10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

SSD looks very good, has an investment potential, but problem is the price - it is extremly overpriced a long time. The standard price 400 eur means that there is ratio 0,127 eur per piece - its very high number even for a licenced set - and there arent many figs included, what could be a reason for higher price otherwise.

The SSD set is very overpriced.  Especially when you compare it to the ISD set 10030, which is very comparable in size and piece count.  The only real difference is the inclusion of 5 minifigs (which arguably shouldn't even be in a UCS set anyway...).

10030 was $300 USD/$400 CDN

SSD is $400 USD/$500 CDN.

I don't see the justification or the value in the extra $100 being asked by TLG.

The SSD set is very overpriced.  Especially when you compare it to the ISD set 10030, which is very comparable in size and piece count.  The only real difference is the inclusion of 5 minifigs (which arguably shouldn't even be in a UCS set anyway...).

I don't see the justification or the value in the extra $100 being asked by TLG.

And this may be the reason that many people overlook it.  

• Like 1

Don't forget there are nine years of inflation between the two release dates as well.  Though more importantly the specific cost increase would be in ABS plastic which no doubt rose faster than inflation due to the oil content involved.  

But sure, some of it is just because Lego is popular and the can charge more as the market will bear the higher prices.

• Like 1

good question. It looks like most if not all big sets had done good? is that true?

I could only find 17 sets with a retail over $200.  Of those 7 are still available at retail.  Of the remaining 10 the worst performers are the 8527 Mindstorms NXT which has a CAGR of 1.42%.  There is also the 8485 Control Centre II with CAGR of 3.99%, but that's a bit of an obscure one.

The SSD set is very overpriced. Especially when you compare it to the ISD set 10030, which is very comparable in size and piece count. The only real difference is the inclusion of 5 minifigs (which arguably shouldn't even be in a UCS set anyway...).

The many large plates, long NNx2 bricks, and various long Techno bricks add up. That is why the SSD is so costly compared to other sets. It weighs a ton.

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

Mindstorms don't appreciate because there is little collectability in them and ppl always go for the newer better versions at retail.

Exactly.  I guess our conclusion is that there haven't really been any sets over $200 that have performed poorly... yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I was thinking to buy a 10221 for my collection. As I live in Switzerland (the most expensive place in the world to buy Lego) I was thinking to buy it from amazon.com. I was just wondering - shall I wait for a sale? Or it just doesn't happen for these expensive sets?

Thank you for your help!

Hi Guys,

I was thinking to buy a 10221 for my collection. As I live in Switzerland (the most expensive place in the world to buy Lego) I was thinking to buy it from amazon.com. I was just wondering - shall I wait for a sale? Or it just doesn't happen for these expensive sets?

Thank you for your help!

Ever since Lego enacted a rule that does not allow exclusive sets like the SSD to go on sale, there hasn't been a good sale on this set on Amazon.com. The last time it was on sale, it was only 10% off which brings the price down to $360. IMO, I don't think that there will be anymore sales on this set from Amazon. But, I have heard about some European Amazon websites having this set on sale, but I'm not sure which ones.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your help!

It's