10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

That s interesting, because it Russia you can buy it for 200 usd. Anyone want to make orders? Anyway, what is the best way for me to sell it to US, if I can buy it in Russia for 200 usd each?

Are they legit Lego products? If so that's a steal considering it's going around $450 used each. 

213 usd actually, there is a lot of R2D2 boxes left in Moscow in LEGO shops, should I buy them by this price?

I think at least 100-200 boxes available and price is 11999 roubles for each. Does it make any interest?

​Russians are no fools when it comes to premium products and they have read the script on this set well in terms of European demand. It might be worthwhile selling them online abroad if you can get around the invetiable shipping and customs issues and costs but the main issue is what the Ruble-USD exchange rate does in the future. If the ruble recovers then you will not make much of a profit.

I would probably leave this one and look for any Town Halls or other modulars or SSD´s as that would be where the big money is and they could be sold in the Eurozone for much less headache.

​The numbers don´t lie, unfortunately. It is the worst performing big exclusive that retired in 2014 in Europe. Even some non exclusive sets like 7965 and 70010 have outperformed it. Of course, present values don´t guarantee the future and, to be fair, it has done better than 10223 or 10235.

All of us that have money tied up in R2s want it to do well but, so far, it is doing Ok at best.

Time will tell, but it wouldn´t be the first set I would invest in now at current market value if I had missed out on last year´s class.

​Not doubting you, but I find this really curious.  I couldn't care less about R2 myself, but it's hard to see why he'd be more popular in the States.  There's nothing especially 'American' about him.

There are plenty of sets which get premium pricing in certain regions. I can get much more if I sell Mixels s1 to the US than I can locally. 
As for R2, the upcoming Star Wars boom will be interesting. Jurassic World is obliterating the box office in spite of previous sequels which show me Episode 7 is going to be monstrous. Sets like this will become highly sought after. Ride out the wave and be patient :)

​Not doubting you, but I find this really curious.  I couldn't care less about R2 myself, but it's hard to see why he'd be more popular in the States.  There's nothing especially 'American' about him.

​Being in the Treasures of American History exhibit makes him seem especially American to a lot

http://airandspace.si.edu/explore-and-learn/multimedia/detail.cfm?id=1062

Finally, my R2 shelf is complete. Thx for everyone's contribution. I think I'm going to start another row of these. These will not be on the market again for a minimum of 4 years. 

Damn son. You tryin to corner the market? I will be sure to get out before you get in.

This morning's post by Seth seems appropriate for this thread.

Seth Godin: Overpriced

​I'm aware of my own shortcomings in set picking.  That's why I bought 15 10225 instead of zero.  I would seriously rather have a whole fleet of Chima fire bikes than one assembled 10225 (for display, or especially to play with).  But I'm not my market.  The people who are best at this are probably those who are AFOL's themselves.  I like Lego and owned a couple hundred dollars worth of classic space sets as a kid, but I can't see spending $360 on a 1-foot tall plastic statue of R2.  On the other hand, when I mentioned this to a friend the other day, he pointed out that I've spent far more than that on Magic cards, and they're just little pieces of cardboard with pictures on them.  Touché.

Edited by GhostDad
  • Like 3

​I'm aware of my own shortcomings in set picking.  That's why I bought 15 10225 instead of zero.  I would seriously rather have a whole fleet of Chima fire bikes than one assembled 10225 (for display, or especially to play with).  But I'm not my market.  The people who are best at this are probably those who are AFOL's themselves.  I like Lego and owned a couple hundred dollars worth of classic space sets as a kid, but I can't see spending $360 on a 1-foot tall plastic statue of R2.  On the other hand, when I mentioned this to a friend the other day, he pointed out that I've spent far more than that on Magic cards, and they're just little pieces of cardboard with pictures on them.  Touché.

​That might actually be an interesting use for Chima fire bikes. I'd like to see what you could come up with MOC-wise with enough of them!