10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

There is an eight second gap between each bidding account near the end of the auction, unless they're using an auction sniper or two different pc's \browsers I don't see how that's possible. Also it all seems like a whole load of hassle just to have a sold listing showing at a price that's not going to influence future sale prices. 

Easy explanation that I've seen first hand lots of times before: You tell 2 or 3 friends that you got an auction running in which you would like to reach a certain price - and they keep bidding up to that price until the very end in hope another bidder who is unknown to seller + friends will outbid them. Heck I get requests to bid on random auctions of colleagues nearly every day just to drive the price up...That's one reason why I only sell with buy-it-now - auctions are way to much hassle.

Edited by TigerG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TigerG said:

Easy explanation that I've seen first hand lots of times before: You tell 2 or 3 friends that you got an auction running in which you would like to reach a certain price - and they keep bidding up to that price until the very end in hope another bidder who is unknown to seller + friends will outbid them. Heck I get requests to bid on random auctions of colleagues nearly every day just to drive the price up...That's one reason why I only sell with buy-it-now - auctions are way to much hassle.

And you probably end up with your auctions achieving prices in a range far beyond good and evil... if there were no colleagues driving them up :devil:

• 3 weeks later...

10225 is now gone for one year. Retail was here 179.99 but could be bought between 120 and 140.

It is selling on amazon at 390 at the moment. Selling rank isnt the best, but cmon its only gone for one year and you really expected to hit 4x RRP.

I guess the movie does not have a real impact with XMAS purchases since the movie is only a few days out not everyone has seen the movie, let your R2D2s sit for another 1-2 years and you should be fine.

12 minutes ago, legopocalypse said:

Really you're happy with the return?

Yep sometimes I'm off I've been selling for 450

time to move on keeping half selling half

so many people on here seem so fickle with things r2 bad tumbler bad episode VII bad star killer bad insert whatever bad

the horde ruined it I can't make anything the good old days are gone so on

i choose to be positive

i just continue to be amazed by everyone who says Lego investing is horrible and the horde ruined it

fine good deal get out of the market (not you but you get the idea) maybe some people just love to be miserable all the time I don't know

im not saying that everything in life is wonderful I am saying it is how I choose to approach things

• Like 5

2 hours ago, metsrock507 said:

auctions for this set have been ending at near 300$ for about a month now. i got 3 at 312, 305, and 275, all brand new and sealed. Im not sure why there has been a sudden dive in the prices... have any other brickpickers been winning actions for the low priced R2s? 

It´s in hibernation.

Actually, of the class of  `14 it has had the most consistent growth in Europe (less seasonal than HH, TH and GE). DS retirement will make it the OT set to have right now but even R2´s cameo in TFA should help it along.

Edited by valenciaeric

19 minutes ago, trekgate502 said:

Yep sometimes I'm off I've been selling for 450

time to move on keeping half selling half

so many people on here seem so fickle with things r2 bad tumbler bad episode VII bad star killer bad insert whatever bad

the horde ruined it I can't make anything the good old days are gone so on

i choose to be positive

i just continue to be amazed by everyone who says Lego investing is horrible and the horde ruined it

fine good deal get out of the market (not you but you get the idea) maybe some people just love to be miserable all the time I don't know

im not saying that everything in life is wonderful I am saying it is how I choose to approach things

I think people just love to be miserable.

I don't always have a lot of sets that really take off, but with the help of this forum, a lot of research and hard work I can confidently and honestly state that I have never taken a loss on a Lego set (and I'm also not sitting on anything that is already retired that I anticipate taking a loss on). Instead of focusing on the potential missed profit, I revel in every sale I make. I smile when I see a 'your item sold, prepare to ship now'. Life is good, but I'm a Lego Brick Half Full kinda guy, I guess.

To get back on track, I'm pretty happy with 10225. I think some of the ebay fee promos (coupled with sellers wanting to cash in for the holidays) has caused a little stagnation on some of the class of '14 sets. That being said, I doubt those that are selling are going to investors, so hopefully end users are opening up, building and displaying R2 this winter. I still think patience is the key here.

• Like 2

Ok... you guys know I am not famous for my positivity about the lego market in general. But concerning R2D2 I cannot be negative.

Just a reminder... 18 months ago an MISB Green Grocer could be had for 450 euro. Look at it now!

So just give the little droid a chance. There is still some stock to chew. But when it gets down a certain level... up it goes!

• Like 1

exclusive's taking a price hit a christmas is sort of a known trend.  people are out bargain hunting for gifts to give to someone else so its not too surprising they turn into a cheapa$$.  marketplace is flooded with sellers because of the perception that Christmas is the time to move stock (at a crappier price point)  which exceeds the demand for sets and then the price suffers.  let's see how any of these retired exclusives are doing in April and May when people are getting their tax refunds.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cladner said:

exclusive's taking a price hit a christmas is sort of a known trend.  people are out bargain hunting for gifts to give to someone else so its not too surprising they turn into a cheapa$$.  marketplace is flooded with sellers because of the perception that Christmas is the time to move stock (at a crappier price point)  which exceeds the demand for sets and then the price suffers.  let's see how any of these retired exclusives are doing in April and May when people are getting their tax refunds.

Agree 100%. Some are buying rather than selling exclusives now...

33 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

I hope this comment isn't about me. I think Tumbler is an amazing set. I just don't think it's gonna make anyone rich overnight as some have predicted. It's definitely not 10179...

absolutely was not thinking of you seriously ... at all ...

just the mood of this site is glass 90% empty lately

• Like 1