10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

Isn't that what I am saying? I did not mean united speedsausage. I was not disagreeing with you.

The power of investing in Lego or any other product is to use the tools that are given to you here but to be creative and go your own way.

The best that can happen is you investing in a set no one else believed in and it becoming a big hit.

Lol ok cool. I wasn't sure and wanted to clarify. You know how things can get blown out of the proportion on the net in seconds.

Back to R2.

• Like 1

Isn't that what I am saying? I did not mean united speedsausage. I was not disagreeing with you.

The power of investing in Lego or any other product is to use the tools that are given to you here but to be creative and go your own way.

The best that can happen is you investing in a set no one else believed in and it becoming a big hit.

Lol ok cool. I wasn't sure and wanted to clarify. You know how things can get blown out of the proportion on the net in seconds.

Back to R2.

Seriously, of the two I´d bet on ToO for Europe, it seems to be much scarcer  (r2 was around in shops for a couple of months after Sold out but ToO just disappeared of the face of the earth and had a quick sold out to retired status) and your 300 threshold is likely to be reached before the end of the year.

Edited by valenciaeric

I did not buy any DeLorean because of the advice against it, but I don't blame anyone. I believe they were all sincere. And at that time I didn't think anybody knew for sure what would happen. What if TLG would have one more production run of, say, 50,000 sets? It may have reversed the post-retirement market balance.

Its easy to say it after the fact. Who can be 100% sure of Death Star right now? If you say you are, may I ask how many % of your total asset is in that set?

Edited by legone3

I did not buy any DeLorean because of the advice against it, but I don't blame anyone. I believe they were all sincere. And at that time I didn't think anybody knew for sure what would happen. What if TLG would have one more production run of, say, 50,000 sets? It may have reversed the post-retirement market balance.

Its easy to say it after the fact. Who can be 100% sure of Death Star right now? If you say you are, may I ask how many % of your total asset is in that set?

I have zero DS, not that I don't think it will do well, but I would rather deal in smaller sets. I don't care if DS hits $1000 in 2, 3, or 4 years from now because I will have done better by flipping more items at a smaller margin, rather than parking a bunch of $$$$ in a single set for several years. delorean was from one of the most loved sci fi movie franchises in history, loved by a demographic that has money to spend, and even at 3x buy in is sub $100. So there are a ton of buyers willing to purchase it.

I had no idea from all of your considerable posts on this thread you do not like Star Wars or R2 D2.

Good to know

In my opinion, the films are some of the most overhyped, overmarketed and overrated, self conscious bottom of the barrel scraping "entertainment" that has been made in the last 30 years (the same could be said for the James Bond franchise, which I do like).  That aside, some of the Lego SW sets are great and have made me good money so my personal opinion is not worth much.

The point about R2 (and I have invested in it) is that its performance in Europe is ok but not mega. Also, there is a higher risk of it being remade than a number of the other sets that have outperformed it since EOL - we´ll see.....

Ideas plays in a  different league from SW....

In my case, 15% of portfolio is DS but all bought well below RRP so I am 100% sure of it. My 1 Delorean was sold to a friend of a friend for RRP but it made someone else very happy. Can´t win ´em all.

• Like 1

That is why you need to use your common sense and make your own decisions.

I believe 99.99% of the advice given here is sincere. Offcourse you are not obliged to share all the secrets of the blacksmith. 

you also have the fact that people love to be proved right. to say I told you it would do well. so 99% of the time you will get the truth from members

I will voice my opinion on a set, but I will not argue it as it is not self serving to do so.

EDIT, Maybe I do argue more than I think:

Edited by Follows Closely
Added link...

I do like R2 for R2, but I'm not sure TFA is going to have that much impact on his immediate outlook.  We can speculate, yes, but I'm not sure TFA is going to make it jump 25% - 50% over current market value in 2015 - 2016.  That's just my feeling, pure opinion, of course.

Edited by exciter1
  • Like 2

I do like R2 for R2, but I'm not sure TFA is going to have that much impact on his immediate outlook.  We can speculate, yes, but I'm not sure TFA is going to make it jump 25% - 50% over current market value in 2015 - 2016.  That's just my feeling, pure opinion, of course.

That is the beauty of this set. It doesn't need TFA to grow. Just wait another year when most sets are gone from ebay and amazon. You'll pee in your pants from laughing. 

That is the beauty of this set. It doesn't need TFA to grow. Just wait another year when most sets are gone from ebay and amazon. You'll pee in your pants from laughing. 

Darn, after reading your comment I don't want to open my only R2 set.  I bought it with the intent on building it.  i was late to this party, and paid $400 CDN for it.  What a dilemma.

Darn, after reading your comment I don't want to open my only R2 set.  I bought it with the intent on building it.  i was late to this party, and paid $400 CDN for it.  What a dilemma.

If you got it to build just build it. You can always make money. You can even sell it used down the road if you decide to. Enjoy the build and invest in something else.