10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

Stephen, Rich, Comicblast, and I are all working at the Lego store. Comicblast: "Heard they are going to EOL all the Monster Fighters sets next month." Rich: "Are you sure that is true?" Stephen: "TLC releases its EOL dates to all of their employees now." Me: "Sweet!" We all buy every single Monster Fighter set we can get our hands on and make thousands and thousands of dollars over the next couple of years. (: LOL.

Stephen, Rich, Comicblast, and I are all working at the Lego store.

Comicblast: "Heard they are going to EOL all the Monster Fighters sets next month."

Rich: "Are you sure that is true?"

Stephen: "TLC releases its EOL dates to all of their employees now."

Me: "Sweet!"

We all buy every single Monster Fighter set we can get our hands on and make thousands and thousands of dollars over the next couple of years. (: LOL.

Now, I could live with that!!! :)

At the base of what they are saying I have no issue as all of us here speculate on a daily basis as well. My argument has always been the matter of factness they use is ridiculous. If I was a manager I would discipline any employee stating as a fact that they know when a set is going EOL......the problem is the info probably comes from a manager and the employee is just restating was management has said.

Comicblast: "Heard they are going to EOL all the Monster Fighters sets next month."

We all buy every single Monster Fighter set we can get our hands on and make thousands and thousands of dollars over the next couple of years. (: LOL.

Ahh. The thing is that I would buy them all first, then tell you guys. :) JK. There are so many sets in a Lego store that might go EOL and I wouldn't be earning that much money working there.

In the employees' defense, they didn't state that the SSD was going EOL, per se. Just that it was being discontinued to the extent that they will not get any more in store. They're definitely hit or miss (it would've been nice to know about the zombies!), but they did fill me in on the shuttle and the maersk train going out before it happened. But you guys are right, it's probably not worth tying up $400 on one of these when there's no guarantee it's gonna be EOL and it was selling for as low as $310 on amazon. As for working at the lego store, I imagine that would be like an being alcoholic bartender. Especially considering the employees get 30% off everything and 50% off sometimes!

Haha

I'd make a wager with him. I'd offer to buy 5 on the spot, and then come back in 60 days. If the set was officially retired by then by Lego I'd give him one as a way of saying thank you for the tip. If it was still available for sale, he'd have to buy me one in compensation for his use of deceptive sales tactics to induce me to make a purchase I would not otherwise have made. Anyone want to make a side bet on whether or not he'd take me up on my offer?

I'd make a wager with him. I'd offer to buy 5 on the spot, and then come back in 60 days. If the set was officially retired by then by Lego I'd give him one as a way of saying thank you for the tip. If it was still available for sale, he'd have to buy me one in compensation for his use of deceptive sales tactics to induce me to make a purchase I would not otherwise have made. Anyone want to make a side bet on whether or not he'd take me up on my offer?

You slick. Very slick. But I like it! Thank way, they will lose something if they are wrong which is like 90% of the time.

I was thinking it would be EOL soon. It may be available to purchase from the Lego store, but if you go to starwars.lego.com and go to 'Exclusives' it's been missing for weeks. Also, Amazon was out of it for a little while but they seem to have got more.

I noticed this a few weeks back too, giving a false alarm on accident. :) I later found it in the regular Lego Shop. http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Super-Star-Destroyer-10221 see for yourself. Its there, and likely will be there for a little while longer.

I could live with that! Do you know if they can get their employee discount on non-instore stuff like UCS sets?

UCS sets are in their stores. They get four 50% discount days per year. They can buy whatever they want as long as it is available in their store. They are limited though, I believe at the discretion of the store manager, to 1 exclusive set per 50% off day, and around $5,000 (after discounts) per year in purchases.

Jeff/Ed's blurb on the set description is: The BrickPicker Accountant's Guide for 10221-1 There is no rush to run out and get this set right now unless you just can't wait to open and build it. As for LEGO investment purposes, you will just need to be sure to grab this set on sale, or at least retail price before it is retired in the next 2-3 years. That's when the real fun will start. This set will be a winner in a few years! Now the only thing I think about this is that we do not know when it was written. If it was written in 2011 then their 2-3 years is nearly up. If this set runs for the standard 2 years then it should go sometime this year. Or it may be like the 10188 and never go away... :) Doubtful though, 10188 is very popular and priced well. This is more of a niche product and so I believe it will have a shorter shelf life. Cheapest UK price at the moment is

At my local Lego store, the employees stated the SSD is being discontinued.

Any employee of any company will say what they need to sell something. And even if they did 100% know for sure that the set in question is assuredly going to be discontinued and when, they wouldn't really tell you anyway cause of company policy. Not their fault, like many of us they just want to keep their jobs.

I have 5 of them and am always keeping an eye out on their pricing. The big question is will this hang around seemingly forever like the Death Star playset, or disappear quickly. I believe it is the next to go, sharing the same views as CNH1974. I might try pick up another one or two along the way if I have some spare cash.