10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

I have 2 MIB from when a TRU manager, who was smoking something in the break room, wound up selling them to me for $256 a piece after some wacky calculator work with BOGO and opening new card. I have never seen her blessed face again.

Would love to build it, but for crying out loud where to put it? The thought of all that dust is a killer for me.

I'm on the fence buying an SSD (or two). 

If I do decide, how many sets?

Without being too specific (and being a relatively new investor (who has gone crazy the last 3 weeks)), what % of a brickfolio should one have with SSDs?

For example, if one had a $1000 brickfolio, one SSD would represent 40%.

Time's of the essence.  Double VIP points vanish in a few days...

I'm on the fence buying an SSD (or two). 

If I do decide, how many sets?

Without being too specific (and being a relatively new investor (who has gone crazy the last 3 weeks)), what % of a brickfolio should one have with SSDs?

For example, if one had a $1000 brickfolio, one SSD would represent 40%.

Time's of the essence.  Double VIP points vanish in a few days...

If you have 1000$ limit (as do I ) then buying sets that represent 40% is a waste....

There is no rule how much you should have... 

If you have 1000$ limit (as do I ) then buying sets that represent 40% is a waste....

There is no rule how much you should have... 

$1000 was a generic number... Maybe some better questions:  What % of one's brickfolio should be tied up in one or more of said set that's expensive but facing EOL?  10%, 20%, ...?  How many eggs in one basket is too much?

I don't have any yet. My plan was to get one this month for double VIP, then I remembered that I can get it for 10% off anytime at the Legoland Toronto with my membership. I'm going to wait to see if there are any deals between now and Boxing Day. If not then I'll get at least one after Christmas.

This is one of those sets where I'd be content to buy one used for personal enjoyment, even if it means I don't get any figures since I already have all of them from other sources. A guy up here was selling one on Craigslist the other month for 20% off MSRP, plus of course no tax or shipping, which is a pretty sweet deal.

$1000 was a generic number... Maybe some better questions:  What % of one's brickfolio should be tied up in one or more of said set that's expensive but facing EOL?  10%, 20%, ...?  How many eggs in one basket is too much?

As many as you feel... if you FEEL 1 is too much then it is....

Its about how you feel not how everyone else feels....

Someone here wil lsay 25 is too much i will tell you 2 is too much.... because we all look from our own perspective and ideas....

Listen to your reason and logic how much is too much...

There is no UNIVERSAL % spreadsheet or anything... 

• Like 1

I have zero. I will buy one to keep for my personal collection before the end of the year. Unless it goes 50% off ala 10227 it will not fit my requirement of 100% return in one year. One issue may be with retailers inability to discount this set it may shelf warm for a long time to come after retirement. However this is assuming the restrictions on retailers are still in place for a retired set - perhaps they will be free to clearance it when TLG retires this set? This is new territory. We will learn alot from this one.

$400 is an awfully big chunk of cash to put into one set. It is a jumbo sized monster of a build and certainly worth both the money and effort but that price tag. Yeesh. I know it will be a hell of an investment winner though down the road and cannot see Lego even try spinning a redesign on this as they captured it down a hundred percent right here. It is an item for extremely serious collectors.

$400 is an awfully big chunk of cash to put into one set. It is a jumbo sized monster of a build and certainly worth both the money and effort but that price tag. Yeesh. I know it will be a hell of an investment winner though down the road and cannot see Lego even try spinning a redesign on this as they captured it down a hundred percent right here. It is an item for extremely serious collectors.

I just have trouble forking over that $$$ thinking that it might be 5 years down the road before I can get 3x - 5x my money on it.  I can double my money on many sets during that 5-year period.

• Like 1

I just have trouble forking over that $$$ thinking that it might be 5 years down the road before I can get 3x - 5x my money on it.  I can double my money on many sets during that 5-year period.

As do I. Like I said, $400 is a whole ton of money to sit on a single item for a long while. I would have less of a problem putting that kind of cash into a couple modulars and some other things on the side to round it out but that is more of personal preferance.

I have zero. I have contemplated buy some/one on multiple occasions, but just don`t see the need to fork over $450 (double VIP) onto 1 set. 2 HHs would be more realistic for me by far. If one has a large supply of capital and is able to invest it long term, then it would be better, that is not me though. My money will hopefully go in now, and bring in decent returns within 3-4 years. Beyond that is something I am carrying about, but isn`t really the priority. 

I have one but am thinking about jumping in for one or two more.

If Lego has 10% off purchases over $150 again this year for Black Friday, it may be better to buy then.

Were there any restrictions on multiple purchases during Black Friday last year?  Do you still get 'single' VIP points for Black Friday purchases?  Thanks!

I am also hoping to wait for the Black Friday 10% off sale.  Does anyone know if "big" and "exclusives" will be exempt from the sale this year?

I have one sealed that I bought on Amazon last year for $320.  I still hope to see that price again, so I continue to wait.

Based on what has happened this year, I doubt either of the above will happen. But I am hoping right with you.

I have one but am thinking about jumping in for one or two more.

If Lego has 10% off purchases over $150 again this year for Black Friday, it may be better to buy then.

Were there any restrictions on multiple purchases during Black Friday last year? Do you still get 'single' VIP points for Black Friday purchases? Thanks!

It's normally single VIP points on Black Friday. Now if you get invited to the special VIP pre-Black Friday event, you may like the points you get for that a little more this year...

I just got my first one Wednesday from LEGO Shop at Home.  It was free, so I am happy with it.  A combination of Lego points and Discover points made it $0.00, and I got the VP points and 5% back from Discover...though I am not sure I get 5% cash back from Discover when I buy something with Disc Points... Hmmm.

I'd like to get 5 and 1 for building, but only if I get them 1/2 of what they cost.  I think I will be able to get at least 2 more after Christmas using points again.