10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

i think it is a good set to invest in, it is enormous and like death star 2, is more of a model than a toy. the reason the death start is still being made after 5 years is because you are supposed to play with it and kids can have fun. ssd is for looks and would not surprise me when it is phased out

I know this set costs a lot but I think that it's that fact that will help to drive the price up. I imagine it's steep now, but I think Lego is past the days of deeply discounting sets like this to clear them out unless there is a huge error. Some people might recall when the UCS Falcon went EOL and Canadians got it for what I think was 75.00, someone else might remember this more clearly. I'm sure some people are intimidated by the price, but once it's gone, they will wish they spent the 400.00.

I don't see how this could not be a great investment. I was fortunate enough to grab one at amazon for $309. Definitely agree with those above in that those who pass because of its price now will regret it once it goes EOL.

I agree that at $309 this was a great investment. Hopefully we get another shot at it around this price before it rides off into retirement. These big sets have historically performed very well, and I see no indication that the SSD will disappoint.

...until Lego re-releases it in three years for the people that missed out, haha...

That's a good point, but they may never EOL it if it is popular enough and selling well. The Death Star is a good example of an expensive set that has been available to fans for quite a while. Despite that though, if enough time passes after it EOL (if it ever EOL's lol) and enough people want to buy it Lego I'm sure would make the decision that is going to make them money ultimately. I can't imagine they hold the small time secondary market in high regard when it comes to decision making.

I don't think it is as good of a seller as everyone thinks it is........400 bones for a set is crazy (for most people)

That's a fact!! While it is a sweet set, spending $400 on just one Lego set is not justifiable to most people, especially not parents purchasing it for their kids. Unless the parents happen to be AFOL's themselves.

That's a fact!! While it is a sweet set, spending $400 on just one Lego set is not justifiable to most people, especially not parents purchasing it for their kids. Unless the parents happen to be AFOL's themselves.

Yes, then they are "Buying for the kids". Basically, the parents buy the set for the "kids" and "help" them to build it, with some "assistance". :)

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, this is my first post so I apologise for any wrongdoings or rule-breakings. >< After many years of not buying LEGO due to zero/little income, I've finally managed to start saving to get the SSD. I've been reading over some other threads and nobody seems to know much for certain so I'm hoping for any kind of solid info, even just the tiniest bit, but I've been incredibly paranoid lately about the SSD going EOL. It appears they're quite unpredictable at LEGO about the products ending. I'd love this set more than any other, although it may cause a few sparks around here as I understand most of you are largely buyers & sellers and not really builders lol.

• Like 1

Firstly, this is my first post so I apologise for any wrongdoings or rule-breakings. ><

After many years of not buying LEGO due to zero/little income, I've finally managed to start saving to get the SSD.

I've been reading over some other threads and nobody seems to know much for certain so I'm hoping for any kind of solid info, even just the tiniest bit, but I've been incredibly paranoid lately about the SSD going EOL. It appears they're quite unpredictable at LEGO about the products ending. I'd love this set more than any other, although it may cause a few sparks around here as I understand most of you are largely buyers & sellers and not really builders lol.

First, welcome to the site! I myself was drawn back into buying LEGO by the UCS imperial shuttle. Also i myself am more of a builder/collector than an actual investor, so your not alone! I personally think you have some time on the SSD. However trying to find a rough estimate of when a particular set goes EOL is pretty difficult. Most people can merely speculate on when it might go based off of how long its been out and pending sets that are coming out that might boot it off the shelfs. I know that didn't really answer your question but I imagine most people will give you their best guesses!

• Like 1

Firstly, this is my first post so I apologise for any wrongdoings or rule-breakings. ><

After many years of not buying LEGO due to zero/little income, I've finally managed to start saving to get the SSD.

I've been reading over some other threads and nobody seems to know much for certain so I'm hoping for any kind of solid info, even just the tiniest bit, but I've been incredibly paranoid lately about the SSD going EOL. It appears they're quite unpredictable at LEGO about the products ending. I'd love this set more than any other, although it may cause a few sparks around here as I understand most of you are largely buyers & sellers and not really builders lol.

welcome go the site. So I know that most LEGO stores stopped carrying the SSD in store and that seemed to spook everyone a little. S@H still has it available so I don't think it is going anywhere for a while. If you are worried about its investment potential, rest easy my friend because when it does EOL its gonna pay for itself a couple of times over.

Welcome to the site, LordBardill!

Truth is no one knows for certain when anything gets discontinued, that includes me. All I can really say is from the track record of other similiarly priced sets (Like the Death Star that won't GO AWAY! Haha.), the Super Star Destroyer which is just barely two years old could still be around another year or two. It is wicked cool afterall. Once this and perhaps the dang "Live Star" gets the boot, BIG CHA-CHING!

Also once you do save the money you might want to wait a little bit to see if it drops to 309.00 like it did for several days last year. Do that only if you feel comfortable though. I will say that there should be some warning signs before it EOLs I don't think we will wake up one day and it will be gone. I am holding out to see if it does indeed drop back down to 309.00. FYI in am talking about amazon price.

Thank you for all the responses and I'm grateful for all the information! :D Do you guys know if there are any telltale signs of a UCS set's impending doom? Like a big sale, or an obvious replacement? I know the new X-wing set is due soon, hopefully this won't push the SSD off the shelves!

I think that they took these off the shelves at the LEGO stores to make room for the new X wing you spoke of. That is just speculation on my part of course. I have found that the best way to know if a set is soon to EOL is to check this and other Lego related forums. There are many people on here that have been in this game way longer than I so maybe they know some past trends. I think that LEGO has definately been changing up their EOL practices though.

Lego generallly only keep a few UCS sets out. Currently there is the B-Wing, SSD, R2-D2 with the Death Star Playset hovering around as well. The Imperial Shuttle disappeared a few months after the B-Wing's release, so I would expect whatever is going to go will disappear after the new X-Wing is released.