10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

​That might actually be an interesting use for Chima fire bikes. I'd like to see what you could come up with MOC-wise with enough of them!

​If Lego made a 'Pub' set, which I'm guessing will never happen, Chima Speedorz would make for a neat biker club MOC.

I'm aware of my own shortcomings in set picking.  That's why I bought 15 10225 instead of zero.  I would seriously rather have a whole fleet of Chima fire bikes than one assembled 10225 (for display, or especially to play with).  But I'm not my market.  The people who are best at this are probably those who are AFOL's themselves.  I like Lego and owned a couple hundred dollars worth of classic space sets as a kid, but I can't see spending $360 on a 1-foot tall plastic statue of R2.  On the other hand, when I mentioned this to a friend the other day, he pointed out that I've spent far more than that on Magic cards, and they're just little pieces of cardboard with pictures on them.  Touché.

Chima fire bikes with magic cards stuck in the 'spokes'

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I may be wrong but isn't 10225 easily bricklinked?  That would put a limit I think on how high it can go.  There's also the chance Lego will release a smaller version especially if Wall-E sells well.

10190 is easily bricklinked and it sells for $1500 new, $700-900 used.  10182 is easily bricklinked, except for a couple of parts, and it sells for almost $2000 new, 800-1100used. Used R2-D2 values do not worry about the 1/1000 of 1% percent of people that will bricklink this set.

New R2-D2 is $$.

• Like 4

I never thought R2 was as big of a seller as it should have been (until the retirement dance that is).  And I think that had a lot to do with it's price point.  If Lego were to release an 'Ideas' sized R2 set (600 or so pieces, $60 price point) it would sell like crazy.

• Like 1

I never thought R2 was as big of a seller as it should have been (until the retirement dance that is).  And I think that had a lot to do with it's price point.  If Lego were to release an 'Ideas' sized R2 set (600 or so pieces, $60 price point) it would sell like crazy.

Yeah seriously, look at the new Wall-E set. a $50-$60 similarly-sized R2 set would sell like hotcakes

Random story about these R2 sets... I had 5 mint sealed boxes that I put away in my storage room. I left them in the lego store bags but had them piled up on top of each other laying flat. My sister's idiot boyfriend had to get to the breaker box in the room and moved a bunch of my other sets all on top of this lone 5 stack. He said they all felt light but I had to angrily explain that 5 pounds alone is light, but when you keep adding 5 more pounds, it gets heavy very fast. As you can see where this story is going, he managed to box crush every single mint R2 I had. I about had a heart attack and screamed in rage when I saw them like that. Had a single one been spared I would not be that mad because it would be the one I keep sealed indefinitely for myself, but then again this is a very valuable lesson that if you want to keep something nice then you need to not be lazy and properly store away your stuff. You just never know when some non-investor idiot will come around and ruin your stuff.

• Like 1

"...You just never know when some non-investor idiot will come around and ruin your stuff..."

This has less to do with a lack of sense for  collecting/investing than with lacking respect for other people's property in general. If I ever touch something that belongs to someone else, I ask beforehand if I may do so (or it may be clear it is ok to out of the situation itself)

Edited by rfish
change

Random story about these R2 sets... I had 5 mint sealed boxes that I put away in my storage room. I left them in the lego store bags but had them piled up on top of each other laying flat. My sister's idiot boyfriend had to get to the breaker box in the room and moved a bunch of my other sets all on top of this lone 5 stack. He said they all felt light but I had to angrily explain that 5 pounds alone is light, but when you keep adding 5 more pounds, it gets heavy very fast. As you can see where this story is going, he managed to box crush every single mint R2 I had. I about had a heart attack and screamed in rage when I saw them like that. Had a single one been spared I would not be that mad because it would be the one I keep sealed indefinitely for myself, but then again this is a very valuable lesson that if you want to keep something nice then you need to not be lazy and properly store away your stuff. You just never know when some non-investor idiot will come around and ruin your stuff.

I'm confident you'll still get very money for them. Trust me, it's much better to have crushed boxes than not at all...

this is a very valuable lesson that if you want to keep something nice then you need to not be lazy and properly store away your stuff. You just never know when some non-investor idiot will come around and ruin your stuff.

We have all been there. Now I store my sets in heavy duty boxes so someone could stand on them and it wont be a problem. In my experience box condition does not affect pricing much at all it is just a royal pain to have to take pics rather than use stock photos. I'd ask the idiot boyfriend if he knows how to use a camera.

I've had this problem, only with cats.  They're even less appreciative of MISB lego exclusives than your sister's boyfriend.  Imagine finding that a "fixed" but nonetheless territorial male feline has "autographed" a stack of MISB Sandcrawlers...

I've had this problem, only with cats.  They're even less appreciative of MISB lego exclusives than your sister's boyfriend.  Imagine finding that a "fixed" but nonetheless territorial male feline has "autographed" a stack of MISB Sandcrawlers...

That is why I do not own a cat.

• Like 1