10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

I created a new forum here that will allow members to talk about their LEGO accomplishments in building.  I know many buy and those plastic bricks may not see the light of day for a few years, but LEGO is really there to build.  I want to open the new forum sharing a time lapse video build of LEGO #10221 Super Star Destroyer. The people building this set are near and dear to us.  My friend Kevin moved out to California over 10 years ago, so sadly we don't get to see him or the family much.  Some of you may know of Kevin.  He is a composer and did the original music score for Gears of War and quite a few other big name game titles and now getting into movies.

Anyhow, he raising his boys the right way.  They LOVE LEGO and LOVE Star Wars.  He did a great job on this and I think you will enjoy it.  

I could live with that! Do you know if they can get their employee discount on non-instore stuff like UCS sets?

TLG employees do get their discount on S@H, but the stores generally carry everything that is available online so I don't know why they would order them online. They are also encouraged to make their purchases from their own store to help their sales goals. The regular employees don't make very much either, so most of them aren't buying lots of stuff.

The ones I have talked to say that the $2000 of max discounted purchases they get every year is measly,  many of them blow past this by April or May. I bet they buy a fair amount, even if it is just $2k/yr thats not exactly a little. From my experience, Lego EE's really like to build and do MOC's, not invest. 

The ones I have talked to say that the $2000 of max discounted purchases they get every year is measly, many of them blow past this by April or May. I bet they buy a fair amount, even if it is just $2k/yr thats not exactly a little. From my experience, Lego EE's really like to build and do MOC's, not invest.

People like to talk and act like big shots. There are far more store employees who get nowhere near their max than those who approach or exceed it. Most of these employees are very young, part-time employees making less than $10/hour.

The wholesale order form has no info on any Hard to Find or Exclusives, the order form just shows Lego sets that you can buy in Your Target, Walmart and Toys R Us Stores, "No Hard to Find or Exclusives" So looks like people might start panic buying, Lego had these for $309 last May, so has Amazon and Walmart a few times. If this set was retiring soon Black Friday would be a good day to retire them, The 2 Lego store's in Baltimore had plenty of these in stock.

I don't think its retiring just yet but who knows. I've got a couple, when we have serious news it is retiring I'll get a couple more.

There are people on here that order direct from Lego that have the catalogs showing what's available for them to purchase, so should we not assume it will still be available for the forseeable future? I would think one of these dealers would chime in as they have previously...

If you're referring to wholesalers like emazers, I don't think they are able to order Lego exclusives. Emazers did a really informative post about Lego wholesale restrictions and costs, but I don't remember where it was.

I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, I just recall reading a few times that someone had a Lego order catalog. But also, how is the SSD an exclusive? It's sold by Amazon, TRU, Target, Walmart, maybe more...

It's more likely that the store you visited is going to stop carrying the SSD. I remember asking an Lego Store employee in Jan if Helms Deep was being discontinued because I bought some on clearance at Target and when I visited the Lego store they didn't have any. He said it was being discontinued but they were no longer going to stock it in that store.

I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, I just recall reading a few times that someone had a Lego order catalog. But also, how is the SSD an exclusive? It's sold by Amazon, TRU, Target, Walmart, maybe more...

It's confusing, right? I guess there are certain sets that Lego allows retailers to sell online but not in stores or something. Anyway I know that not just any reseller can order SSD from Lego at wholesale prices, which means it doesn't show on their order forms. Same goes for Haunted House, Tower Bridge, R2-D2, etc.

Unless you have an actual store, and are willing to spend a good $15,000 and more and carry 75% of the Lego Themes all small sets included. and you need a Retail sales License that cost about $2,00 plus you have to pay the State sales tax every quarter on your sales, And you can only order the normal regular lego sets that you see in Target, Walmart,Ant Toys R Us, "NO HARD TO FIND AND EXCLUSIVES are not elgible to Buy" In Another words Its a Bust, 2 years ago you could order 20 cases of harry Potter 4842 castles, 20 cases Black Pearl's etc, but those good old days are going. "Now here is a good example take Entertainment Earth, the site that had Buy one get one 50% off, I have an account with them to, had it for 5 years, they are in the same boat thats one reason they had that sale, and they are breaking even or making maybe $5.00 a set, plus they are trying to get rid of all there small sets that nobody wants and they can't sell on Ebay right now or there are selling dirt cheap they use to just order the big sets before to, but no more. And to buy Wholesale from them is a real joke, Amazon is way cheaper." And to be able to carry the Hard to Find Exclusive sets you have to be Amazon, target, walmart, Toys R Us,and a few other outlets that have to order a few hundred grand worth a lego. Sideshow started selling Lego last year they were only going to handle the big $80 and up sets, but when lego told them they had to do the 75% Of there Themes small sets included, they basicially told Lego no deal, Sideshow got the few sets that they did get from somebody else. So anybody that's buying Lego well just get the deals whenever you see them, as for buying Lego Wholesale forget it, its 99% impossible now.

• Like 6

Unless you have an actual store, and are willing to spend a good $15,000 and more and carry 75% of the Lego Themes all small sets included. and you need a Retail sales License that cost about $2,00 plus you have to pay the State sales tax every quarter on your sales, And you can only order the normal regular lego sets that you see in Target, Walmart,Ant Toys R Us, "NO HARD TO FIND AND EXCLUSIVES are not elgible to Buy" In Another words Its a Bust, 2 years ago you could order 20 cases of harry Potter 4842 castles, 20 cases Black Pearl's etc, but those good old days are going. "Now here is a good example take Entertainment Earth, the site that had Buy one get one 50% off, I have an account with them to, had it for 5 years, they are in the same boat thats one reason they had that sale, and they are breaking even or making maybe $5.00 a set, plus they are trying to get rid of all there small sets that nobody wants and they can't sell on Ebay right now or there are selling dirt cheap they use to just order the big sets before to, but no more. And to buy Wholesale from them is a real joke, Amazon is way cheaper." And to be able to carry the Hard to Find Exclusive sets you have to be Amazon, target, walmart, Toys R Us,and a few other outlets that have to order a few hundred grand worth a lego. Sideshow started selling Lego last year they were only going to handle the big $80 and up sets, but when lego told them they had to do the 75% Of there Themes small sets included, they basicially told Lego no deal, Sideshow got the few sets that they did get from somebody else. So anybody that's buying Lego well just get the deals whenever you see them, as for buying Lego Wholesale forget it, its 99% impossible now.

great info emazers

Guest ph4tb0i

Awesome info. Thanks!

While it seems to be worst for the consumer as there is now less choice to buy HTF and exclusives in the "traditional" retail space, this really opens up the secondary market for  us as those of us that are able to scoop up sets at a good price can "pass this" back to the consumer. :)

Awesome info. Thanks!

While it seems to be worst for the consumer as there is now less choice to buy HTF and exclusives in the "traditional" retail space, this really opens up the secondary market for  us as those of us that are able to scoop up sets at a good price can "pass this" back to the consumer. :)

Exactly - for everyone concerned about a bubble, Lego's move may have booted some big time resellers from the secondary market game, or at least made their set procurement MUCH harder.  That had to depress secondary market supply and open up opportunities for new sellers.

• 3 weeks later...