10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

Raising the question of...what percentage of advice on this site is designed to help the members versus mislead them?

That is why you need to use your common sense and make your own decisions.

I believe 99.99% of the advice given here is sincere. Offcourse you are not obliged to share all the secrets of the blacksmith. 

Edited by Ciglione

That's is where it gets tricky . I don't think anyone is under any obligation to spoonfeed anyone else , but that is a far cry from intentionally misleading someone else . 

This site give you (anyone ) all the tools to get going and be successful but if you choose to sit back and wait for others to tell you what to do then don't expect to be as successful as them .  

Edited by Bold-Arrow
  • Like 2

That's is where it gets tricky . I don't think anyone is under any obligation to spoonfeed anyone else , but that is a far cry from intentionally misleading someone else . 

This site give you (anyone ) all the tools to get going and be successful but if you choose to sit back and wait for others to tell you what to do then don't expect to be as successful as them .  

Exactly! Everyone knows the saying "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime". Brickpicker is a tool, some people are just better at utilizing it than others.

What we should be very cautious about is to become a united sausage. If we all would buy the same sets in huge quantities it will decrease chances of it becoming a success.  

I dare to say that except for R2 being a very good set the sceptism about it helped it alot to be less hoarded. Thus increasing more in value after EOL. I exposed my opinion on this set before it went EOL. I have said it was a set with big potential and acted accordingly. Nevertheless there were the doubters who said it was ugly and it needed clearasil. Who am I to persuade them? It is not a religion we are selling here. We are not here to convert people. 

• Like 2

Raising the question of...what percentage of advice on this site is designed to help the members versus mislead them?

I don't think there is much intentional misdirection going on here but not everyone wants to say what they are investing in and why they are investing in it at the time.  If you've put in the time and done your research there's no reason to give away all of your advice for free.  I think most members are helpful but there are a few things you may want to keep to yourself.

• Like 1

All I know is if a united sausage can roll a square box, I want one!

And yes, people want to be right (post of the week, sorry for no quote). We get especially truthful about our opinions in debates of sorts, which this thread had no shortage of almost a year ago. Ewok Village recently underwent much the same process, it would seem. Pay attention, folks.

What we should be very cautious about is to become a united sausage. If we all would buy the same sets in huge quantities it will decrease chances of it becoming a success.  

I dare to say that except for R2 being a very good set the sceptism about it helped it alot to be less hoarded. Thus increasing more in value after EOL. I exposed my opinion on this set before it went EOL. I have said it was a set with big potential and acted accordingly. Nevertheless there were the doubters who said it was ugly and it needed clearasil. Who am I to persuade them? It is not a religion we are selling here. We are not here to convert people. 

I think my previous post was misinterpreted. I wasn't saying convert everybody and help them unequivocally. I was referring to Brickpicker as a whole being a tool with all of its data, blogs, alerts, daily deals etc. will give any newbie or veteran the tools to do well if they utilize it properly and do their own homework.

Sausages Unite!

I think my previous post was misinterpreted. I wasn't saying convert everybody and help them unequivocally. I was referring to Brickpicker as a whole being a tool with all of its data, blogs, alerts, daily deals etc. will give any newbie or veteran the tools to do well if they utilize it properly and do their own homework.

Sausages Unite!

Isn't that what I am saying? I did not mean united speedsausage. I was not disagreeing with you.

The power of investing in Lego or any other product is to use the tools that are given to you here but to be creative and go your own way.

The best that can happen is you investing in a set no one else believed in and it becoming a big hit.