the first of the month. Lego store just 90 miles away :)

DoNotInsert...am I understanding your post correctly that there's a new promo exclusive each month? So, if I want another hot dog cart, I'd better order again before the end of July?

Yes, in the VIP program every month there is a new exclusive polybag, minifig, etc if you spend $75. They also run out of them usually before the month is over as well.

Check out the forum section for Lego S&****. They post each month's exclusives there. Next month I believe its a galaxy squad set and there is also a Friends set.

Uh-oh, guess I'd better get my next order in today, then. I was hoping to wait until my first order had at least shipped, but I don't want to miss out on another hot dog stand--that thing is just too darn cute!!

Thanks for the great info. I'll definitely check the forums for the LEGO Shop at Home thread!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...