10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

Not sure. Rumours have suggested that it will be around until end of 2014. Others suggested retirement this year, so who knows. Was it specifically placed by the HH, or just in the vicinity of the MF line, and the HH happened to be on the shelf near it?

Retiring soon sign at lego means nothing .. I think they just place that on sets they are overstocked and need to move quickly lol!

Retiring soon sign at lego means nothing .. I think they just place that on sets they are overstocked and need to move quickly lol!

True to the first part. Was more curious then anything else if this was intended to be more like the second part of what you said: trying to sell more sets. That would be hilarious and quite disappointing at the same time if true, though I doubt it  :laugh:

Okay emazers weigh in! BP'ers don't freak out and buy so many that lego restarts production.

Good call. I`ll take my finger off the trigger. 

We need to replace the ticker on the home page with "Exclusives don't appear on the wholesale list."

Also maybe "The Wholsale List is not God."

I will say I didn't see anymore at my store either this weekend, but they are renowned for pulling stuff off the floor, putting it in the back, bringing it back out.

I would love to go through their stockroom - bet ther are some retired sets back there. lol

I said this plenty of times "The Wholesale List that I get is just for the regular sets, no Exclusives, The List for Exclusives that are retiring are only known by a very few people, There are people at Lego who are known to try and bribe to get to see that list, I would pay to get a hold of it. So if the Haunted House is retiring well massive panic buying will happen.    Ed

• Like 1

I wasn't  being smart I just stated that I have said that Lego Exclusives are not on the Wholesale Lego Form for the average Seller with a Wholesale account, I wish I had the the Hard to get Form. I hope to have the full 2014 Wholesale order form paper work pretty soon. "I HOPE"    Ed

The notable sets last year that retired were Masrek Train and Imperial Shuttle were not in the holiday catalog.  The City Garage, Mini-Modular, and Fire Brigade that had the retiring soon sign at the Lego store since the summer were not in this year's holiday catalog.  The HH however is in it and I have not heard anyone else confirm the retiring soon sign besides the Lego store I went into today.  It's possible HH is going but it's anybody's guess.  All of these sets though, you probably should buy some if you want some copies.  Especially for people that want to buy 10-20 copies, you might want to start building your positions before it's too late.  

Glad I traded in my Brickpoints for a Haunted House. I would have kicked myself in the ass really hard if I ended up missing out on the greatest Lego set in the history of forever awesomeness. Back on topic, I thought we had until next year for the set to retire completely? Just because they are not planning to restock the (physical) store doesn't mean the set is being discontinued altogether.

Guest TabbyBoy

Well... This thread may just have made my Brick Weekend "Fill my Boots" session a little easier.  With %15 (10% plus VIP) off a HH with promo, how can I not place an order a day over the long weekend?  This is simply the BEST Lego building ever hence, I forsee retired-modular-type gains after EOL.  I now wish I took photos of the one I built for Halloween with my red LED bike light illuminating the inside of it.  I didn't as it was pissing down outside at the time and then I couldn't be arsed.  It's now disassembled in the attic but, I may drag it out again for Xmas and will then post a photo.

Guys, I think we need a common sense reality check here:
1.) We all agree this is one of Lego's best and well designed sets,  therefore, why would they kill it in 2 years?  Consumers are buying them, keep it on the shelves.
2.) Its a non-license product,  they can just keep making them without paying royalty fees.  (oh, but the line is been discontinue, doesn't matter, because its not a License LINE.......ie..Marvel, DC, LOTR, HP.
WHICH brings me to #3.) Just look at all the modulars: FB, GE, PS, PC,TH....non of Which are Licensed.  All will be on the shelved for 4 years or more.
The HH will be considered a Modular.
4.) Why would they retire the HH, When they just brought back the VC from the dead?...........VC will retired way before HH.
5.) **There's nothing more a investor would like than the HH being retired after 2 years**.  **Nothing**!,  SO do you really think Lego will retire the HH in 2 years to please all the "Resellers"..........Think again.
I think the HH may stay awhile.  However, Don't take my word for it.  You really don't want to miss this one.
Having said all that, I just keep buying them whenever I get a chance until they are retired.  
This is the Ri$k we take.

Guest TabbyBoy

1.) We all agree this is one of Lego's best and well designed sets,  therefore, why would they kill it in 2 years?  Consumers are buying them, keep it on the shelves.

2.) Its a non-license product,  they can just keep making them without paying royalty fees.  (oh, but the line is been discontinue, doesn't matter, because its not a License LINE.......ie..Marvel, DC, LOTR, HP.

WHICH brings me to #3.) Just look at all the modulars: FB, GE, PS, PC,TH....non of Which are Licensed.  All will be on the shelved for 4 years or more.

4.) Why would they retire the HH, When they just brought back the VC from the dead?...........VC will retired way before HH.

5.) **There's nothing more a investor would like than the HH being retired after 2 years**.  **Nothing**!,  SO do you really think Lego will retire the HH in 2 years to please all the "Resellers"..........Think again.

I think the HH may stay awhile.  However, Don't take my word for it.  You really don't want to miss this one.

Having said all that, I just keep buying them whenever I get a chance until they are retired.  

Yep, speculate to accumulate.

Tend to agree with that. Very good points raised. Also, it hasn`t even been two years. More like 15-16 months if memory serves me correctly. To kill the set now doesn`t appear to be a good option for them. By all indication it`s a very, very popular set, and as you pointed out there is no license agreement. Do know what anyone else`s opinion is on this, but that sounds like the best of both world`s. Un-licensed (aka lower cost to produce) and very popular. Regardless I still need to buy this one. Would have bought during x3 VIP, but sadly others things came in the way. 'tis a tragedy  :bye:

The Vampire Castle was not bought back from the Dead, its just like the Helm's Deep both are still available on line and at Toys R US. Both will be gone soon. Even though the 2013 Wholesale Form said Spring only on the Monster Fighters and Helm's Deep like I said before Lego made sure they had plenty for the Holidays.

• Like 1

As Ed stated, these wholesale lists really don't include exclusives because Independent LEGO Retailers are not allowed to sell exclusives.  As for the list itself, it is just an approximation and nothing is set in stone, as seen with the VC and HD.  LEGO can be messing with people once again.  LOL.  They stick a couple of these "Retiring Soon" signs on some HHs and word gets out and people freak out.  Needless to say, they will get a sales bump now and later, when it does go EOL.

• 3 weeks later...