10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

​I walk by that store every week to visit a client. R2 was staring at me out of the window for a good 5 months after retirement but I passed.

I have nothing against this model (or indeed any Lego set that has a good ROI) but being the only big exclusive retired in 2014 that was still available till very recently tends to suggest it isn´t as sought after as TH, HH or GE, to name but three.

​And that´s another reason to steer clear of this set in Europe, in my opinion. If the already mediocre European residuals are being propped up by sales to resellers from other zones who missed out on it last year, what does that say about REAL demand for it?

Bricklink shifted a grand total of 6 new units in the last 2 months at an avg price of 260 euros compared with more than 100 GE´s for the same price but RRP of only  150 euros or 46 HH at avg 330 euros for a similar RRP to R2 and let´s not even mention TH figures!

If you missed out on all of the above and are paying catchup, then R2 is  the cheapest to acquire now but I predict that it will be the one of the 4 above sets with the lowest resale value by the end of 2015 in Europe. If Pet Shop retires this year then I can even see it surpassing R2 by end of 2016 too.

​Valenciaeric,

You start quoting yourself now?

Reminds me of Paulie Gualtieri from the Soprano's :P

Edited by Ciglione
  • Like 1

Why is everyone so negative? In Europe it is at 250 euro already. Depending on your buy-in you will make money already. 

Just be patient until December/January before making a final judgement about this marvelous set.

I have 14 of these and I have faith in this. It will probably not become like the SSD but 400 euro at Xmas is not impossible. After that it will slowly climb even higher.

Just my 0.02

Why is everyone so negative? In Europe it is at 250 euro already. Depending on your buy-in you will make money already. 

Just be patient until December/January before making a final judgement about this marvelous set.

I have 14 of these and I have faith in this. It will probably not become like the SSD but 400 euro at Xmas is not impossible. After that it will slowly climb even higher.

Just my 0.02

​I think 400 Euro at Xmas 2015 is rather unrealistic (even though I would appreciate it ;-) ). If it can go up to 300 Euro till Xmas that would be great in my opinion.

Not much of a horde effect in NZ it seems! I have difficult seeing how prices will go so high if no one is buying them at retail (I assume they are at RRP in the wild), especially in a smaller (but very beautiful) country like yours.

​Thanks Valenciaeric NZ is LOTR's country, :derisive:

Yeah not as many main stream lego fans out here, some small clusters of AFOL's dotted around the country. Its not as hip over here to be a lego fan,

Toy world still has some at retail price in store, but not online. I guessing once the new movie drops, R2 will hit the $1000 NZD mark come christmas on the secondary market.

Just my 0.02

​Valenciaeric,

You start quoting yourself now?

Reminds me of Paulie Gualtieri from the Soprano's :P

​Why not? Some of my best arguments have been with myself and it´s impossible to lose. With 14 of them you´d better hope the new film gives them a kick in the pants or you´ll be having godfather style mob meetings with 14 droids at the family table for years to come.

• Like 1

​Thanks Valenciaeric NZ is LOTR's country, :derisive:

Yeah not as many main stream lego fans out here, some small clusters of AFOL's dotted around the country. Its not as hip over here to be a lego fan,

Toy world still has some at retail price in store, but not online. I guessing once the new movie drops, R2 will hit the $1000 NZD mark come christmas on the secondary market.

​1000 NZD is around 600 euros it would seem. Guess you would need to buy up ALL the unsold ones and sell them to North America as I don´t see it happening otherwise. Our fellow, Ciglione would be content with 400 this Xmas and even that seems a tad optimistic in my eyes. This one is probably going to be in the Arkham Asylum division rather than Champions´ League like the modulars.

​Why not? Some of my best arguments have been with myself and it´s impossible to lose. With 14 of them you´d better hope the new film gives them a kick in the pants or you´ll be having godfather style mob meetings with 14 droids at the family table for years to come.

​If I were in Spain you would be right. I would be seriously worried about any set. But the german market still seems pretty healthy. So no sit-downs needed here. 

• Like 1

​have you watched the last world cup?

​Yes... certainly. But that is one year ago. I was referring to Valencia winning the Euro League and Barcelona being in the finals of the Champions League. 

Although I hope Juventus will beat them in the finals.

​Yes... certainly. But that is one year ago. I was referring to Valencia winning the Euro League and Barcelona being in the finals of the Champions League. 

Although I hope Juventus will beat them in the finals.

​Winning the Europa League???? When did that happen? Must have been too busy buying Town Halls to realize!

​And that´s another reason to steer clear of this set in Europe, in my opinion. If the already mediocre European residuals are being propped up by sales to resellers from other zones who missed out on it last year, what does that say about REAL demand for it?

Bricklink shifted a grand total of 6 new units in the last 2 months at an avg price of 260 euros compared with more than 100 GE´s for the same price but RRP of only  150 euros or 46 HH at avg 330 euros for a similar RRP to R2 and let´s not even mention TH figures!

If you missed out on all of the above and are paying catchup, then R2 is  the cheapest to acquire now but I predict that it will be the one of the 4 above sets with the lowest resale value by the end of 2015 in Europe. If Pet Shop retires this year then I can even see it surpassing R2 by end of 2016 too.

​This seems a little harsh. 

R2D2 will be a hit in Europe too. Certainly if TLG decides one day to make his friend as a UCS. 

​This seems a little harsh. 

R2D2 will be a hit in Europe too. Certainly if TLG decides one day to make his friend as a UCS. 

​The numbers don´t lie, unfortunately. It is the worst performing big exclusive that retired in 2014 in Europe. Even some non exclusive sets like 7965 and 70010 have outperformed it. Of course, present values don´t guarantee the future and, to be fair, it has done better than 10223 or 10235.

All of us that have money tied up in R2s want it to do well but, so far, it is doing Ok at best.

Time will tell, but it wouldn´t be the first set I would invest in now at current market value if I had missed out on last year´s class.

​The numbers don´t lie, unfortunately. It is the worst performing big exclusive that retired in 2014 in Europe. Even some non exclusive sets like 7965 and 70010 have outperformed it. Of course, present values don´t guarantee the future and, to be fair, it has done better than 10223 or 10235.

All of us that have money tied up in R2s want it to do well but, so far, it is doing Ok at best.

Time will tell, but it wouldn´t be the first set I would invest in now at current market value if I had missed out on last year´s class.

​I think R2D2 will do a much better job in the US market. I bought a couple from a forum member at $330 each and I am pretty satisfied.

R2D2 is completely gone from the wild and the lowest price on Amazon now is $400+.

I have faith (like a lot of other forum members in the US)  this set will jump to $800 by the end of this year.